Photo update of Lucas

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Tammy this is so frustrating !

Just when you think you have it sorted... 

I'm not sure what you mean by making you a Rx.. I'm presuming that's a prescription?  Does that mean you can access the pred?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

momto4kitties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes i meant prescription. Sorry. No i can't access prednisolone, i can only get it at the vets, if they dont want to prescribe it I will have to go to my old vet so he can give me a prescription so i can order it online. At least that vet knows Lucas needs the pred, he doesnt believe Lucas has lupus , but at least he is willing to give me a prescription.

The pharmacies and the other vets only have prednisone. Im taking him to the vet tomorrow.

mani

Staff Member
Purraise
Well at least you can get hold of it.  How's Lucas?

momto4kitties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lucas is doing better, now that he is off prozac he is more active and happy, in fact, Im taking him for a little walk right now. The poor baby cant be exposed to the sun so I walk him at night, and he is the one that asks for walks. And who could say no to that baby??

I noticed that Lucas has been sneezing quite a bit lately and he is still swallowing a lot and hard after purring. I will ask the vet to check him just in case. But other than that he is fine:-)

mani

Staff Member
Purraise
Lucas is doing better, now that he is off prozac he is more active and happy, in fact, Im taking him for a little walk right now. The poor baby cant be exposed to the sun so I walk him at night, and he is the one that asks for walks. And who could say no to that baby??

I noticed that Lucas has been sneezing quite a bit lately and he is still swallowing a lot and hard after purring. I will ask the vet to check him just in case. But other than that he is fine:-)
Sounds like allergies, doesn't it...

Lots of continuing
!

momto4kitties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
that worries me, if it is allergies.  Well, there has been a lot of smoke lately, people burn  a lot of plants this time of the year, I have no idea why,but it has been smoky, that could be it!

momto4kitties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Update: The vet visit was a complete success:)  I took LUcas to the vet yesterday and the same vet who didn't want to prescribe the prednisolone is the one that saw Lucas and it was the best thing it could happen.  I talked to her and explained to her all his medical history, I even brought the records I have since 2008.  She agreed with me on almost everything and she thinks it was a good decision to give Lucas the 5mg pill divided in two, one in the morning and one in the afternoon.   She agreed to prescribe and provide the prednisolone for LUcas from now on, she says she was worried and wanted to see him and I understand that. 

She is convinced now that Lucas has an autoinmune disease and may need prednisolone for the rest of his life, but she did told me that she wants me to try giving him less gradually so we can keep him on the dose that is best for him and I agreed with that , but slowly.  I will be lowering the afternoon dose in a week to see how he does, she told me to switch him back to his actual dose if I see any symptom. 

She wanted me to try Atopica , but we tried it for three months like two years ago and he vomited everyday and it didn't help, that is no life for my boy.  I can't bear to see him vomiting everyday.  She hasn't vomited since he has been on the 5mg dose of pred.

I'm also extra happy because LUcas gained weight, he has been 7lbs for three months and now he is 8 lbs, yay!  It is not much, but I'm just glad he gained something:)

She was super happy because he is also off prozac and she told me he looks so good and his ears are completely clear.  I couldn't be happier.

Lucas also started acting like himself, he is not lethargic anymore, he is active and curious again and asked me to take him for a walk two times today, and who could say no to that face??

Here are a few pics of one of our walks today:

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
LOOK at that beautiful boy!!!! :thud: OH, Tammy, he looks just incredibly happy and looks very healthy. I am SO happy, just beaming :D, to hear the good news from that vet now willing to prescribe the Pred saying that he will need it permanently. My goodness, what you both have endured together. I hope good and happy things for both of you and that Lucas continues to feel this good. :clap::clap: :hugs: :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

momto4kitties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much Lauren! Your words mean so much to me, thank you! It has been horrible, but I think (Im a little afraid to say it) that this time he is really going to be ok.  He decided to explore the kitchen tonight, since we moved here he's been sick and he had been on prozac all year, so the kitchen is like new territory for him, he was so excited checking everything out, my boy is back!

OH I forgot to say before that I told the vet to check his chest and throat, because of his sneezing and swallowing a lot, but she told me the chest is clear and his throat thing could be a hairball, so she left it at that, but is he continues they will do an xray just in case, but he is fine, I don't think he will need that.

I'm just so happy, I see him now sleeping peacefully without scratching and it just means the world to me to see him like this.  I wish he didn't have to take any meds to feel ok, but if he needs it, he will get it.

thank you so much Lauren!!!

Hugs, Tammy

mani

Staff Member
Purraise
  Brilliant!  So happy for you and for Lucas

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I ordered a topical de-wormer online, and have since ordered it 2 more times without them going back to the vet like they did the first time. This was over a period of a year and a half. So maybe once your vet OK's it, you can keep ordering it. Once again, why are they so worried about it, it's not like you can sell it on the street and make lots of money.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I guess I didn't read down far enough, I'm so happy your vet decided to give you the prednisolone! Lucas looks beautiful, and I'm so happy he feels better!
 May you continue to see progress and God bless both of you.

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
 Yaaaaaay!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just look at that beautiful boy!
    SO  Happy Lucas is finally doing better!  It's been a long road for you both.  I'm glad you were able to explain

his history to the vet, & she saw that you did know what was best!!  Lots of prayers went up, for both our boys. I'm glad they are being answered.

Now just
 that there are no more crystals in Angel's urine. Gonna try & catch a sample to take to the vet's tomorrow. Saturday will be 2 wks on the Purina UR.  (actually, I think the vet said after 3 wks, so maybe next wk instead. We used the last of the 2nd bag of fluids last night, doing 2xs/wk).

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am so happy to see Lucas bright-eyed and alert.  Thank goodness the vet finally understands what is going on.  May you have many happy days together with Lucas.  He is just so beautiful.

momto4kitties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you Di and Bob, Im just super happy and relieved now that the vet is cooperating with me. 

Thank you Kelly, Im sorry your Angel has crystals in the urine, I pray to God they are gone with the diet.  I worry a lot about things like that with Lucas and my other three.  What caused the crystals?  I hope everything is ok with your kitty. sending vibes and love

Thank you catspaw66 :) I'm so happy!

hugs to all!

minka

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Off the prozac? That's wonderful! Demodex gone? Even better!!
I wouldn't normally agree with giving up on trying to lower a dose of medicine, but I have to say I agree with everyone. Keep him on the 2.5x2 for a good while. 2-3 months at least I'd say. Give his body a REALLY good chance to get better, I think. :nod:
Oh, all this news is so wonderful Tammy! :-)

Last edited:

momto4kitties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you Minka:) I'm super excited he is off prozac, it made him sleepy and he had lost his sweet personality,now is back, my baby is back! he is happy, eating a lot, and he loves me and loves it when I talk to him and pet him, he dídnt when he was on prozac.

He is still demodex free, thank God, and the plan is to keep him on the dose of prednisolone for now, and later on start lowering the afternoon dose little by little, the vet wants me to try and I'm willing to give it a try, but the plan is to go back if he gets any symptom, she told me that if I see even a red eye, I go back to the dose that works.

He is still doing wonderfully and looking adorable.  I soo love him:)

Tammy

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
How could you not love such a brave, sweet and beautiful kitty?  Any person that doesn't fall in love with him is a waste of space.

sambo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Wow,! I am so happy for you and your baby! You are such a great, loving , and unconditional cat owner! Situations like this require a lot of love and care. It can be hard and time consuming so props to you! He looks fabulous! Keep up the good work. :)

momto4kitties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you all  so much! Lucas is doing wonderfully;) He is gaining more weight,  I can feel it when I squeeze him, haha, can't put him down when I see him doing so well and so happy.  I just came back from his walk right now, he has an internal clock that says he must go for a walk at 9:30pm. We live in a very safe area, so I take him every night.  Here is a pic of the little sweetie just days ago. Doesn't he look huggable? kissable? It hasn't been easy at all, but I would do anything for this baby or any of my babies:)