Pet Psychic?

thirtysilver

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The Pet Psychic ues the same tricks fake psychics have been using to fool people for years. While I do believe in psychics, I don't pretend to know how to explain what they d. I don't believe they should be looked to as oracles by lazy and desperate people.
Animals, whether we want to believe it or not, do not think like humans. They can't; they don't have as advanced or powerful a brain. This Pet Psychic lady is ridiculous.

By the way . . . did I read right? Someone says Pet Psychic drawing power from demonic forces?

Many of the Biblical prophets possessed what Christians believe were powers of augury (they saw the future). They foretold the birth of Christ, interpeted dreams, and drew power from god. Even Jesus performed these feats to some extent. I don't think psychics are conjuring demons . . I just think some of them are tricking people because they're jerks.
-Ryan

bren.1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I watched the Pet Psychic once. I think she's full of you know what. And John what's his name, too. I watch those shows, and all I can think is infomercial. They're scamming the audience just like those people who sell exercise in a bottle, etc.

I have a set of tarot cards. I was learning to read them a few years ago, I did some readings for friends. It was freaky how the cards they picked really matched their situations at the time.

thirtysilver

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
There has to be some reason why Tarot cards tend to hit their mark from time to time.
All I can assume is that their accuracy is due to the human tendency to make connections. We humans like to put things together. We will even tie unrelated events together if they have or seem to have a common element.
For instance: you give away a bike to charity. The next week, you win a bike in a raffle. The two events are wolly unrelated, but many people would connect them because of the common elemnt of the bike.
This is probably why Tarot cards work. Also, Tarot and fake psychics tend to use broad generalizations to trick people.

Psychic: "I'm getting an M name . . . Mat, Mick, Mike . . ."

Victim: "No . . ."

Psychic "Well, there's someone with an M sound in their name. Like Matt or Mary . . . maybe Tim or Tom . . ."

Victim: "My counsin's name is Tom!"

This technique is called "cold reading." It's tough to spot because humans like to think about themselves. We have some trouble seeing things from other points of view. Plus, we aren't very good at figuring odds or detecting deceit. Psychics have bees using this cold reading technique for 100s of years.

Of course, who knows? Maybe there is something to Tarot cards.
I believe in psychics, but I don't believe in true prescience. I don' thnk a psychic will ever say, "Tomorrow, Bob Denver, wearing loose-fitting pants and a New York Dolls shirt, will kill you on the crosstown bus." This is because prescience is never so reliable. Psychics seem to get flashes of information that are jumbled up.
-Ryan

okeefecl

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Personally, I use Tarot cards, but not as a psychic tool. Rather, I use them as a tool to get at my deep-buried, or subsconcious, feelings. If you look at any manual describing the card's meanings, they can be wide-ranging and awfully vague. When I am unsure of what my feelings are about something (i.e. how do I feel about this relationship? this job?) I can find something in the vague meanings that feels right. It helps me define what I'm not consciously aware of feeling.

lorie d.

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Orginally posted by Thirtysilver
Animals, whether we want to believe it or not, do not think like humans. They can't; they don't have as advanced or powerful a brain
I agree that an animal isn't capable of the kind of thought process that a human has. However, I have read in a couple of different publications about cats that it is possible to communicate telepathically with an animal. According to what I have read, this is done by forming a mental picture and projecting it to the animal. The animal would receive the picture and then send back a different image.

I have never tried to do this and I don't know how accurate this information is. It's just something that I have read about in the past.

thirtysilver

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't want to believe in the pet-telepathy idea, but I can't say that it's impossible.
Humans form well defined mental pictures. We're good at imagining because we have powerful brains. But my cat does not have a human brain, so the pictures he forms in his head will not be as well-defined as mine. We have a good knowldge of spatial relationships, plus we tend to think in language. Cats do not understand spatial relationships very well, and they cannot comprehend human language. I think trying to send a mental image to my cat would be like trying to plug a 200 watt amp into a 50 watt outlet. I am smart. Not only that, I am sentient. I think animal brains may be too primitive to accept the telepathic transmissions of human awareness.

I tend to be a realist. While I believe in psychics and other such weird phenomena, I try to live my life on my own steam. If I need a question answered, I use logic to devise the best way to answer it. I don't rely on talismans or superstition to get in touch with my feelings.
It is my opinion that humans have enormous problem solving potential -potential that is largely untapped even []within[/i] the usable regions of our brains. The problem is, we're lazy. We can solve problems ourselves, but we don't want to. We want god or the Pet Psychic or some other outside force to take care of us so we can be spared the effort of expending any mental energy.
I don't claim to be some kind of intellectual superman; I'm just as guilty as anyone else of preferring a simple and obvious solution over a difficult and wholly "un-magical" one. I just think that people in this country are too quick to say, "I can't" or "That's mpossible."
-Rya