Pet Pictures with Santa

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I just got back from the pet store and they were having pictures with Santa.  A couple came in with 3 Labs, one of each color, and all 3 were hyped up.  The couple were so embarrassed.  I don't know if they were trained or not, they could be like little kids when they are in public with a lot of people.  I wished the guy playing Santa Claus good luck.  The employees each took one dog off to themselves to calm down, I don't know if that worked or not.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh boy!  
  We had a lab mix (best dog ever!) and she was pretty silly.  As a puppy she was one who would get excited and pee on your feet.  When I was a teenager I had my entire youth group over for one of my birthdays.  Tasha was a nut!  She pulled her lead out of the ground while the guys were playing football in the yard; so one of my (dog-inexperienced) friends offered to hold it like a leash.  She ended up taking my friend for a run around the block!  

She wasn't completely un-trained.  My mom had her trained to help carry small bags of garbage outside.  She'd give her the bathroom trash bag while she carried the bigger.  Of course sometimes Tasha would run laps around the yard holding the bag.  Once it broke open...  Another time she was running laps while my mother gardened and crashed into my Mother; leaving a lump on top of Mom's head!  

This is also the dog that got on the counter and ate half the Christmas cookies my Mom and I had spent 2 days making.  And a plate of donuts at my Grandparents.  

She's not sounding so trained after all...  
  She was trained to stay in the yard even off leash, did basic commands but struggled with walking next to us instead of ahead on walks.  She had a spot she was trained to go to while we ate our meals and that sort of thing too.  But yup; she'd find her trouble.  She loved to bounce and prance and play.  Even when she got old and sickly you could see her silly expressions.  When my Mom came home from the dollar store with a puppy she was so great with Abby!  She loved having another dog to play with.  I miss her!!  

My step-dad used to talk about having 3 labs like that; one of each color.  The Realtor who helped my parents and I find our houses breeds chocolate labs and does dog training as well (they should have called her for help with Tasha!).  When my DD was a baby i brought her to the Realtor's house to meet her and they had 2 litters.  Super duper adorable!!  She had a video system set up that we watched them on.  

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I used to take Banshee
  in to have her picture taken with "Santa Paws" every year. She behaved perfectly and was always the perfect little girl. Even Santa couldn't get over how well-behaved she was. 

I wouldn't even consider doing that with Mollipop! 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I never considered it with my kitties.  Patches would probably go along with it but I don't think he would care for it, probably be scared.  I wouldn't attempt it with Alice, she would throw a hissy fit the whole time.  If I just took Patches then he would have to deal with Alice hissing at him for awhile afterwords because he smelled different.

pinkdagger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
lol, I think it's a super cute idea, but have never done it with any of my pets (mostly because they're more or less housebound, so it would cause more stress than anything else).  I really like seeing those pictures for adoptable pets though!

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I noticed Walmart has Santa suits on sale in the Christmas department.

There's a new job idea for someone; get the suit and schedule appointments at people's homes for pet portraits!  If you can get them to come out of hiding!  Maybe spray down with feliway and rub the suit with catnip before every appointment!  

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Pam do you remember taking the above one at my house.

Here is a Christmas photo but it's not with Santa.  It was taken by photographers at a nearby store.  This is Misty when she was about 2 or 3 years old.

Autumn would never have stood still for this.

Last edited:

Freedom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
A local rescue has Pet Pics with Santa as a fundraiser every year.  I used to go and volunteer to help with the pets both days (Sat and Sun).  It was amazing to me -- to all of us!  -- how clueless so many owners seemed to be.  Take your dog for a walk first, make sure they do their business, then run and let them get tired.  Do this before you appointment with us!  Also, bathe your pet on the Thurs or Fri before.  Can't tell you how often folks brought in smelly, stinky animals!

We use a professional pet photographer who donates her time.  She designs the set, brings all the props and of course her camera and lights.  She also have a supply of accessories for those who need.  Folks can order 8x10, 5x7, wallets, personalized holiday cards, etc.  They return to pick up their orders 2 weeks later.  The photographer takes 3 to 7 photos, and she selects the best one.  She will match heads so if one pet is looking in one shot, another pet in the other shot, she puts it all together and you'd never know it was a photoshopped picture.  She has an extensive supply of toys, squeakers, balls, whistles and duck calls to get the pets' attention.  We will do photos of pets, with and without family members, with and without Santa.  It's become quite a tradition with many people.  The rescue makes about $1500 from the 2 days, each year.

Anyway, I was involved with this group for over 12 years, it was so much fun helping with the pet!  We had dogs, cats, guinea pigs, birds, reptiles, hens and rooster, a goat and a donkey!  (At different times, I mean).  The woman who brought in the 3 guinea pigs had crocheted Santa hats for each, and we set it up as a close up, with Santa's arms crossed in front of him just below his beard, the 3 piggies in his arms, so the white beard was the background for them.  Awesome result!

And I used to take my pets in as well.  I'll attach a few photos!  In the early years I had cats.  Later, my Dad moved in with me (for health reasons) and I added dogs as well.  The first one is a photo of a photo.  I really need to scan the original so it is clear!  We needed Mrs. Clause to assist us.  She was in back baking cookies for the elves, but was willing to help.  Everyone -- Santa, his wife, all of us volunteers -- stay in character as we have young children attend this event.

Freedom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Now this photo is from another event, a fund raiser for a local dog park.  Don't use the park, don't volunteer with this group, but went to support the cause.  They were using polaroid cameras and had printers set up there; for $5 you got your photo instantly.  The local newspaper had a photographer covering the event; this photo ended up on page ONE, ABOVE the fold, and in color!  My 3 dogs are famous! From the left, Willy, Riley and Tasha.  You can see the difference not using a professional photographer, they have that large black space on the left, which appeared in everyone's photo.  Still they raised $400 from this event which ran from 10 AM to 4 PM.  They had 3 different Santas, each for 2 hours.  The Volunteers paid for the film, paper, and printer ink, and I know they were stunned at how much it ran them.  They are doing this again this year (last year was a first) and I plan to go support them again.  I am interested to see what changes they make!

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
     That's one happy Santa!!

And they don't even 'hound' him for presents..

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
What wonderful pictures, Freedom! Outstanding!

Carol, I do remember that picture. I think, at the last minute, she put her head up. Gosh, Misty was pretty. I always loved the black and white on her.

Freedom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you!  If you have dogs, you can easily go broke buying stuff at www.petedge.com, my dogs have an extensive wardrobe.  And if you live near either of their 2 locations, sign up for emails so you get notified of their outlet sales; all outfits $3, or 2 for $5.  You do need to go early for these events.  (Signing up  means you get a message daily of some thing or other, I just delete those and wait for the biggie!)

That Santa was awesome, his wife did his makeup, she put a coat of white on top?  Made him look like a manikin! 

Mooch and Noodle, Mani, Windchester, glad you enjoyed our photos of "Christmas Past." 

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Thank you!  If you have dogs, you can easily go broke buying stuff at www.petedge.com, my dogs have an extensive wardrobe.  And if you live near either of their 2 locations, sign up for emails so you get notified of their outlet sales; all outfits $3, or 2 for $5.  You do need to go early for these events.  (Signing up  means you get a message daily of some thing or other, I just delete those and wait for the biggie!)
Oh my gosh I could get lost on that site!  My MIL adopted her Chihuahua almost a year ago.  It's cold where they are; so she needs plenty of warm apparel!  
  I wonder if I can get my girls to wear any of those.... 

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I did it once with my last cat:

In hindsight, it was really stupid of me. It was in the middle of a crowded shopping mall. What if she had gotten loose? :(