Pictures of the Tabby Boy I rescued...

at129

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CatMom2Wires

PLEASE DH! You'll have a couple of thousand adoring women and a handful of men SWOONING over you for YEARS if you JUST SAY YES!!! You KNOW you WANT to!
Seriously!!!

The suspense is killing me!!! I keep checking this thread (like every 30 mins) to see if there's any update.

HUGE aimed your way right now.

myfamiliars

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, it would be awesome if Stephanie's hubby will say yes. Come on, Stephanie's hubby! Be a hero to TONS of cat people and take in this sweet little guy.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catmom2wires

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OK, have the full update, vet report.

Percy was too small to be neutered today.
He is 1.7 pounds and needs to be at least one more pound. My neighbor has been weighing him and he's gained .5 pounds since she's had him!

Percy is estimated to be 8-9 weeks by the vet.

Percy has anemia, probably secondary to fleas as there are some healing flea bites. He currently has no fleas, has been treated and is not expected to get any new ones as my neighbor's cattery is clean. The vet thinks the soaking he got in the rushing water probably washed off most of the fleas.

FeLV negative, wormed, and will get his 3 in 1 kitten shot. Otherwise he is in perfect health and is perfectly CUTE.

Let's get the vibes going again. I REALLY want to get his placement resolved as my neighbor is doing me/us a HUGE favor by letting him bunk there!

Last night I drove by the spot where we found him. There was a metal sheet over a section of sidewalk where the sidewalk was cut out, probably for drainage. He was likely hiding under there and was flushed out by the rushing water. Bless his little heart--he must have been roasting under that metal, and then nearly drowned!
At least he's safe now.

Cally

mystik spiral

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good luck Percy!!! You are right that he is perfectly CUTE! I have faith that his cuteness will get him adopted.

And Cally - you and your neighbor are just wonderful!

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The DH wants to know if he's getting used to people and how much time does he spend in a cage. (I'm still working on him!)

Is he getting any meds for the anemia or does the vet seem to think that will clear up by itself since he now has no fleas?

catmom2wires

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, Stephanie, he's getting used to people. My neighbor is in the cattery quite a bit throughout the day and he now comes to the cage door for his lovin's. She brings him out and grooms him and pets him a couple of times a day and weighs him once a day. On Sunday he seemed happy to see me as well, and loved his petting. Now that he has a "clean bill" he'll likely be allowed to run with some other age-appropriate kittens and their momcat, who will continue his education on how to be a proper cat. She has 3 litters of kittens from 5 weeks to 16 weeks old currently. This woman, btw, is an international CFA judge and a long time breeder, and her cats turn out very social and polite, so he's in good hands/paws.

If you'd like, and seem fairly committed to getting this little guy (which it seems to me) I will be happy to go and spend some time with him, or even bring him home with me some during the day. However, I am also trying to protect MY heart, as we are absolutely not interested in another pet at this point in our lives.

As for the anemia, Percy was given a B12 shot to help with his general health, and it's felt the anemia will resolve itself with good food and care, which he is getting. If you want to speak with the vet by phone, I can provide you her number. She will have a health card filled out at adoption time as well that you can use with your own vet.

Let me know if you need more info. I can also try and get some more photos in a day or so.

Thanks for continuing to think about taking Percy. It means a lot to me.

Cally

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you for the info. I think the DH doesn't want a feral, so it's good that he's getting used to being around people. I'm sure settling in is also helping his little personality come out. Of course, more pics would be lovely, but don't go to any extra lengths for that. I also think the DH was afraid that if he'd been in a cage he'd not be social at all.

I'll continue the quest!

catmom2wires

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, he's not feral by any means. I would not have been able to cradle him in my arm if he were feral. Also, he's never hissed, spit or scratched at me or my neighbor. He likes people, is just still a bit scared, which is to be expected. I think with a little TLC and some consistency, he will be quite the lover.

Cally

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
for this little guy.
What an adorable little cutie!

Stephanie - it sounds like DH mike be close!

Stephanie, when you added the other kitty - how old was the cat, and was it male or female? Our Spooky took a year to get over Ming Loy - but accepts males basically right away.
If DH does cave, you just have to remember to fuss over your existing kitties (no matter how hard it is not to fuss over the new cute little baby
).

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We added our last cat 5 years ago. She was 7 mos old at the time (approx) and my older cat was 9 yrs. old. I know it will be difficult and I've always said I wouldn't get another cat until my older cat died due to what we went through last time, but I know so much more now and we already have some stress-reducing things in place for my older girl. We already use Feliway 24/7 and she has several 'safe places' to get away from our younger kitty. They tolerate each other now and play together from time to time, but they're not buds or anything.

ETA: The latest question from the husband was the cost of the neuter and vacs, so this morning I'm calling the vet to find out.

catmom2wires

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You do remember I will provide neuter and vac, don't you?

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes, but I didn't want to be presumptuous and it's usually more expensive here than in the outlying areas.

catmom2wires

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, my offer stands. I will reimburse you my costs if I had him neutered/vaxed here, which I'm sure will be less than in FW. He's already had his first kitten shots which cost $2 via the neighbor.

By any chance do you use that cat's only clinic on Overton Ridge?

Keep me posted!

Cally

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Cally, I don't currently use Cat's Meow, but I have in the past. They are VERY expensive and I've never really felt overly welcomed there and at home, but the docs are VERY knowledgeable and the staff is excellent when it comes to care. Dr. Bean is the one who diagnosed my Hannah's pseudamonas infection 2 years ago after going to 2 other vets. We now go to a vet up near TCU who's much more reasonably priced and soooo nice with both us and the animals. I called and the neuter is only $45 and the rabies vac is $12. However, she doesn't neuter until 6 mos.

catmom2wires

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Stephanie,

I was just curious, as the vet who originally opened that clinic was my vet here in Stephenville for a couple of years before she moved to FW and opened Cat's Meow. She's been gone from there for years now.

Wow. that's a really good price on the neuter. I actually don't think I can beat that. Soooooo, if you decide to take kitty (please, please, PLEASE!!!!) I will just write you a check to cover those costs when you take possession of the little guy.

I've just been to the grocery to buy him more food. The little bugger is making up for lost time with the groceries!

Have a good day!

Cally

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Just an update for everyone following the saga, the husband caved and said YES!!! Woohoo!!

catmom2wires

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
YEP!!! We're meeting at a Starbucks on Tuesday for the hand-off! I'm so happy, because I'll hopefully get to see pics of him growing up, etc.

HAPPY HAPPY DAY!!!!

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh, you'll probably get tired of seeing pics of him!
Can't wait til Tuesday! I'm working on getting his room ready today. Also will go get some kitten wet food for him. I can't WAIT!!

at129

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by stephanietx

Just an update for everyone following the saga, the husband caved and said YES!!! Woohoo!!

...okay, I'll stop now, before they take away my emote privileges.

I'm so happy I don't even know what to say...except YAY!! What a happy outcome for sweet little Percy (and wonderful for you, Stephanie, you must be beside yourself!). I just can't stop grinning!