Picked the wrong kitten?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chloe16

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am not sure how old he is they said 10 weeks but I suspect younger. The other kitten I have is 8 weeks today (and I know for sure as the people were very trustworthy). The orange kitten weighs less then the 8 week old.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's hard to tell from a picture.  My 2 are litter mates and have always had a weight difference.  Noodles looks fluffier because she has a different coat.  Mooch is more sleek and muscular and always weighed more.  

He looks to be playing nicely with the other kitten.  I really think time and patience is all you need.  I'd be surprised if it takes months to fully acclimate.  The baby gate idea is very good.  You may even be able to just borrow some for a while.  But do be aware that they can climb gates.  Even double stacked ones!  We used the hallway at our old house to confine our two when they couldn't be supervised.  We had to keep the top gate at an inward angle to keep them from climbing right out!  They were confined to a large wire dog crate when we weren't home or at night.  It had enough room for a small litter box, their bed, etc.  

chloe16

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He is still hissing and spitting at my dog more so when he is walking around. He runs for cover when he barks or sneezes. Is this kitten ever going to adjust or should I just find him a home? I really want to make it work but if he hasnt shown much improvement in a week will he....

tammyp

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'd say you're rushing it.  It will take longer because you have had to start over - he had a bad first impression with lots of terror, so it will take a bit more to get over that.  Not sure how strictly you are adhering to the introductions guidelines?  If you rush things - and sounds like maybe you are as they are in near proximity to each other to have had these reactions? - you risk delaying the ultimate happy families state you want...

gatsunokisu

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If your dog is not behaving aggressively then I would really just let it ride.
Rehomed animals are usually very upset. New surroundings, new animals and new habits.
I suggest rather than locking him up, you allow him to live in a space which you use frequently or in your bedroom. Your bedroom is your sanctuary, you are the dominant member of the house and bonding with you will help new kitty to trust the animals which are new to him.
Allow him to decide when and how he will introduce himself to the outer areas of the house and the creatures that inhabit them. Kitty needs places to hide and feel secure.
It can take several days to socialize a cat, even a kitten, to a pre-organized colony; with one kitten I brought in it took weeks but he was a tough little nut.

Good luck.

chloe16

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My dog does not act aggressive, he has lived with cats for 5 of his 6 years of life

tammyp

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It's not your dog.

Its the little baby who has come into a brand new place.  The world is huge.  The people are huge.  There is an overwhelming amount of smells and sounds - all new, all needing to be classified and sorted.  And your kitten, in this overwhelmed state has classified your dog as something to be feared...something that needs to be hissed at to keep at bay.  This is why good introductions employ a small safe room and very gradual steps - it reduces all of the imput so the kitten can sort through it at a gentler pace - and make the right classifications.