Pet Peeves

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Bees are living creatures, whether they are insects or animals is a moot point.
I love bees. The pollinate stuff and for some reason, I find them adorable. We have what we call "Florida snow". It's clusters of very small white and pale purple flowers that grow on the weed patches we call lawns. I have these flowers all over until the "lawn" is cut. When I take the dog out in the AM, the flowers are open and there are little bees everywhere. I just love seeing them. They ignore me while I watch them buzz about doing what they do best. 

kissthisangel

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Anyway, a pet peeve is people who drive in the lane that is not backed up and then cut into the one I"ve been sitting in for a long time, because they figure they are too good to have to wait in the line with the rest of us.  Follow up peeve, people who let them in.
I don't drive, but I know that grinds my partner. it's also dangerous too since you're basically leaving no room for mistakes from oncoming traffic either. all to get one or two cars ahead.

Another thing that really gets me is people on the bus not even offering their seats if someone is clearly struggling to stand. Just offer, the person might say no, just get up and say would you like to sit down. I know some people might have a hidden inability to stand but surely not 32 people if there is an older person or someone with a visible disability just get up.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've noticed in articles & movies that Brits now say "I am bored of that place" instead of "I am bored with that place". Cringeworthy, but seems to be acceptable usage now. Not in America, thank goodness.

Last edited:

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Bees are living creatures, whether they are insects or animals is a moot point.
Bees are classified in the animal kingdom so, yes, they are animals. The taxonomy gets broken down even further as seen at http://www.itis.gov/servlet/SingleRpt/SingleRpt?search_topic=TSN&search_value=154396

Another thing that really gets me is people on the bus not even offering their seats if someone is clearly struggling to stand. Just offer, the person might say no, just get up and say would you like to sit down. I know some people might have a hidden inability to stand but surely not 32 people if there is an older person or someone with a visible disability just get up.
I see that happen a lot. I'm hardly ever offered a seat on the bus in the morning (not hat I need it but sometimes my wonky foot bothers me. I usually get a seat at some point) but the woman who gets on at the next stop and appears to be around my age if not younger is offered a seat all the time
No idea why unelss it some unconcious bias or something.

People who talk over you while you're talking is annoying.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This happened today: a man with crutches hobbled onto the bus and no one offered him a seat. Eventually an older woman did. The 20 year old sitting next to her who was playing on his smartphone played oblivious to the world. Really?? Another woman talked to the guy about his grandma or something and he responded back to her so he clearly is aware of what's happening around him.
Drives me nuts when people don't give their seats up for someone who clearly needs it, especially 20 year olds who are only concerned about what's on their smartphone screens.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Years ago, when I was in college, I spent six weeks on crutches because of knee problems. Doctors' orders. The school gave me a handicapped parking pass for the duration. Anyway, one of my classes was up on the third floor of the building and it had no elevator. So there I was, crutches, books, my Jansen bag, all that good stuff. Well, the guys in my class came through for me. They actually waited at the front of the building for me to get there, carried my stuff up all those flights of stairs, walked directly behind me, so that if I fell, I wouldn't fall back down the steps, and at the end of class, they did the same thing to get me back down to the ground floor. There were five guys in that class and every single one of them helped me for the entire six weeks. They didn't know me from Eve at the beginning, but they knew I needed help. I thought they were all wonderful They were real sweethearts.

Ahem....back on topic (sorry, but I wanted you to know that not all guys are cellphone idiots; there are some real sweeties out there. Or maybe I was just lucky.) Anyway, have you noticed that people do not seem to use turn signals anymore when they're driving? Even older people. I don't know, is it because they can't reach the turn signal when they've got a cell phone in their hand or what's going on? Nobody uses turn signals anymore....makes me crazy.

Grocery clerks who throw your items down the belt. You know, groceries are expensive these days and it really fries my chickens when I've picked out a really nice cut of meat, only to have the clerk throw it down the belt, get it caught it in the belt and then the plastic is ripped (and that has happened often). Or the clerk will just keep adding to the belt and adding to the mess at the end of the belt. There I am trying to get things bagged and all this stuff keeps coming and coming. Soda gets piled next to the produce, the flour ends up on the eggs. The other night, it happened again. And I hit the roof. I told the clerk to stop the belt, that if she didn't want to bag, that was OK, BUT stop the damn belt so that I could at least get rid of some of items. And to kindly pay attention, PLEASE. Rick was embarrassed until the woman who was behind him spoke up and said, "You tell her! She does that all the time! I'm tired of picking out peaches only to have these idiots throw cans on top of them!" The clerk wasn't amused, but I don't care anymore. Food is not cheap. (Rick says he just knows that the clerks see me coming and start praying, "Oh lord, please don't let her come to me! Please have her go to somebody else!" I don't care. I'm tired of dealing with people who have no clue. If you don't want to do your job, then quit. Because I'm tired of your incompetence.)

ETA: And while I'm on the subject of clerks, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE!!! stop licking your fingers to open the plastic bags. It's gross and it's disgusting. When I see them do it, I refuse to use the bag and make her open another bag WITHOUT licking her fingers first. I've even gone to management to request sponges at each cash register. Big deal. Sponges do nothing when the clerks won't use them. I emailed WalMart corporate about it one time, with the store number and the name of the clerk (and this was after I had gone to store management). The corporate office called me about it and I told them it was a disgusting practice. They agreed and the next time we went into WM, there was a sponge at the check-out. Again, no good if it's not used. 

See what happens when I get started?? 

Last edited:

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Years ago, when I was in college, I spent six weeks on crutches because of knee problems. Doctors' orders. The school gave me a handicapped parking pass for the duration. Anyway, one of my classes was up on the third floor of the building and it had no elevator. So there I was, crutches, books, my Jansen bag, all that good stuff. Well, the guys in my class came through for me. They actually waited at the front of the building for me to get there, carried my stuff up all those flights of stairs, walked directly behind me, so that if I fell, I wouldn't fall back down the steps, and at the end of class, they did the same thing to get me back down to the ground floor. There were five guys in that class and every single one of them helped me for the entire six weeks. They didn't know me from Eve at the beginning, but they knew I needed help. I thought they were all wonderful They were real sweethearts.

Ahem....back on topic (sorry, but I wanted you to know that not all guys are cellphone idiots; there are some real sweeties out there. Or maybe I was just lucky.) Anyway, have you noticed that people do not seem to use turn signals anymore when they're driving? Even older people. I don't know, is it because they can't reach the turn signal when they've got a cell phone in their hand or what's going on? Nobody uses turn signals anymore....makes me crazy.

Grocery clerks who throw your items down the belt. You know, groceries are expensive these days and it really fries my chickens when I've picked out a really nice cut of meat, only to have the clerk throw it down the belt, get it caught it in the belt and then the plastic is ripped (and that has happened often). Or the clerk will just keep adding to the belt and adding to the mess at the end of the belt. There I am trying to get things bagged and all this stuff keeps coming and coming. Soda gets piled next to the produce, the flour ends up on the eggs. The other night, it happened again. And I hit the roof. I told the clerk to stop the belt, that if she didn't want to bag, that was OK, BUT stop the damn belt so that I could at least get rid of some of items. And to kindly pay attention, PLEASE. Rick was embarrassed until the woman who was behind him spoke up and said, "You tell her! She does that all the time! I'm tired of picking out peaches only to have these idiots throw cans on top of them!" The clerk wasn't amused, but I don't care anymore. Food is not cheap. (Rick says he just knows that the clerks see me coming and start praying, "Oh lord, please don't let her come to me! Please have her go to somebody else!" I don't care. I'm tired of dealing with people who have no clue. If you don't want to do your job, then quit. Because I'm tired of your incompetence.)

ETA: And while I'm on the subject of clerks, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE!!! stop licking your fingers to open the plastic bags. It's gross and it's disgusting. When I see them do it, I refuse to use the bag and make her open another bag WITHOUT licking her fingers first. I've even gone to management to request sponges at each cash register. Big deal. Sponges do nothing when the clerks won't use them. I emailed WalMart corporate about it one time, with the store number and the name of the clerk (and this was after I had gone to store management). The corporate office called me about it and I told them it was a disgusting practice. They agreed and the next time we went into WM, there was a sponge at the check-out. Again, no good if it's not used. 

See what happens when I get started?? 

I work in retail and while I am not a cashier anymore I do ring up people's items and make sure I am not breaking or damaging things.  I too get annoyed when I go grocery shopping and the cashier squishes things on the belt or the bagger puts things together that should not be.  There is one bagger at my grocery store that I will not let bag my stuff at all.  The cashiers at this store shop where I work so we know each other.  They tell the bagger not to bag my stuff.  The cashier and I bag the items since we both know what we are doing.  If I am in a lane with no bagger I usually just bag my own stuff because it makes things faster.  The bagger that annoyed me tried to bag my eggs with a 6 pack of pop and a jar of pasta sauce.  I caught it right away and fixed it.  I also told him eggs should be bagged separately or only with bread. The cashier agreed with me and told him not to do that again. 

It is nice when people step up to help you while you are on crutches. I was on crutches to while I was in college but did not have a car.  I told one of my professors I was going to have to leave her class a few minutes early because my next class was on the other end of campus and the professor from that class was getting mad at me for running late. My professor from the first class had a free period after that class and she drove me across campus for 3 weeks so I was on time for my next class.

Last edited:

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I usually have a small order so I go through the self check line.  The people at the store I go to generally do a pretty good job.  The guys who bag and get carts back from the parking lot are mentally challenged in some way and they usually do a good job.  I don't go at busy times so it isn't a big issue.  They are a bit slow but the cashier doesn't overwhelm them and they know what should and should not be bagged together.  I don't know what is done at busy times, I am sure there is a different system in place then.

raina21

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
When people judge bigger people based upon their looks and what they THINK that person's diet is like (metabolic disorders are a thing).

When people judge a person based upon appearance/weight.

When people automatically assume that bigger people are lazy.

When I am out in public and I can feel people silently judging me for eating.

Clothing items that are "One size fits all."

When people are rude to cashiers.

When people don't tip the waiter/waitress.

When people don't use their turn signals.

kissthisangel

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

this isn't really a thing in the UK, if you have a big bill when you eat out you tip but only up to the nearest £5 or £10 depending on how many in the party, but otherwise not at all. We don't tip delivery people, hotel staff, waitresses, bar tenders. nothing like that as a rule. If you're working in one of those roles you literally are astounded if you get a tip. The only real exception to this is taxi drivers as they always charge say £x.20 o 40 and you just say "keep the change" because it's easier than standing next to their car awkwardly whilst they count out a few pence.

oldgloryrags88

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
When people judge bigger people based upon their looks and what they THINK that person's diet is like (metabolic disorders are a thing).

When people judge a person based upon appearance/weight.

When people automatically assume that bigger people are lazy.

When I am out in public and I can feel people silently judging me for eating.

Clothing items that are "One size fits all."

When people are rude to cashiers.

When people don't use their turn signals.

Bigger doesn't always mean overweight. I am 5'9 and 214 lbs and yes, I am female. No, I am not overweight. I eat good (no candy, soda, fast food, etc) and exercise daily. People always say they don't believe my weight, but when I step on the scale they do. My doctor says that I am very healthy. I can feel all my ribs (but can't see them unless I turn). I am happy with my weight.

That is awful that someone would judge you based on your appearance and weight. :( Don't listen to them. You should be proud of yourself regardless. Bigger does NOT make you ugly. Skinny is not pretty either always. It's the uniqueness a person has that makes them beautiful. :) People that judge others for looks or weight is either a: jealous. Or b: so bored with their own lives that they must make fun of others. Ignore those people.

Bigger people are not lazy. Well, I mean I'm sure some are but not all of them. I've meant skinny people that were lazy as can be.

Never let someone judge you for eating! That's silly. We all must eat to live. I advocate healthy eating but that is a life choice that I made for myself.

Some more pet peeves of mine are:

People that abuse animals, kids, or any living thing.

When someone makes a mess and denies it and does not clean it up or help.

Anyone that is rude. We all have our bad days but...

profdanglais

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

this isn't really a thing in the UK, if you have a big bill when you eat out you tip but only up to the nearest £5 or £10 depending on how many in the party, but otherwise not at all. We don't tip delivery people, hotel staff, waitresses, bar tenders. nothing like that as a rule. If you're working in one of those roles you literally are astounded if you get a tip. The only real exception to this is taxi drivers as they always charge say £x.20 o 40 and you just say "keep the change" because it's easier than standing next to their car awkwardly whilst they count out a few pence.
The tipping culture in the US is actually a pet peeve of mine. It is out of control. I get that servers rely on tips, and I do tip when I eat out there, but honestly I'd rather pay more for my food and have servers paid a decent wage. And then there are a whole host of other people who expect tips and it's such a minefield, trying to work out whom to tip and how much...ugh. I prefer countries where tipping is not a thing. The best customer service in the world is in Japan, and they don't take tips there. They're insulted if you try to tip them. 

raina21

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I understand that its not like that in the UK. But here in the US most wait staff are paid very low wages and basically rely on tips. For instance, a friend of mine works at a local diner called Steak n' Shake and the wait staff there is only paid $2.50 an hour (thats only about £ 1.8 per hour). And they rely on tips for the rest of their pay. So it really is quite rude when people don't at least leave a tip.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It drives me nuts when people ask if I have a sister and when I say no their next question is " Do you miss not having a sister?" I'm not quite sure how it's possible to miss something you've never had :scratch: I get what they mean but it would be better if they asked " Do you wish you had a sister?" instead.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It drives me nuts when people ask if I have a sister and when I say no their next question is " Do you miss not having a sister?" I'm not quite sure how it's possible to miss something you've never had :scratch: I get what they mean but it would be better if they asked " Do you wish you had a sister?" instead.
As the parent of an only child, I also love the people who ask, "when are you having another?" My reply, "Never". Their next question? "Don't you think that's selfish?" My reply. "No". The I get the judgemental look. I also like the people who, upon finding out DD is an only child, give me the fake sympathetic smile as if I must have TRIED to have more but failed.

My mother is one of the judgemental ones. He words, "Anyone who only has one child is selfish". That is a direct, verbatim quote. I must have heard it 1,000 times when I was a kid.

:rolleyes2

raina21

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
As the parent of an only child, I also love the people who ask, "when are you having another?" My reply, "Never". Their next question? "Don't you think that's selfish?" My reply. "No". The I get the judgemental look. I also like the people who, upon finding out DD is an only child, give me the fake sympathetic smile as if I must have TRIED to have more but failed.

My mother is one of the judgemental ones. He words, "Anyone who only has one child is selfish". That is a direct, verbatim quote. I must have heard it 1,000 times when I was a kid.

:rolleyes2
And then there are the people who look down upon women who don't want children at all.

I personally never want to have kids. Its not that I don't like kids. Its just that I can't ever see myself being a mother. I also have so many genetic health problems that- why in the world would I ever want to pass any of that on to a kid? And I have depression too so there is no telling whether I'd have the mental ability to actually love and care for a child. And yet people still call me selfish when I say I never want kids.

My animals are my children and that is how it always will be :)

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I was an only child, my parents married later in life. This was in the 1950's before technology extended childbearing years. It really is no one else's business about how many or if someone has children. I too think it is rude to ask questions or make comments about it. People act as though there is a group of unborn children that will not have a life if people decide to not have children or to only have one child.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I actually find it very satisfying to tell people I am child free.

I used to get a lot of that nonsense about having children being a "woman's role" or a "woman's duty" when I was younger. As if women only have the right to life if they are helping to pass on a man's genes to the next generation. I have a private gloat whenever I think about that now. Here I am, nearly 40, in full-time employment, eating up my share of the food and breathing up my share of the air and I don't have any kids!

I think kids are great, but I know I wouldn't have had the patience to be a good mother and I have absolutely no regrets about my decision not to have children.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My mom's thing was that she feels it is "wrong" to "deprive" a child of siblings. I disagree. I think my DD would have liked a sibling when she was small but when asked now at 21 if she wishes she had one, her answer is always NO. She also knows that she does not want children and is considering a tubal ligation. She said that if were ever to change her mind, she could adopt.

Can you imagine the looks I get when I tell people that? The sympathetic, "Oh you poor thing. You'll never have grandchildren" look. Guess what? I couldn't care less if she has any or not. it's her life, not mine and at the end of the day it will be her decision. I can't stand people who nag their children to have babies.

When I was growing up, our next door neighbor had 2 kids- a girl and a boy. Neither ended up having children. My mother acted like this was a world ending tragedy that this woman had no grandchildren. They chose their lives and their paths. Heaven help us all. :rolleyes2