PeTa

lotsocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Nena, I think part of the problem with dairy products and eggs is the inhumane way some of the animals are treated to get those products.

The chickens who are the egg layers live their entire productive lives in a cage that is too short to stand up in. Literally, all she can do is to sit, eat, and put out eggs. If the chicken is "free range" which means it can go outside and walk around and then come back in when it is time to lay the eggs, many vegetarians don't have a problems with it.

With dairy cattle, one problem is that the boy calves are usually slaughtered for veal, which requires them to be kept in small cages where they can't move so their muscles will be tender. Also, dairy cattle are often fed hormones and antibiotics (and other stuff) to increase production all of which ends up in the milk. Then, what happens to the cows when they are no longer productive will bother some vegetarians.

I could go on......

The main idea is the treatment of the animals. If the animals who produce the milk and eggs are treated cruelly, then why support the people who are being cruel? If they have good lives and are treated well, why not use their products?

However, some who refuse to eat eggs and dairy products do so because they believe it is wrong to "use" or subjugate other critters. So, even if the animals are treated humanely, they will not use their products.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

airprincess

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
about the difference being between animal rights and animal welfare. I think most of us here, are proponents of animal welfare. Most of us own at least a cat, and some of us many more, along with various other animals. We all love our animals and do the best we can for them. We don't want any animal to 'suffer'. Animal rights is a whole other can of worms. On the animal advocacy board that I visit, a lot of the members feel that animals should have the same rights as humans.

Not to long ago, someone brought up the topic about cloning pigs for transplants. One of the zealots stated that she would rather die with a clear conscience than accept one. I asked her if she would feel the same if it were her child, mother, father or spouse (not knowing which one of these she had) she said that her parents were dead and she didn't have childern, and that it would be her spouses choice rather or not he took a transplant, but she would be proud of him if he decided not to. This blew me away! I'm sorry, but a pigs life is not equal to mine, or my loved ones, at least not in my world. Not everyone feels that way obviously. And some that say they do may be singing another tune if the situation actually arose. I didn't even respond to her after that, because I can't even grasp that kind of thinking, so it seemed pointless to debate it.

I have to say I've learned alot from the AA board. I'm more aware of some of the cruelties that occur, and I'm always blown away by the 'holier than thou' attitudes.

If any of you want to check it out, here's the address

http://acmepet.petsmart.com/club/bboard/ar/index.html

It's SO interesting, and after reading through it you'll appreciate how nice our little community actually is!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

airprincess

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Dawn,

I very rarely jump in the debates, but I couldn't help this time. And I couldn't argue with her. You can't debate 'well I don't believe you really would be proud of your husbands choice to die' I do like to lurk and read. It's a real eye opener.

jin & spawn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
AP, I don't think you'll be seeing me at that site! My blood pressure just skyrockets when I see people like that. It's much simpler for me to completely avoid situations where I would just get myself in trouble!

Chalk me up on the side that completely supports animal welfare but shies away from animal rights.