Pilling Cats

luv dem lizards

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
View media item 113513
I have had extraordinary luck giving my uber-finicky cat pills.  I buy size #3 and #4 clear gelatin capsules (#4 is the smallest available).  It's quite easy to put the necessary pill into a capsule, and then I either shove it down my cat's throat manually (and all by myself, too!), or I get smart and use something called a "pill popper" which I got from my vet for $5.  That was the best $5 I ever spent!  It looks kind of like a pencil, and has a rubber tip that grips the pills at one end and a syringe-like plunger at the other.  if you can get the pill down the side of your cat's mouth, time the pushing of the plunger carefully, and your cat won't know what happened.  The gelatin gets very slippery as it gets wet, and it also protects any nasty flavors from your kitty's tongue.  If possible, give nasty tasting pills after a meal to buffer stomach irritation.

You can buy the capsules quite cheaply over the Internet.  I even use them for myself when necessary.  Benadryl and esp. Tramadol have HORRIBLE tastes to both humans AND cats, so your feline will thank you, although I've never known any cat that enjoyed having a pill shoved down its gullet!  Shucks, even *I* don't like having to swallow pills,  but sometimes, you just have to do it.

As a shout out to my vet, it's SO appreciated that there is a quiet, dog-free entrance for cats (who must be in carriers).  Too many clinics have one waiting room for all animals, and not all dog owners understand that small animals in boxes or carriers don't appreciate having a barking face in front of theirs (for some reason, it's often dog owners with loud, big, and unleashed critters who are guilty of this).  Viva separate entrances and exam rooms!

Luv Dem Lizards (and Dem Kitties, too)

Last edited by a moderator:

smokem

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sigh..really weird timing.

I just tried to sneak slippery elm to both cats under the wet food.

Smoke ate around it,Cookie looked at the plate,then at him,etc.

Forgetaboutit!!

I dont know how folks get the cats to take all these supplements in the food,I wish.

So,I hurry and mix some punkin with slippery elm on a spoon no less and grab her.

On the table we go and then Im wondering how do you get a spoon in a cats mouth???

I got some in there,its funny now,wasnt funny at the time.

If Smoke ever needs dosing,well not gonna happen.

nebula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Gee, what a tough act to follow. . .  As Freud said, we really mean everything we say, even if we have to dig really, really deeply (about the length of a cat's throat, I believe).

I have had extraordinary luck giving my uber-finicky cat pills.  I buy size #3 and #4 clear gelatin capsules (#4 is the smallest available).  It's quite easy to put the necessary pill into a capsule, and then I either shove it down my cat's throat manually (and all by myself, too!), or I get smart and use something called a "pill popper" which I got from my vet for $5.  That was the best $5 I ever spent!  It looks kind of like a pencil, and has a rubber tip that grips the pills at one end and a syringe-like plunger at the other.  if you can get the pill down the side of your cat's mouth, time the pushing of the plunger carefully, and your cat won't know what happened.  The gelatin gets very slippery as it gets wet, and it also protects any nasty flavors from your kitty's tongue.  If possible, give nasty tasting pills after a meal to buffer stomach irritation.

You can buy the capsules quite cheaply over the Internet.  I even use them for myself when necessary.  Benadryl and esp. Tramadol have HORRIBLE tastes to both humans AND cats, so your feline will thank you, although I've never known any cat that enjoyed having a pill shoved down its gullet!  Shucks, even *I* don't like having to swallow pills,  but sometimes, you just have to do it.

As a shout out to my vet, it's SO appreciated that there is a quiet, dog-free entrance for cats (who must be in carriers).  Too many clinics have one waiting room for all animals, and not all dog owners understand that small animals in boxes or carriers don't appreciate having a barking face in front of theirs (for some reason, it's often dog owners with loud, big, and unleashed critters who are guilty of this).  Viva separate entrances and exam rooms!

Luv Dem Lizards (and Dem Kitties, too)
They are $6 on Amazon :) 

Last edited by a moderator: