Pet Naturals - Daily best (opinions)

ares

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey everyone,

Ares has been doing pretty well lately, no major problems - and that kind of the way I want to keep it (obviously.) I started looking into adding a few supplements to his raw in the morning, but found it to be really confusing on the amounts, and I didn't want to end up doing more harm then good. I found this treat called "Daily Best" by Pet Naturals at a local holistic pet store. One of the women who work there, who I've come to trust and taught me about raw, said they had great reviews. Here is the break down of the treats below:

Guaranteed Analysis:

Guaranteed Analysis Per 2 Soft Chews (Approximately 2.5g): Levels represent minimums unless otherwise stated: DL-Methionine 10 mg, Cystine 5 mg, Linoleic Acid 25 mg, Calcium (4.0%) 50 mg, Phosphorus (2.0%) 25 mg, Potassium (0.02%) 0.25 mg, Magnesium (0.12%) 1.5 mg, Iron (1200 ppm) 1.5 mg, Copper (24 ppm) 0.030 mg, Zinc (800 ppm) 1 mg, Iodine (32 ppm) 0.040 mg, Selenium (2.8 ppm) 0.0035 mg, Vitamin A 900 IU, Vitamin D3 50 IU, Vitamin E 5 IU, Menadione (A Source of Vitamin K Activity) 0.002 mg, Thiamine (Vitamin B1) 2 mg, Riboflavin (Vitamin B2) 2 mg, Pantothenic Acid 5 mg, Niacin 5 mg, Pyridoxine HCI (Vitamin B6) 2 mg, Folic Acid 0.002 mg, Biotin 0.002 mg, Vitamin B12 0.002 mg, Choline 5 mg, Taurine 200 mg, *Gamma-Linolenic Acid 10 mg, *Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C) 20 mg, *Inositol 2 mg, *Para-aminobenzoic Acid 2 mg, *Betaine HCl 10 mg, *Lecithin 5 mg, *Lipase (Pancreatin) 2.5 USP Units3 *Pepsin (Porcine) 4.5 USP Units1, *Papain (Papaya) 3 USP units1 *Bromelain (Pineapple) 0.9 GD Units2 *Protease (Pancreatin) 26.0 USP Units1 *Eicosapentaenoic Acid, EPA (from fish oil) 8.2 mg, *Docosahexaenoic Acid, DHA (from fish oil) 5.5 mg, *Not recognized as an essential nutrient by the AAFCO Cat Food Nutrient Profiles. 1One USP unit of protease activity will liberate 3.0 mg amino acids (from egg albumin)/min/mg of the enzyme under standard conditions. 2One GD unit of protease activity will liberate approximately 8.4 mg amino acids (from gelatin)/20 min/mg of enzyme at 45 C and pH 4.5. 3One USP unit of lipase activity will liberate 1mmol fatty acid from olive oil/min/mg of enzyme at 37 C and pH 9.0.

(note that it says 2 soft chews - he, being a kitten, is only getting one a day as the directions stated.)

Ingredients:

Chicken liver, brewers yeast, glycerin, taurine, calcium phosphate, soy lecithin, whey, black currant seed oil, canola oil, l-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate, calcium carbonate, safflower oil, fish oil, maltodextrin, sodium alginate, calcium sulfate, choline chloride, betaine hydrochloride, methionine, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, d-calcium pantothenate, cystine, niacinamide, bromelain (from pineapple), magnesium oxide, riboflavin, pyridoxine hydrochloride, thiamine mononitrate, para-aminobenzoic acid, inositol, vitamin B12 supplement, vitamin A acetate, propionic acid, natural mixed tocopherols, potassium chloride, pancreatin (source of lipase and protease activity), copper proteinate, sodium selenite, vitamin D3 supplement, biotin, calcium iodate, menadione sodium- bisulfite complex (source of vitamin K activity), folic acid, pepsin (from porcine), papain (from papaya).

The lady at the pet store said the pigs pancreas would be a good probiotic - but I'm not sure if there's enough of it to do anything.

How do these treats look? They seem pretty balanced to me, and if this helps keep him healthy I'll happily pay $5.99 for a 45 day supply of treats.

Thanks in advance everyone :)

katluver4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have only just started mine on raw myself so don't really know about this. I'm going to ask a mod to move this to the raw feeding forum to help you get an answer.

I know that the way I feed raw, ground with a premix or plain cut up meat with a different premix, mine have no need for additional supplements. Hope some one well experienced in raw feeding will respond.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I think the question needs to be asked first...exactly what are you feeding him?  when you say "raw" are you feeding him a complete and nutritionally balanced raw diet?  If so, then you probably don't need to give him anything else.  Are you giving him the 80/10/5/5 (meat/bones/liver/other secreting organs) ratio?

Egg yolks, sardines, fish oil?  Are you making up his meals per Dr. Pierson's recipe? 

Sorry, just need more information on that because if you are just giving Ares some meat, then I would say that these chews are NOT sufficient.  I have tried the Pet Naturals for hairballs (before feeding raw), and only one cat really cared for them, and didn't eat the required amount), so cannot way if they worked or not. 

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I agree, if you are feeding the ratio of 80/10/5/5, then you are feeding a nutritionally complete diet and don't need any other supplement.   You can supplement (treat) with egg yolks and sardines, for Omega 3/6 and choline.  You can also add Alnutrin to the ratio.  But not the kind of treats you posted.

If you want to feed a 'fun' treat, look for freeze dried treats, such as this one.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ares

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey! Sorry for not replying sooner, been busy. I have him eating 3 ounces of bravo balanced raw a day, plus 5 ounces of either Halo or hound and gatos. I just figured adding this treat would cover anything he may be missing. Would giving this to him once a day hurt him? If it won't adversely affect him, I kind of see it as a multivitamin, like the one I take every morning.

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
All of the foods that you are feeding are nutritionally complete (i.e. already have vitamins and minerals added). Therefore, he shouldn't need an additional multi-vitamin. If you want to feed this multi-vitamin, I would figure out the daily vitamins and minerals of everything he is fed to ensure that you are not over-supplementing. If you exceed the daily recommended allowances, you risk vitamin toxicity. I'm not sure whether that would be the case, but it's something I would research before adding.

If you are concerned about supplementing certain things like fish oil for omega 3s and probiotics for gut health, egg yolk lecithin for hairballs, etc., I would supplement with individual pure items as opposed to this all-in-one formula. I'm not a fan of some of the "extra" ingredients in the Pet Naturals like brewer's yeast, glycerin, soy lecithin, whey, any of the vegetable oils. Nothing plant based is going to provide much benefit and could in fact be inflammation triggers.

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In that you're just giving this as a treat, I would think that you're OK. Another treat to consider is giving a sardine occasionally. I get tinned sardines packed in water from the grocery store.