Pillow foot help

Profsmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think my cat has pillow foot, or at the very least his paw is infected. He started excessively grooming his limbs the day before yesterday, front paws in particular. I checked yesterday day morning to see what was going on and there was black gunk on the fur between the paw pads on the front left foot. Also a bad smell. His paw got more swollen by the end of the day. He is eating, walking/jumping, drinking, using the litter box, but his gait/ steps are starting to sound “off”. Professor is 17, indoor, single cat in a single person home, arthritic, with stage 2 kidney disease and possible thyroid issues. He is permanently on revolution to prevent return of fleas/ticks/mites.

I called the vet twice yesterday and haven’t heard back to schedule an appointment. The person on the phone said she couldn’t provide advice on how to support him in the meantime because she was only admin. An emergency hospital is a last resort and might not even be feasible as he needs to be on a lot of gabapentin to even let a person who isn’t me touch him (and then is still aggressive). Without sedation, vets have sent him home and we’re unable to do his exam. So a scheduled appontment in a place he knows is ideal. I am also low income and my vet is for low income people which helps.

I am going to call again when they open and be more assertive but I’m feeling so sad and scared of this infection spreading. If anyone has advice on how I can take care of him and his paw to mitigate it worsening before getting appropriate care, I would appreciate it.

Kris107

Cat mom, cat foster mom
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It sounds like an infection (due to smell and swelling) and needs to see a vet. If your vet can't get you in, call another. He needs to get the wound looked at and some antibiotics. You can let any vet know ahead of time that your cat might require some sedation for the appointment. I think there are plenty of cats who are a bit feisty at the vet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Profsmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks! I managed to get an appointment this afternoon. He is currently doing his laps-around-the-apartment-after-gabapentin routine.

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks! I managed to get an appointment this afternoon. He is currently doing his laps-around-the-apartment-after-gabapentin routine.
That's good you were able to get him in to see the vet. May I ask what his dosage of gabapentin is? My little lady's vet gave us a script yesterday for it and I just don't know the usual dosage is (hers seems high) or how a kitty on gabapentin usually acts

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Profsmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He's 6.9 kg / 15.2 lbs. The most effective dosage is 2ml the night before and 2ml before the appointment (administered about 1.5 hours before). He is still cagey though. Any less and he still swats. Unfortunately they only were able to give me 1.5ml today, and I didn't have any the night before, so I hope it will be ok.

As for the behaviour, this is the only cat I've had so I can only speak for him. But it is hard to get it in his mouth, then he starts foaming at the mouth, drooling, and paces around for about 40 minutes. After that he finds a place to sit and starts to chill out.

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As for the behaviour, this is the only cat I've had so I can only speak for him. But it is hard to get it in his mouth, then he starts foaming at the mouth, drooling, and paces around for about 40 minutes
Does he drool because it is liquid? Our vet was going to do capsules but I asked to get it compounded into a tablet. I can pill her way better than liquid. The reason I asked for a tablet versus the capsul is because I don't want to pill her and it get stuck in her throat because capsules get sticky.. she is 10.8 lbs and her dosage is 50 mg I'm nervous it will knock her little butt out. She just needs it before her vet visit because she is so scared she cries, pants, and sheds like crazy from the time we leave the house until we get home. She doesnt get agressive at all she kind of freezes and slinks down on the table. The vet can do anything to her and not get scratched or anything. Like yesterday she had follow up xrays. Ahe does fine during them its just she is so scared.. i hate seeing her stressed. Her shedding continues for a few hours after we get home. I'm hoping this will calm her nerves just enough.

Anyway I hope his vet appointment goes well and they figure out what's going on with his paw.. please keep us posted.

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As for the behaviour, this is the only cat I've had so I can only speak for him. But it is hard to get it in his mouth, then he starts foaming at the mouth, drooling, and paces around for about 40 minutes. After that he finds a place to sit and starts to chill out.
Does he drool because it is liquid? Our vet was going to do capsules but I asked to get it compounded into a tablet. I can pill her way better than liquid. The reason I asked for a tablet versus the capsul is because I don't want to pill her and it get stuck in her throat because capsules get sticky.. she is 10.8 lbs and her dosage is 50 mg I'm nervous it will knock her little butt out. She just needs it before her vet visit because she is so scared she cries, pants, and sheds like crazy from the time we leave the house until we get home. She doesnt get agressive at all she kind of freezes and slinks down on the table. The vet can do anything to her and not get scratched or anything. Like yesterday she had follow up xrays. Ahe does fine during them its just she is so scared.. i hate seeing her stressed. Her shedding continues for a few hours after we get home. I'm hoping this will calm her nerves just enough.
One thing you both could consider trying that works even with my most "not-gonna-happen" kitties... I use a capsule. I take the tiniest amount of wet food and empty the capsule into it. I roll it into s small ball, put it on my figure and gently squish it into the side of their mouths. They aren't impressed - but it's worked 99.9% of the time. It's even okay to do if the cat is to fast as the amount of food is negligible. Something to consider that might help make it easier on you both.. and the babies.

P Profsmom how did the visit go?

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One thing you both could consider trying that works even with my most "not-gonna-happen" kitties... I use a capsule. I take the tiniest amount of wet food and empty the capsule into it. I roll it into s small ball, put it on my figure and gently squish it into the side of their mouths. They aren't impressed - but it's worked 99.9% of the time. It's even okay to do if the cat is to fast as the amount of food is negligible. Something to consider that might help make it easier on you both.. and the babies.

P Profsmom how did the visit go?
Thank you. Gabby usually takes her medicine tablet form very well with chicken. When I do have to actually pill her she doesn't fight she doesn't run and as soon as I'm done she sticks by me giving me head bonks and rubs. I haven't gotten the gabapentin tablets yet.. so we will see if the chicken works. She found one pill in the chicken but it was a pill that had to be cut in half so the coating wasn't wasn't all around it so she kept spitting it out any other time if it is a whole tablet she usually just eats it with her chicken. I guess the coating helps because that was the only difference between the meds she has had previously.
I'll give your recommendation a try if she doesn't eat it with her chicken. Thank you.