Phoebe having exploratory surgery this afternoon!

techiegirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Phoebe is my 8-year old orange tabby and she has CRF and asthma/allergies.

The CRF is manged with daily subQs, Famotidine, Norvasc, Benazepril. and the asthma/allergies aremanged with an inhaler, Flovent, Albuterol and Atopica. She has been doing very well for a couple of years now.

About a month ago, her appetite started deteriorating and a couple of weeks ago, she was just not acting right, so I took her in for bloodwork, U/A. The results were actually pretty good - in 3 months, her creatinine had gone from 2.5 to 2.7 (range 0.8-2.4) and BUN frm 23 to 22 (range 16-36) - all other values within range. We added Cyproheptadine (appetite stimulant) and Metoclopromide (anti nausea) to her med list and she did better as far as eating but was drugged out and acting funny - staring at the walls -sitting in corner facing the wall, sleeping under my bed. She was responsive and would come right out when I called her, but still... things she had never done before and I could tell she didn't feel well.

Took her off the Cypro Tuesday and she continued to eat fairly well til yesterday and she just became less and less interested - had to coax her, etc.. Then last night - just a few licks. And this, from a cat who a month ago got so excited at mealtime, she would stand on her hind legs and bring the bowl down with her paws.

So I took her into the vet this AM and she said the symptoms do not correlate with the bloodwork - her kidneys are "ok" so it must be something else.

They ended up doing an ultrasound and xrays and she said the intestines are thickened significantly and something about the bile ducts leading away from the gallbladder. She mentioned Triad Disease, which is the combo of IBD, Pancreatitis and Cholangeal Hepatitis.

The only was of for sure knowing, is to do exploratory surgery and do biopsies.

Sooooooo........... she is having surgery this afternoon.
My poor little girl!!
Any thoughts, prayers, well wishes for my little orange girl would be greatly appreciated!!

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'll be thinking positive thoughts for you and Phoebe. I hope the surgery goes well and you can get some good answers re. something easy to treat.

She's a gorgeous girl.
Please keep us updated.

devlyn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
What a beautiful girl! I hope they find out what's wrong with her and it's nothing too serious. It sounds like you take wonderful care of her and you both deserve a break from more meds!

Hugs and headbumps from me and my crew.

Devlyn

jean44

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Many positive thoughts for Phoebe's surgery. I hope that whatever is found can be easily treated. Hugs to you and sweet Phoebe.

teetee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I hope the surgery went well. Please keep us updated. Best wishes for you and your little girl. She is beautiful. You are a good mom.

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wish you and phoebe only the best! Lexi had exploratory surgery on her neck when they could not figure out why it kept dripping.
Bless you for having such a big heart and just wanting to give her the best life possible. All those meds and fluids on a daily basis must get demanding at times, but you do what you have to for the ones you love. I wish there were more generous and caring souls out there like you.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hope to hear she's home recovering with you soon, and that all went well.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Phoebe is a beautiful girl. I will keep her in my thoughts and prayers. I hope everything was good today with her surgery.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

techiegirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
awww!! Thanks everyone! Y'all are just too sweet!

I picked Phoebe up from the vet a little before 7pm and she is home now. Very drugged out on pain meds, but she is ok. She is lying on a blanket with a heating pad and a blankie on top of her to keep her warm.

She has a big long incision up her abdomen with staples and stitches. Looks like a zipper!

The surgery went well. My vet took 4 biopsies (2 bowel, lymph nodes and pancreas) and should have some results later this weekend so will call and let me know. She said liver and gall bladder look good.

Phoebe is supposed to be wearing an E-collar, but that was a no-go cuz she is able to fit her paw into the plastic and then her leg gets stuck and she flips on her back and freaks out. I think the one they gave her is too big! I have one from Buick's surgery last year that I am going to try - if I can find it. This is what I get for straightening things up.

I got someone to cover for me tomorrow afternoon but I HAVE to go to work in the AM and give the diabetic cats their insulin, feed all the cats and change out the litterboxes. I will only be gone 3-4 hours and the vet said that is fine.

BUT, with this collar thing, I may drop her off at my vet before work and have them give me a different collar and have them watch her for a few hours.

I am sooo exhausted! The whole day including surgery cost $2,437
My unemployment check was supposed to come and instead I got a letter saying that I filled it out wrong so I have to resend it.
Yeah, like I needed even LESS money to pay rent with next week.

And so apparently I am going to be up all night watching her without her collar to make sure she doesn't bother her incision. I was thinking of setting my alarm for every 15 minutes or so.
Any ideas?

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've heard of people using baby t-shirts (but that only works if you have one on hand). Depending on your cat's size, a large stretch sock might work if you cut the toe end off. You can also try making your own e-collar out of a paper plate or some cardboard:
http://www.petplace.com/cats/elizabe...ars/page1.aspx

Best of luck tonight! Odo sympathizes as I had to dig out an e-collar for him to keep him from pawing at his mouth--he has sutures on both sides from some extractions earlier today.

devlyn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You should be able to adjust the e-collar. The one I have for Pippin was taped together and I took it apart and retaped it a few times when it got dirty. Maybe you can make it snugger around the neck. I also used his collar to attach it to him. It was more secure than the weird gauze tie they put on it.

I hope they discover what's going on with her!

Devlyn

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Im glad she is home now. Hopefully she will be a good girl and not mess with her sutures
Did the Dr say when the results would be in? Heres hoping that its nothing serious and heres some money vibes, too!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

techiegirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What a night last night!
I set my alarm for every 15-30 minutes to check on her. She was zonked all night long, but one time I woke up and she had moved, and it took me several minutes to find her - she was under the bed. Talk about heart attack!

I ended up taking her to the vet this AM before work and they were like - of course that collar is too big!
I left her there for a few hours while I went to work so they could keep an eye on her - they didn't even charge me for it!
They said the incision looks good and to make sure she ate today, since she didn't eat yesterday and ate very little the day before. She is no way feeling like eating, so I have to assist feed her for now. I gave her 2 syringes full of the new Royal Canin Recovery RS. I will give her a couple more when I give her fluids in an hour or 2.

They gave me a new collar but she is so drugged out I haven't even put it on her yet.

So now comes my paranoia.... I am soooo worried about her! She just lies there, head down to the ground, eyes open.
She has gotten up to move a few times, but doesn't make it very far, and usually tries to head under the bed where I don't want her to go.

I called the urgent care vet - they are always sooooo nice there!! She said it is a major surgery and of course she doesn't feel well, but if I felt she wasn't ok, to bring her in. I may do that in the AM, but I guess I just really need to leave her alone! That's so hard, cuz I feel so bad for her and I am worried!!

I keep trying to tell myself this is normal - cuz that is what the vet said. And actually, it's only been a little over 24 hours, huh?
Man, I am so lame.

So how do I get through another night? And should I put her in the bathroom in the AM with her litter box and a nice warm bed with blankets? And leave the collar on or off then? I will be gone about 2-3 hours. Or should I take her to urgent care so they can watch her while I am at work? I have no money tho and my vet said I could be gone for a few hours cuz she is just going to sleep anyways.
GAH!!!!!

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think she'll be fine in the bathroom. Her just laying there head to the ground eyes open isn't too "abnormal". My dog had exploratory surgery & slept like that for a few days. It is one of the scariest things ever. I would keep a very close eye on her for now & decide right before you must go to work.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh Im sorry things are so worrisome for you..... I wish I had some answers for you. I am NOT GOOD with medical emergencies AT ALL so I understand your position.

I will continue to send vibes for you both. Poor little Phoebe hopefully the resting is good for her.