Pine litter cost?

LokiWolf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Okay so I'm sick to death of clay litter and corn litter is way too expensive so I looked up pine litter at Tractor supply. $8 great. Put three in cart and then looked at shipping. $44 to ship in 24 hours and delivery was like $20!! The only way to get it at actual value is to drive. I can't drive. This is BS!! I need to cut down on litter cost since I have five kitties and clay litter really sucks. But this is more expensive and less convenient than if I had Petsmart ship me 40 lbs of clay litter. Ugh!!!!

Any suggestions?

Mv00

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is the clay litter you use the clumping type? I personally have never used pine, but given how expensive everything is, especially wood, I imagine it's pricey. What's your reasoning for wanting to use the pine? I only use the Arm & hammer clump and seal which is virtually dust free, clumps well and the blue label has a nice clean scent (I think it's fresh scent). I've never had any issue with any of my three cats (1 senior, 2 kittens) not using the box with that litter either and there's virtually no smell, except the fresh scent. I personally don't care for the multi cat smelling one (reddish label). I get the autoship from Petco and order at least three 28lb boxes at a time and it's free shipping. I also receive them within a couple days.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LokiWolf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Is the clay litter you use the clumping type? I personally have never used pine, but given how expensive everything is, especially wood, I imagine it's pricey. What's your reasoning for wanting to use the pine? I only use the Arm & hammer clump and seal which is virtually dust free, clumps well and the blue label has a nice clean scent (I think it's fresh scent). I've never had any issue with any of my three cats (1 senior, 2 kittens) not using the box with that litter either and there's virtually no smell, except the fresh scent. I personally don't care for the multi cat smelling one (reddish label). I get the autoship from Petco and order at least three 28lb boxes at a time and it's free shipping. I also receive them within a couple days.
The clay either stays wet and coats the box even while clumping or scatters everywhere. It also cakes on the kittens paws. I'm sick of cleaning it up. Plus it gets expensive with five kitties.

Mv00

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh okay. The one I use I never had an issue with it being stuck in their paws or with it sticking on the bottom. I also put in a minimum of 3" and use the really deep boxes as well as an enclosed one to keep it more contained. I also have those extra large litter mats underneath. I have tried the crystal kind and hated it. I don't even remember what brand it was that I got it so long ago. Good luck with your search 😊.

ReginaldElton

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Do you not have a Tractor Supply in your area? 40 lbs of pine pellets horse bedding ( same as cat litter) is $6.49. Shipping is free if you use their TSC credit card, just be sure to pay it off each month.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Do you not have a Tractor Supply in your area? 40 lbs of pine pellets horse bedding ( same as cat litter) is $6.49. Shipping is free if you use their TSC credit card, just be sure to pay it off each month.
That's what I would try, too. LokiWolf LokiWolf do you have a local TSC? Do you know anyone who would be willing to pick a few bags up for you and deliver them?

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I used doordash and it came to about $24 for 3 bags.

They are taking to it pretty well. Thank goodness.
Oh good! I'm so glad you got it delivered and they are taking to it. I've used it before for my cats, and may go back to it soon.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Okay so I'm sick to death of clay litter and corn litter is way too expensive so I looked up pine litter at Tractor supply. $8 great. Put three in cart and then looked at shipping. $44 to ship in 24 hours and delivery was like $20!! The only way to get it at actual value is to drive. I can't drive. This is BS!! I need to cut down on litter cost since I have five kitties and clay litter really sucks. But this is more expensive and less convenient than if I had Petsmart ship me 40 lbs of clay litter. Ugh!!!!

Any suggestions?
Please ensure it is pine litter made specifically for cats and not for livestock or rodents. Pine and other wood litters for cats have treatment to remove the phenols, which are toxic to cats.

Assuming that it is cat litter, definitely use the internet to see if someone nearby can pick up your order too!

Unfortunately everything has gone up in price. Check around to different cat sites that deliver in your area and watch for sales and try to use subscribe and save to your advantage when you can. Amazon also gets sales on cat litter.

You could also try paper litter. It's inexpensive as well.

metropical

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I was curious too as neither their bag nor the Top-Bedding from Canada specifically says kiln dried or phenol removed.
However, from TS I received the following response the other day

"Thank you for contacting the Tractor Supply Customer Solutions Team. I am so excited to hear you’re interested in our Pelletized Bedding, SKU #: 2181006. This product is 100% kiln dried. "

Top-Bedding (from former Agway near us) said:
" You can use the small animal pellet and the horse bedding pellets for your small animals. They are the same wood pellets, also 100% natural and safe for your animals."

StellaMaris

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Any suggestions?
Not sure if you already have a solution, but I use Arm and Hammer "Feline Pine" litter, and it works really well! My two kittens transitioned well from a clay type (which was too hard to find); it absorbs smells and it lasts a long time. I think it's well priced...40 lbs for under $22.

I buy mine from Chewy: https://www.chewy.com/feline-pine-original-non-clumping/dp/32587

Best of luck with your kitties!