Pica? health issue?

Catmom1234567890

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure if this is behaviorial or health issue. She is suddenly licking a blanket like she is grooming the blanket. She has IBD and she is on budesonide for 3 months now. She is also drinking water. She rarely drank water prior to budesonide. We also noticed she urinated in her sleep. We read licking odd objects is due to nutritional deficiency or sign of diabetes.

sunny578

Mom to an inappropriate urinator
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't have any personal experience with the IBD, but I do know it is normal for cats to groom blankets in such a way. I'm also not familiar with budesonide--is it a sedative, or is loss of bladder control a symptom? How old is she?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Excess water intake and urination are common side effects when using budesonide (corticosteroid). I would call the vet and tell them about the incontinence while sleeping - perhaps a lower dose might be the answer?

As far as licking the blanket - if this is a new behavior - it certainly could be a sign of a nutritional deficiency. I have read a lot of cats with IBD also receive B12 injections to help with nutritional absorption, so that might be another thing to ask your vet about. There may be other deficiencies, besides B12, that they could test for as well.