Pet peeves- ON THE INTERNET!

clairebear

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I really hate the know it alls. The ones that think thier way is the only way of doing something. Another thing that bothers me are people who lie and makeup fake online persona's.

pekoe & nigel

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

I think we're all painfully aware of how easy it is to be misunderstood online, so some of us go to extremes in trying to make our intentions clear -- and part of that is trying to make our written words "sound" more like actual speech. So we take liberties, throwing in ellipses and Italics and smilies in an effort to create a more natural flow with our words than legitimate punctuation would render.
That's exactly how I feel, and it irritates me endlessly that I do it, but just cannot help myself. That darn exclamation mark, so tempting!!!! The thing is that I find the bad habits I've acquired on the Internet transfer over to my other written communications, most embarrassingly in my work emails. I'm always looking for smilies to punctuate them with...

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
1) People who have to post their every thought like the net is there diary.
2) People who can't make a simple decision for themselves and feel the need to post question after question online.
3) Extreme short hand typing. (H R U 2day)

mrjonah

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The emails that say if you forward this to 10 friends you are popular, wonderful and love life. If you forward it to 5 you are slightly pessimistic and a scrooge. If you forward it to 1 friend you are really a pathetic excuse for a human being and you might as well turn the computer off and take a whole bottle of pills. I'm paraphrasing a bit here of course....

Or the ones that say so and so didn't forward this and then broke his neck the next day and so on....I make a point of deleting those with glee!!!

isadora44

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
A few things that I detest:

* The way teenagers write when communicating on the internet....adding a "z" instead of an "s", numbers in place of letters, misspelling for the sake of being cool...or whatever you call it. I won't even text message in shorthand

* People that don't break up long posts into smaller paragraphs. If you haven't broken up a long post, I won't read past the first sentence.

* Bad grammar and punctuation. I'm a spelling, grammar, and punctuation FREAK!! I won't even send an e-mail to my husband without proof reading it.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

Now, finally... the thing I hate most of all on the internet:

LOL.

I hate LOL. I have never LOLled, and I never plan to LOL so long as I live.
The interesting thing about people who tend to use lol, especially in chats, is that they don't always use it when they think something is funny. It's sort of the internet version of 'uh huh' that a person uses to prove they're still there and listening. I'm certainly guilty of using it as such.

One of my biggest pet peeves is when I make a post on a forum, whether it be this one or another, and the very next person to post after me says the same thing almost word for word.
Is it so important for a person to get their post count up that they can't even be useful? Instead they have to copy everyone else.

After the obvious annoyance of people using bad grammar and punctuation, I'd have to include people using double negatives. There is even someone who did so in this very thread.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I always do this......and I don't want to.....but I do!!

And I tend to end my sentences like this!!!! And overuse my smilies.

essayons89

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Chain e-mails. I can't stand those things. I never open them and just end up deleting them.

I help mod on a couple of forums and the one thing that irritates me to no end is when someone starts a thread to ask a question or about a problem and then makes another post fifteen minutes later complaining as to why nobody replied yet. Give it a rest and be patient, the world doesn't revolve around you.

nightcats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh god what a can o worms ??:censor::censor::censor: .....you did ask me! so heres mine
The worst thing I hate about the internet is

Forums that make out they help animals and all you see is a load of bu**poo and fictitiuos storys and
the mods knoe they are bull-poo but cant/wont ban them.there is one forum on the internet and one
of the mods is a kid whos parents let her cat outside and got pregnant and they eventually dumped
the said cats on waste land near their property??What does that say about THAT forum?
Well if you find it,You will see there have been no posts in that feral forum since the member left last
year WHY?
because there is no confidence in a site when the mods don't know what they are talking about.
(hey if you really wanna know just pm me!)
Ohh Natalie_ca you are sooo right!! I have been a "member " on numerous forums,I have fallen into the
trap of becoming friends with people,but found they just want an excuse to "gossip to their friends"
about us!

I believe the internet and anybody hosting any site on the internet has an obligation to make sure only
accurate information is posted.

I dont think it serves any purpose to pander to trolls,and there are different types of trolls,there are the
ones that want a response right now and there are the ones who leech off peoples support and feelings
and think nothing wrong with deceiving members who think they are friends and post extremely
upsetting articles that they say they can do nothing about....we call them blaggers.ARGGGHHHH

I hate spam e-mails that pretend to be from someone in my address book because it has a little
envelope at the side of it.I get dozens of those a day,I HATE THEM!!
I hate people trying to get to knoe me on the internet,when they are really just two faced
backstabbers trying to make their saad life more interesting by making up storys for thier cronies
because they have nothing more in their life! They are very very sad people.I'm so glad I have nobody
like that in my life!!

I dont like it when people who do not comprehend the English language too well and then decide to
criticize me for something I have said when in fact they have taken what I said out of the context
I said it and have the downright cheek to slagg me off for it.(cheeky buggers)
Oh and not forgetting, I hate forums that let people post their cat journals and cat escapades that end
up with the person getting rid of the "offending" cat,when that person has not sought professional
advice regarding the integration of the cat or any other means to alleviate a problem with their vet.
A good forum will not allow these kind of posts,That is how I measure a "good" forum!!

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
1) the forwards ... I delete them all. If Jesus stops loving me, a plane falls on my head, I lose at the lottery, I never find love or Bill Gates with never pay for that poor child's kidney - yep, it is all MY fault

2) Spam from those Nigerian lawyers

3) Liars and fakers. Others here have described these people so I won't go into it.

4) Too many !!!!!!!! I know it shouldn't bother me. Maybe it is because I cannot stand yelling in real life. Don't yet at me on the 'net please

I have a friend who is an English professor. She cannot believe how many !!!! she uses online

5) People who post on forums in an attempt to gain justification for something they know is wrong. They ask the question and when they don't get the answer they want, they flame those who took the time to answer them.

6) People who threaten to leave a forum in a post. I have been tempted to do this but never would. I'll just leave. Why announce? It is a forum, not your job.

I like the smilies here. I use ..... and ---- a lot. I use them as a pause in my train of thought. Weird, I know. i also do not mind run-on sentences or paragraphs. I go through them as though they are a word puzzle and try to figure out what the poster is trying to say. Yep, I truly need a life! I don't feel I'm too much a grammar/spelling nazi though. I don't speak/write as well on forums as I do in real life. People can either accept me or not

We have a 16yr old young man working with us this summer. When he doesn't know something, he says "idk" for I don't know. Drives me batty. Told him it makes no sense to use the same amount of syllables to say the same thing. Ah well, I must be old

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rockcat

...During a forum debate, it irritates me when people who have already made their point keep posting the same thing with different wording. I feel like posting back "I understood the first 18 times!"...
I was going to say the exact same thing.

danimarie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia View Post
I think we're all painfully aware of how easy it is to be misunderstood online, so some of us go to extremes in trying to make our intentions clear -- and part of that is trying to make our written words "sound" more like actual speech. So we take liberties, throwing in ellipses and Italics and smilies in an effort to create a more natural flow with our words than legitimate punctuation would render.

nightcats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Bonnie1965

1)
I don't feel I'm too much a grammar/spelling nazi though. I don't speak/write as well on forums as I do in real life. People can either accept me or not
Im sorry
i didnt mean to be derogatory to anyone,what I mean was people who have a good
knowledge of English and still criticize,I didnt mean anyone who is still learning or has difficulty
comprehending English.Some people would say I have learning in-abilities,Yes I have,it take s
me along time to put my thoughts into words...but I manage.Would people call me disabled -yes
Do I ? No!
I accept people as they accecpt me as doe all of us.........I think?

kaylacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hate it when people go out of their way to spell everything wrong in their post because they think it looks cool.
I havn't seen that done here but it happened alot on one forum I used to go to.

Its different if they don't mean to... I'm not perfect either.

I don't like it when people don't use periods and don't use capital letters...its just hard to read. It doesn't bother me if someone doesn't use a bunch of commas because I don't either. I am guilty of using this...... instead.

I don't like it when people think they know everything and everyone else is wrong or their opinion doesn't matter. People who try way TOO hard to look smart and use a million big words that you have to look up just to understand what they are saying.
I mean... I'm not stupid but come on.

I am guilty of using alot of smilies, using LOL (I think I go to chat rooms too much
) and not having perfect puncuation or grammar but I don't try to do the last thing.

danimarie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mybabyphx View Post

One pet peeve of MINE (that I do personally) is whenever I write on here, I always find myself doing this ....... a lot! I will read over my posts and see that I do it all the time! Instead of using commas and periods were needed.... I use these. Look I just did it again! Why doesn't someone slap me?
I do it too!!!!!!!!! Sometimes there's a thought that isn't quite over, but you want people to just get the point and finish the thought for themselves.

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Grammar, spelling and punctuation. For some reason, I seem to focus on those things. On a forum I used to own, I had a gal who couldn't spell to save her soul. She actually titled a post "Super Bowel something or other". It took everything I had to not correct it! Perhaps I was just hyper-critical of her because we often didn't see eye-to-eye. She didn't know how to correctly use to, two and too, or there, they're and their, either. I was constantly gnashing my teeth when I read her posts!

I also don't like to use smilies in my posts. I don't have a problem reading posts that contain them, but I rarely put them into my own posts.

A lot of the previously mentioned pet peeves also irk me too. Bad luck threats, spam, etc.

Oh, I just thought of one! I love to read the cartoon "Zits" online. Unfortunately, a year or so ago, King Features decided that they would only feature the first week of the previous month's cartoon online. If you want to get all of the comics, you need to pay for a subscription. I realize that I would be paying if I purchased the newspaper, but for some reason, requiring me to purchase a subscription to read this cartoon online just cheeses me right off!

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't have a lot of peeves. I've read quite a few different boards, this one is one of the friendliest I've been on.

*I can't stand racist and overly religious forwards. The religious ones I can forgive, but there's just no reason for the racist ones to be sent on. They really do disgust me.

*Spam, but I think everyone hates that.

*People who jump down your throat and flame away when you disagree with their point of view. I really don't see that on this board, thank goodness.

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Multiple threads on the same topic/pic/joke. I try and search first to see if something I find and want to share has been posted before. One Christmas a series of pics of cats and a tree had about a dozen threads. I kept a tally.

I have dial up and am not fond of pages that let ads (esp. those with animation) load before the items I want to read.

I can let some misspellings go by because of typos. (They sometimes make for more interesting reading than the topic.
)

consumerkitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My biggest internet pet peeve is all the scamming and deception. I don't like the ads that say you can win something or get paid to fill out a survey. They just want to sell you something or get information from you but you get nothing in return.

What about the emails with the titles that make absolutely no sense? The sender thinks you will open them out of curiosity to find out what they mean. "Rigorous Absolute Century" is an example.

Emails that start with "RE:" because they hope you will think it is a reply to something you sent.

I agree with what a lot of other people have said. I don't read anything that isn't broken into paragraphs, is in all caps, or has no capital letters or no punctuation. It's just too hard to understand.

Text message language is a pet peeve for me if it is used too much. If someone uses it once or twice in a post it doesn't bother me. I'd rather someone write :censor::censor::censor: than spell it out

BTW, I like smilies.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mybabyphx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ConsumerKitty

BTW, I like smilies.
Me too!
Smilies is ALMOST the funnest part of being online! I try to use them whenever I can!
Simply because they are cute, show your emotions, oh and did I mention they are cute?!?!