Pills that leave a gross taste in your mouth!

kittyl0ve4

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I kno of antibiotics that have a bad taste, but any antibiotic i have ever been given has never left a nasty taste in my mouth after taking it.

One thing that they were giving me for a while to help me sleep is Xanax, and the taste from that is HORRIBLE!!

spatulahandle

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I took prenatal vitamins once that tasted like eggs...they smelled like eggs too and I used to get really bad heartburn with them, so I would taste them all day long.

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think all pills taste gross. I don't even take vitamins (but have a great diet, so don't worry too much

spudsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I had Pneumonia last year and was hospitalized twice, I was taking tons of antibiotics. I'm not sure of the name of the one that was the worst...but everything I ate tasted weird. The only thing I could tolerate was yogurt and chicken soup and Ginger Ale!

crystalh

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I buy fruit roll ups cut it to size & cover my yucky tasting pills with it. It works awesome! Best I have came up with.

Docs Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I once asked my vet if she had ANY idea how bad prednisone tasted. We had been discussing how to keep my cat from regurging the pill....

She had no CLUE [emoji]128552[/emoji][emoji]128552[/emoji][emoji]128552[/emoji][emoji]128552[/emoji][emoji]128552[/emoji]:O
So occasionally I take a minitaste of what I'm trying to give to my kitties....

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I have never given any of the cats a medicine that I didn't taste. Banshee was on liquid theophylline before it came out in pill form. When the vet handed me the bottle the first time, I immediately opened the bottle, stuck my finger on the opening and tasted it (like an unsweetened maple syrup to me). The vet just looked at me and started laughing. She said, "I knew you were going to do that, Pam. I just knew it!" But that's what I do.

My Osteo-BiFlex tastes terrible. I just throw the pill into my mouth with the other pills I take in the morning and chase it all down with a large swig of water. I'm glad I don't have to take any prescription meds that are horrid. I do like the idea of using fruit roll-ups.

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I take 4 different scripts and thank goodness none of them leave a bad taste in my mouth.  I take my pills with orange juice rather than water.  Believe  it or not, water makes me sick to my stomach especially in the morning.

I also have RLS but not often, I don't know what causes it.

sweettoepiesmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I hate pills that have a bitter after taste. I'm taking some steroids that leave an awful taste in my mouth that's almost impossible to get rid of. I melted some small pieces of chocolate bars in a small glass bowl. Don't melt too long - just long enough to make it a creamy consistency. Then drop the pill into the melted chocolate coating completely & place on wax paper in the refrigerator. Take pill when chocolate is hard. [emoji]128522[/emoji] No more bad taste!

Last edited by a moderator: