[pics] Strange scabs on my cats ears, any ideas?

elke overton

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've heard the scabs are from scratching caused by itching caused from ear mites. My cat has the scabs, but not the black discharge usually seen with ear mites. I'm going to get her checked out. I use flea/mite medication on her back once a month, but that hasn't helped.

no1grandma

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've been wondering about the scabs on ears of my white cat, 10 years old.  She was living outdoors on the Texas coast until this winter, is now indoors, spends most of her time in the "sunroom".  She has had the scabs for awhile, doesn't scratch them, but doesn't like them touched.  Ruled out mites and no sign of other skin disorder.  Never thought about cancer until I read your blog.

inanna

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've been wondering about the scabs on ears of my white cat, 10 years old.  She was living outdoors on the Texas coast until this winter, is now indoors, spends most of her time in the "sunroom".  She has had the scabs for awhile, doesn't scratch them, but doesn't like them touched.  Ruled out mites and no sign of other skin disorder.  Never thought about cancer until I read your blog.
Yes, unaccounted for crusty scabs can indicate a number of severe medical disorders and less severe conditions. It can signify an allergy to a number of things, certain types of infection like roundworm, hyperthyroidism, and cancer. If your cat has scabs that don't seem to clear up, but do reappear PLEASE bring your cat to the vet. That can't be comfortable at all for them.

Also, an easy way to keep an eye on the scabby areas is be using a flea comb.