Pictures of our New Kitty! (Name to be Determined)

piikki

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CruiserMaiden

It facinates me to see Jinkers learning and accepting his new environment a little all the time. It makes me wonder where he was before and what happend to him that he has to re-learn to understand everyday occurences of a normal housecat. But maybe his behavior is normal for a cat who was in a shelter for 3+ months?

I am thinking of starting a new thread to discuss his little victories and peculiarities or maybe a blog. I'd like to know if his behavior is normal for a shelter cat or if people think maybe something else happend to him.

He is very friendly and loving. He has so far shown zero "bad" behaviors. But his actions anand responses seem peculiar to me.
I have 3 laid back boys too and while we knew two of them had had a home, and had no trouble acclimating to the house, one was certainly a little more house-daft. He had not been in the shelter long when we picked him up but we do not know how long he was on the streets. We doubt not long but it was kind of obvious he came from somewhat deprived circumstances.

Teppo was 3 yo old when we got him, and while it was obvious he knew things like couch, TV and fridge - he seemed to be pretty ignorant of lot of fun things a cat could do. I literally taught him to play. I showed him where he can go but every time he'd be walking around and an item was in a new location (say shopping bag on the floor) his butt would drop, and he'd approach it with great caution. He still has some of that behavior with odder/darker items - when his brothers hurry to sniff feeling secure in home environment. And he's the least scaredy cat in general! Unfortunately, he also was very unfamiliar with car while he otherwise is the least bothered by loud noises, thunder etc.

I think the oddest thing was the playing to me. He really wanted to when he realized what was going on but was quite lost and clumsy. Now he is the toy hog, getting back all that lost time. He learns all new things slower than others though, and I think it is because he has not been exposed to lot in his younger years. He sure knows human food and telly, so I think I know what he has been doing!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cruisermaiden

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by piikki

I looked at your other cats and noticed they have two-part names. Now I think Jinkers should 'fit in' and have another name too! Maybe he would not be called by it but just to 'own it'.
He will eventually get a middle name, we are just waiting to get to know him better to pick one. Its just something that happened with the other two so we are waiting to see what sticks to him. Mulder's middle name is actually Maximus so it doesn't have to be limited to 3 letters, it just has to kind of happen. I had Spooky for 6 months before his middle name came along, so don't worry Jinkers will have one too.

Daily Update: Last night he discovered the floor toys. I heard them being batted around when I was in bed and the other boys were with me. When I went to see, he stopped playing like he thought he was being bad. We'll work on it.

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I used to have a beautiful solid grey kitten (or blue, which I guess is the appropriate term) named Ace, after Ace Freeley from KISS. I thought that was a cute name...and also somewhat lucky if your gambling. I also know a person named Graylin that I swore I would name my next cat after. Well, that didn't happen, because Marshmallow was black and white. (Like a Marshmallow, sort of
) I think Graylin's a pretty name, too, and unusual. I think Jinkers Graylin insert your last name here would be lovely. I can see where they get the Oriental Shorthair because of his long body, large ears, and tabby coloring. Whatever he is, he is certainly very beautiful. Bless you for giving him a good home!

cruisermaiden

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Today Jinkers has progressed to sitting on the back of the couch watching the birds with his brothers.

In this photo we can tell he feels right at home - enough to "talk back" when I was trying to get his attention away from watching Daddy mow to take his picture. Look at that attitude!

And just so they don't feel left out, here's one of Spooky and Mulder. Who have been fabulous with the introduction of a new buddy to their household, even if they haven't quite "made friends" yet...

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I love the attitude in that one picture!
Definitely feeling more at home!

Don't forget to add him to your siggy!

cruisermaiden

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well today we had to go to the vet. He has been sneezing and coughing since yesterday and it kept getting worse. I put him in the carrier and took him to the vet, and no sneezes or coughing. No signs of problems in his nose, chest, mouth/throat. He was very very well behaved at the vet. She thinks he's either allergic to something in the house, or he's got an upper respiratory infection. She gave him an antibiotic shot and if he continues to sneeze we will get him an allergy shot. No new pics today but I will update again soon.

He is fitting in really well. They aren't all buddies yet (Spooky and Mulder are BEST friends) but they are tolerating each other and there has been some play and grooming.

Turns out he is bigger than I thought. The vet said he is 12 lbs!!! And he seems so SMALL next to Spooky and Mulder!