Pine Sol Toxic to Cats

finnlacey

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The absolute safest thing in the world used to clean anything is plain old white vinegar and water. Equal parts of each. It's cheap, cleans GREAT and is not toxic to pets. I use it to clean my floors, counter tops, etc. Much, much safer than chemicals. Even for us humans!

brandy rowe

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Some very useful info here!

I've been using Palm Olive dish soap to clean my girl's litterbox.  I figured if it was safe enough for me to clean my dishes with it's safe enough to clean her box with. http://www.colgate.com/app/Palmolive/US/EN/Product-Ingredients.cwsp   I googled it and it's saying you can use it to wash your pets.  I don't think I would go that far though.

I do use Fantastik in my bathroom and on my kitchen floor. Oh dear - I fear I must find a new cleaner!!!! I found a page of natural cleaners:

http://www.wildroots.com/natural_cleansers.html

meowmmy_aprile

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hrmmm I use Method brand cleaners and hand soaps. Now I need to go check them. They are supposed to be non toxic but now a days who can believe anything on the package.

finnlacey

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
yeah, advertising rules are really terrible. Anyone can claim something is non toxic. I always, always read the ingredients and look up everything, chemicals and all.

katelyn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This is horrible to know about the Carmex (and throat lozenges, rubs, etc...)
Lovey is ATTRACTED to these products. When I am put on Vicks Vapo Rub, he likes to lick at it..(I do discourage it cuz its just weird to have him licking my neck ferociously)...He also licks Burts Bees Lip Balm off my lips too though I doubt this it poisonous.

Luckily, he hasn't had a problem but I do wonder why some cats are attracted to cleaners and the products that contain camphor or mint (or whatever it is they are attracted to...it seems to be anything with that pine/mint oil scent) if its poisonous.

I recently learned that catnip is from the mint plant family, so anything smelling like mint, cats are attracted to, perhaps because they fall under the "mint" family.  Cats do not know if something is poisonous or not and us humans can mask the smell of anything poisonous with pleasant "mint" smells.  I hope that helps!

newbieneedshelp

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I realize that this is an old thread, but I'm really worried. I found out about the Pine Sol yesterday when I searched to see if it killed ringworm on surfaces but saw instead that it could kill cats. I had washed the floors with it, no cats in rooms until it was dry. But I put a decent amount down. One room I closed off and rinsed with plain water, it still has the aroma, but mild. I have kept my other cat out of the first room. How do I remedy already having used it?

If I wet it again do I 'remake' the toxic level, and how do I know if I got all of it up? How do I get ALL OF IT up?

Last edited:

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I did not know this was toxic to cats even dry, I've used it for many years to clean cages/kennels/crates/floors/windows/beds but they were always rinsed twice and completely dry before the cats had contact with it. I'm very careful but now I'm wondering what to use instead? I also use clorox with care but that's what shelters/rescues use. I use vinegar and baking soda to clean litterboxes.

Last edited:

newbieneedshelp

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I usually use bleach and remove the cats from rooms. it dries quickly and doesn't form the same residual as an oil. But I used the pine sol since the area was wood flooring, It's very rainy and damp here. I'm afraid to wet the floor and not have it dry properly, but she also sleeps in that room at night. I feel like a terrible person. I think I might invest in a good steam cleaner.

Should I go down there and wet it all up?  What are signs of toxicity in the cats?  She seems itchy, but that could be other things. Otherwise she is normal and quite obnoxious at the moment. I do not want to shorten her life.

Last edited:

wrhapsody

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just want to ask if any of you have ever actually read the label for Pinesol?

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I just want to ask if any of you have ever actually read the label for Pinesol?
Actually, Yes I have. Once you get past the point talking of federal regulations of using the product. That its supposed to be rinsed if its on a food contact surface, otherwise, it needn't be rinsed. doesn't say much about the toxicity of it regarding cats.

Last edited:

claudia simoes

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Actually, Yes I have. Once you get past the point talking of federal regulations of using the product. That its supposed to be rinsed if its on a food contact surface, otherwise, it needn't be rinsed. doesn't say much about the toxicity of it regarding cats.
Hello,

I just heard about phenol and lysol in some cleaners being harmful to cats... I'm living in Egypt and have 2 long fur kitties I adopted about 2 years ago. I've cleaned with Dettol before because that's the main cleaning agent here, but I've switched to Clorox about 2 years ago as well. Some people say that Clorox is also not good for cats... I'm not sure what cleaners to pick now. The go-to ones here are Dettol, General, Clorox, Mr. Muscle, Pine-Sol (I do not go for Egyptian brands because I don't trust that they are well regulated). It's important to note that some of these do not have labels in English, or Portuguese (my native language), so the rule about checking labels is hard to apply here. I have visited Pine-Sol's website and I see no "phenol" or "lysol" listed. Am I missing something? Or maybe they changed their ingredients to exclude phenol?

Thank you

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

libbysmit

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I use Pine Sol on my kitchen floor and wondered about using it in my cats' room so I wrote to Pine Sol and this is what the nice people there told me:

"Pine-Sol[emoji]174[/emoji] products are recommended for use in pet areas and all of our products are designed to be safe and meet federal safety regulations when label instructions and cautionary text are followed. As a general rule, you should keep all cleaning products out of reach of children and pets."

It says 'pet safe' right on the package, I think to lie they'd be opening themselves up to a lawsuit!! Maybe some cats are sensitive. I'm going to rinse the cats' floor, but it needs serious disinfecting before I put down new kitty rugs!

ibrae

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I cleaned Stumpy's litter tray with PineSol!!

We also use PineSol diluted in hot water to clean our tiled surfaces. We'll have to make sure she's nowhere around when we do that as I daresay it would give off fumes in the steam from the water!
My partner has been out of state for a couple of months with sick son. When she was here, we had been using Pine Sol for our floors. We were having a terrible time with our new cat being so aggressive. Just couldn't figure out what was wrong. Since my partner has been gone I have only used the Pine Sol twice (just used water other times) and my cat has been aggressive twice. I am sure now that it was the fumes of the Pine Sol that did that to him. After I had put him in the other room and used fans to air out room, he was his sweet self again. We will not be using Pine Sol or any other product toxic to pets again. I feel so bad that I wasn't careful about it before.

Cpgirlee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Warning.....
Do not use Pine Sol to clean litter boxs...
Do not expose cats to Pine Sol, Hexol or cleaners that contain ingredients with "phenol."
Wood based cat litters use softwoods like pine, fir and spruce, all of which are conifers and as such, they contain phenols and acids that are toxic to cats.
Phenols are detrimental to the feline neurological system, causing disorders or even death.

The first signs of neurologic toxicity to watch for are facial tics and unusual whisker and ear movements.

Phenols in cat litter also cause respiratory distress in cats.

Kiln-drying does not remove phenols from wood it only removes water.

Cpgirlee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So what sort of easily found disinfectants do people recommend that are safe for kitties? We're still pretty new to the US and don't know many products. We chose PineSol because it looked similar to the Australian Pine-o-Clean
White vinegar is a natural and highly effective disinfectant.
Do not rely on manufacturers to produce products that are cat safe, they are in business to sell at a profit. Lawsuits and recalls are not unusual, however, it is our job as pet parents to protect our pets at all cost.

Many products made for people are unsafe too and yet they are available to buy. We must decide if it is in our best interest to purchase them.

I personally check each and every ingredient in any products I am considering prior to use. Leaving it up to anyone else is simply not an option.

Cpgirlee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,

I just heard about phenol and lysol in some cleaners being harmful to cats... I'm living in Egypt and have 2 long fur kitties I adopted about 2 years ago. I've cleaned with Dettol before because that's the main cleaning agent here, but I've switched to Clorox about 2 years ago as well. Some people say that Clorox is also not good for cats... I'm not sure what cleaners to pick now. The go-to ones here are Dettol, General, Clorox, Mr. Muscle, Pine-Sol (I do not go for Egyptian brands because I don't trust that they are well regulated). It's important to note that some of these do not have labels in English, or Portuguese (my native language), so the rule about checking labels is hard to apply here. I have visited Pine-Sol's website and I see no "phenol" or "lysol" listed. Am I missing something? Or maybe they changed their ingredients to exclude phenol?

Thank you
The word PINE is the important thing here. PINE wood contains phenols and these are extracted for use in many products including pine cat litters.
They are not going to say "phenols" on the label, only pine. We must investigate for ourselves.

Visit:
Danger for Cats: Pine and Other Essential Oils

"Household cleansers kill germs, but they can also kill cats. Phenol, a common ingredient in cleaning and construction products, is particularly toxic. Cumulatively, it can cause neurological conditions"
Visit:
Phenol & Cats