Petting Induced Aggression, Or Something Else??

agruber121

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone!

I need some help! Currently my roommate and I have one cat, Murmur. Murmur is a very independent boy. He always likes to be around people, but not interact with them so much. We respect his space and we never initiate any kind of touching unless he wants it. He is about three years old and he has displayed this kind of behavior since we rescued him at seven months old:

Murmur gets in these moods where he goes into a complete "attack mode". He will do it instantaneously. We will just be walking through the house when he pounces at our legs. And not in a playful way. He will dig his teeth and claws into our skin to the point that it is nearly impossible to even pry him off. He *REALLY* digs his claws and teeth into us! We have tried EVERYTHING to try and correct this behavior for years. Distractions with toys, corrective spray (the kind that just shoots out a loud puff of air), water bottles, putting him away in a room for only minutes at a time, etc. Nothing works! Its gotten to the point where we have to lock ourselves in a room until he gets bored.

My question of petting induced aggression comes into play here: currently my roommate who works from home is away on vacation for a month. He provided the play, when needed, and basically all of the attention. I come in secondarily with attention and such because I work all day long as a server in a restaurant and only see him a few hours a day. So nowadays I will come home from work and he will yelp and meow and attack me (not literally) with rubs and twirls on the floor. I will pet him and he will be totally into it. But like a light switch, he will go back into attack mode out of nowhere. I thought at first it was because of my roommate being gone and causing him some sort of anxiety, but this attack mode behavior has gone on for far too long.

Is there someone who can help me with this issue???

gold77

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone!

I need some help! Currently my roommate and I have one cat, Murmur. Murmur is a very independent boy. He always likes to be around people, but not interact with them so much. We respect his space and we never initiate any kind of touching unless he wants it. He is about three years old and he has displayed this kind of behavior since we rescued him at seven months old:

Murmur gets in these moods where he goes into a complete "attack mode". He will do it instantaneously. We will just be walking through the house when he pounces at our legs. And not in a playful way. He will dig his teeth and claws into our skin to the point that it is nearly impossible to even pry him off. He *REALLY* digs his claws and teeth into us! We have tried EVERYTHING to try and correct this behavior for years. Distractions with toys, corrective spray (the kind that just shoots out a loud puff of air), water bottles, putting him away in a room for only minutes at a time, etc. Nothing works! Its gotten to the point where we have to lock ourselves in a room until he gets bored.

My question of petting induced aggression comes into play here: currently my roommate who works from home is away on vacation for a month. He provided the play, when needed, and basically all of the attention. I come in secondarily with attention and such because I work all day long as a server in a restaurant and only see him a few hours a day. So nowadays I will come home from work and he will yelp and meow and attack me (not literally) with rubs and twirls on the floor. I will pet him and he will be totally into it. But like a light switch, he will go back into attack mode out of nowhere. I thought at first it was because of my roommate being gone and causing him some sort of anxiety, but this attack mode behavior has gone on for far too long.

Is there someone who can help me with this issue???

I agree with the other poster. I think it sounds like play aggression. When cats are kittens they learn how much or how little to use their claws and teeth when they play with other kittens. If your cat didn't have these opportunity, he may not realize that he is playing "too hard" and using too much claw and teeth action. He has pent up energy and is trying to release it. Try a laser pointer and get him running around the house. Maybe he'd like a cat wand with some feathers/ribbons on the end that you can use to get him to play. Cats play by simulating stalking, hunting, attacking. If you don't offer an outlet for him to do these things, you'll be the outlet!

Good luck :)

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with the other poster. I think it sounds like play aggression. When cats are kittens they learn how much or how little to use their claws and teeth when they play with other kittens. If your cat didn't have these opportunity, he may not realize that he is playing "too hard" and using too much claw and teeth action. He has pent up energy and is trying to release it. Try a laser pointer and get him running around the house. Maybe he'd like a cat wand with some feathers/ribbons on the end that you can use to get him to play. Cats play by simulating stalking, hunting, attacking. If you don't offer an outlet for him to do these things, you'll be the outlet!

Good luck :)
The information above is very accurate. When I adopted my now 12 year old Starbuck as 6 week old kitten she was very under-socialized. She had play aggression issues but they were directed at my other cats instead of us. One of my adult males had to teach her that biting his head was not an appropriate way to communicate wanting to play. He taught her this by pinning her to the floor with one paw until she calmed down and stopped biting him. Once she calmed down he would play with her. She actually learned to stop biting him fairly quickly. Hubby and I also did regular play time with her with wand toys to expend some of her energy. Our other two cats were 11 years old when we adopted her and we did not want them to feel like they could not relax around her.

Also a wand toy or the laser pointer might be useful for re-direction to try to stop the attacks before they happen.

Hellenww

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
He's still young and full of energy so I third play aggression not attack aggression. Teaching him to fetch will also teach him that you are not a toy and easier on you after a long day on your feet.

My Monkey-girl was raised by a toothless Papa-kat and didn't understand that biting hurt until we got a kitten that bit her back. Within 2 weeks her love bites became very gentle.