Pets who get passed along ...

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This happens all over the US. Look at Pefinder or craigslist. I see it on facebook. This happens at the work place a lot too. Someone was rehoming a pet dog, because they were going to have a baby. That was the only reason. 2 healthy people can't raise one new baby and one well behaved family Labrador dog why? They stressed the pet was still intact so whoever wants her can have puppies later.

sherry526

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sorry, my grammar slips when I write in a hurry. I meant to say that the general consensus about Pirate, a cruelty case in '98, was that the 13 year old boy in the family had gouged out Pirate's eye--at some point in Pirate's life. This boy had killed his family's puppy and rabbit. The cruelty officer took the only surviving animal out of that home, which was Pirate.

Pirate was estimated at one year old when he came to the shelter. It was a case where the parents were in trouble for not sending the kids to school, and the kids were up to no good, and the boy was obviously very troubled at 13 years of age.

Pirate is the sweetest cat you'd ever meet for all he went through with that family. He says his "I love you" with the top of his head butting into me. He tells Harley, my greyhound, that he loves him in the same way. Harley butt sniffs him back.
It's so darn cute!! The other shelter ppl called Pirate, "Wink," so Wink is his middle name.

lorie d.

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I adopted Sweetie from a small shelter about a year and a half ago, I was told that people were giving up their pets because they could no longer afford to keep them due to the poor economy. Vet bills and etc. are very expensive and that could be at least part of the reason people are passing their pets along. I'm not defending the actions of anyone who does this to a pet, because I don't believe in adopting an animal unless you can make a lifetime commitment. I'm just offering a possible explaination.

Sherry526: Pirate sounds absolutely adorable and he's very lucky to have you.

sherry526

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Pirate, my one eyed wonder
Thanks. He sort of has a built in costume, and just needs the hat and big sword!