Philadelphia accent Christmas carols!

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Pretty funny, although some people say "schnow" for "snow", not the way he pronounces it:

Last edited by a moderator:

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
The sound on my computer is acting up. I'll have to check this out later. :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Hmmm. I'm from Philly, and that sounds more like a very poor imitation of a"Limey " accent.
I kind of thought so, too--or maybe a fakey Irish accent. I love the idea, though!

Did you hear many people saying "schnow" for "snow"? The guy on WCJO radio always did.  Maybe it's an older generation thing we don't hear much now (not implying that you're of the older generation!!!).

Last edited:

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
The only place I recall hearing "schnow" was in NE Philly. Maybe it was because of the German immigrants who once lived there.

One "dead giveaway" is how we pronounce "water" - "wooder". I've trained myself not to say that, but slip up when talking to people from the Philly area.

Last edited:

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The only place I recall hearing "schnow" was in NE Philly. Maybe it was because of the German immigrants who once lived there.

One "dead giveaway" is how we pronounce "water" - "wooder". I've trained myself not to say that, but slip up when talking to people from the Philly area.
Some people around here say "wooder" too.  I'm a few hours from Philly.  My boss used to do that at one of my old jobs.  She is a true native to this area.  

misterwhiskers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep, we say "wooder" in South Jersey, too. And coffee is pronounced "kwaw-fee". Had to move away before I realized that was an accent lol.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My grandma, and a lot of other older people in the area, say "worsh" for wash. I don't even know why, because nothing else in a midwestern/Minnesota-type accent adds Rs where they shouldn't be. It's an accent anomaly! Dontcha know :D.

My other grandmother lived in Rhode Island, and a lot of her friends had pretty strong New York/Jersey-type accents. But the funniest thing I heard was that in RI they call the lottery the "drawrin". Even the radio lady who didn't have any discerible accent said "and the numbers for the drawrin are. . .":lol3: