Pie crusts.....

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by evnshawn

Another similar idea is to fold your crust in half, then half again, place the "point" at the center of the pie pan, and unfold.
I can't pick mine up to even do that as the pastry is so delicate. I use one of those long spatulas that come with utensil sets to put the edge over the rolling pin and then roll the rest of the crust on the pin then move it to the pan but I know folks that do use that method.

turtlecat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
another tip, make sure that you chill the crust before trying to roll it out. it needs some time for the butter to absorb into the flour and make it more elastic. and when you roll it out, roll it between 2 piesces of parchment paper, so that the rolling pin doesn't stick to it, and tear it up.

then to get it in the pan, put the dough, in parchment on a dish, pull one piece of parchment off an put the dish over it, flip it and peel the other bit of parchment off.. voila.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittylover4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone..........I'll try the pie soon and let you know how it turned out......or, I might even post a pic!!

Love Sam's pic!!

kellyyfaber

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The skill of making a good pie crust has always eluded me, Susie. I've followed EXACT recipes from people who make perfect ones and I STILL can't get it right. I'm convinced there's some sort of black magic involved

ollyextra05

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I dont tend to make pies too terribly often, I'm more of a cook than a baker, but I have been known to make a crostata using fall fruit, which is a rustic-looking pie-like contraption that's rediculously easy to make.
Basically, the dough is exactly the same as making butter cookies, or you can buy the pillsbury tube kind and no-one will know the difference. Roll the dough out to about 1/2 inch thick and then fold the edges over to form a crust (kind of like a primitive looking pizza). Slap the thing on a cookie sheet, sprinkle the "crust" with granulated sugar, spread a thin layer of jam over the middle (I use raspberry jam) and then layer on thin slices of apples, pears, what have you. Sprinkle the fruit with a bit of sugar as well and a touch of cinnamon, and bake it until the cookie crust is done and the fruit is soft. Cut it in pizza-wedges and serve it with vanilla ice cream, and your friends will think its fancy because it has a fancy name.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittylover4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by OllyExtra05

I dont tend to make pies too terribly often, I'm more of a cook than a baker, but I have been known to make a crostata using fall fruit, which is a rustic-looking pie-like contraption that's rediculously easy to make.
Basically, the dough is exactly the same as making butter cookies, or you can buy the pillsbury tube kind and no-one will know the difference. Roll the dough out to about 1/2 inch thick and then fold the edges over to form a crust (kind of like a primitive looking pizza). Slap the thing on a cookie sheet, sprinkle the "crust" with granulated sugar, spread a thin layer of jam over the middle (I use raspberry jam) and then layer on thin slices of apples, pears, what have you. Sprinkle the fruit with a bit of sugar as well and a touch of cinnamon, and bake it until the cookie crust is done and the fruit is soft. Cut it in pizza-wedges and serve it with vanilla ice cream, and your friends will think its fancy because it has a fancy name.
Wow, that sure sounds great!

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can commiserate. I tried for YEARS to come even close to my maternal grandmother's crust on her famous apple pies (she grew her own Northern Spy apples on her farm, incredible pie apple).

The best way I can explain it, I just kept trying until I finally learned what the dough should feel like...now I can tell by feel as I roll it out, if it's a good one or not.

Find the recipe you like best, and just practice! I use a recipe from my mil that uses soured milk..and makes an incredible crust.

ps I hate to admit this, but I've also found that using crisco works more easily for me then when I try to do a good crust w/butter as the shortening. If you are going to use butter, you really have to have it cold, cold, cold and mix it just right, cold, cold water as well. Lard would work well I think, crisco as I said, does too!

ollyextra05

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pat & Alix

ps I hate to admit this, but I've also found that using crisco works more easily for me then when I try to do a good crust w/butter as the shortening. If you are going to use butter, you really have to have it cold, cold, cold and mix it just right, cold, cold water as well. Lard would work well I think, crisco as I said, does too!
My grandmother makes the best. pies. ever.
She uses a mixture of crisco and butter--crisco for the flakiness and tenderness apect, butter for flavor. Its easier to work with than if you use only butter, but its easiest to work with when its really, really cold. She usually mixes it all together, then puts the ball of dough into a glass bowl and sticks it in the freezer for about 30 mins before rolling it out. If I can find the exact recipe I'll letcha know.

ollyextra05

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kittylover4ever

Wow, that sure sounds great!
Here's the "official" recipe, but I usually just use the Pillsbury butter cookie or sugar cookie dough, whichever one I can find. The lemon zest does add a nice touch, though, and brushing it with milk makes it brown better. But, uh, I generally can't be bothered!

Pear and Raspberry Crostata
Recipe courtesy Gale Gand

Recipe Summary
Prep Time: 1 hour
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Yield: 12 to 14 servings

1 cup (2 sticks) cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
2 cups flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 lemon, zested
1 large egg plus 1 large egg yolk, whisked together
2 tablespoons raspberry jam
6 ripe but firm pears, peeled, pitted and cut into wedges
1 cup raspberries, fresh or frozen
1 tablespoon honey
2 tablespoons whole milk
1 tablespoon coarse, turbinado, or "raw" sugar
In the bowl of a mixer, blend the butter, flour, sugar, and lemon zest at low speed until the mixture is coarse and sandy-looking. Add the egg mixture and blend just until the mixture comes together. Form into a ball, wrap with plastic, and refrigerate at least 1 hour. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. On a floured surface, roll the dough out to a rough circle about 14 inches in diameter. Transfer to the baking sheet. All around the edge of the dough, fold in the outer 1/2-inch to form a rough, "rustic" edge for the tart. Using a rubber spatula, gently spread the jam over the bottom of the tart. Then arrange the pear wedges in concentric circles over the jam. Dot with raspberries and drizzle with the honey. With a pastry brush, brush the tart edge with the milk. Sprinkle with the coarse sugar. Bake until the fruit is tender and the underside of the tart is lightly browned, 25 to 30 minutes.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

She uses a mixture of crisco and butter--crisco for the flakiness and tenderness apect, butter for flavor. Its easier to work with than if you use only butter, but its easiest to work with when its really, really cold. She usually mixes it all together, then puts the ball of dough into a glass bowl and sticks it in the freezer for about 30 mins before rolling it out. If I can find the exact recipe I'll letcha know.
Mine is crisco and butter but I've never had to wait for it to get cold. In fact, my recipe doesn't even cut in the butter/crisco. The flour mixture is added in 3 steps - the first two are mixed really well and have the consistency of ice cream then the third addition has to be done with a pastry cutter. Then the water and presto - ready to roll!

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Thanks...I do prefer butter for the flavor, this would work out well for me if I could blend the two.

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All this talk is makin' me hungry!
Hey Sooooooooooooz, wanna come test the pies on me so that you can practice before Jerry gets the perfect pie!