Petsafe Scoopfree thoughts

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone.

Delilah has had issues since I adopted her with chewing at and pulling at her paws until they start to get irritated. She was originally on clay litter, did it. Switched her to pine pellets, she hated those and I don't remember if she was doing it or not because it was a very short term usage. Switched her to World's Best and she's still doing it. Today at the vets we discussed possible causes. One of the possible solutions was switching to crystal litter.

I've been considering the Petsafe Scoopfree system. Is anyone using this? One of my concerns is that it suggests NOT to use it in a bathroom, but since I'm in a small 1 bedroom apartment I have limited places that I can put it. Has anyone used it in a bathroom?

Thanks in advance.

mizzely

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I don't have the Petsafe system but I us e non clumping crystal litter by Dr. Elsey's. I love it so much! And yes, we use it in a bathroom ;)

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Crystal litters are typically silica, that same stuff that's in the "do not eat" packets that come in shoes and stuff.

It also gets horribly smelly fast. The crystals soak up urine and it stinks.

My biggest issue with it though is both of my cats would rather hold it until they have an accident than pee in the box with crystal litter. I think it hurts their feet.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
On the plus side silica crystal litter is very useful around the garage and shed. I keep a jug of it around for spills and messes.

Works well for oil, gasoline and pool chemicals when they spill.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well, right now I'm testing crystal litter to see if the other litters are what's causing her to chew at her paws so much.

Nylonbottle

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well, right now I'm testing crystal litter to see if the other litters are what's causing her to chew at her paws so much.
I don’t know if it would be the same for cats, but in dogs, licking and chewing on feet is typically a sign of an allergy (food or environmental). Did your vet offer any medication? One of our dogs seemed to have a seasonal allergy and would be on meds during the spring and summer.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
I don’t know if it would be the same for cats, but in dogs, licking and chewing on feet is typically a sign of an allergy (food or environmental). Did your vet offer any medication? One of our dogs seemed to have a seasonal allergy and would be on meds during the spring and summer.
Itchy skin and fur mowing are common signs of allergy in cats so paw licking probably is as well.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The vet said allergy, but since this seems to be directed primarily at her paws we're trying to eliminate whether or not it was dust from the clay and corn litters by going to the crystal. If the chewing continues, then we are going to see about medicine.