Pet Insurance?

slitty_kittay

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

Unfortunately, if he has an existing UTI I doubt you would be able to get a pet plan anywhere to cover any future expenses.
This highlights why it is so important to get insurance before something goes wrong! We struggle by on student grants but at least we know if Dax gets very sick she will still get all the treatment she needs

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by slitty_kittay

This highlights why it is so important to get insurance before something goes wrong! We struggle by on student grants but at least we know if Dax gets very sick she will still get all the treatment she needs
Indeed! Very good point. Kind of like life insurance - it's almost impossible to get after you die.

renny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I checked into insurance here and wasn't too impressed by the coverage. I've decided to create a high interest savings account for the kitties that will automatically put the money i would have paid in insurance into the account every month. That way i earn interest on it, and i know i'll be more then ready if anything comes up.

sammie5

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My vet suggested the same thing. She doesn't recommend pet health insurance. The other side of the issue, for her, is that the insurance companies often get to dictate the treatments. So you don't get to choose what course of treatment you want if kitty is sick, you have to follow their plan, or they won't cover it. And they have limits to what they will pay for specific conditions. That may just be particular to Ontario, but she has not had good experiences with the health care plans.

She also said that she does recommend the insurance for dogs, as in her experience, dogs have a lot more, expensive, things go wrong. She figured that, over the life time of my cats, I will pay less in actual health care than the insurance premiums would cost.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
As I said earlier, everyone has to do what they are comfortable with. Our vet highly recommended this insurance (we live in Ontario) and we've had no problem getting payment back from them for Mika's spay, vaccinations, microchipping and summer flea treatment.

If you have the discipline and can afford to put aside money each month, then I too think that is an excellent way to do it. Unfortunately, a lot of people find reasons why they can't put that money in this month because something else popped up and the money is needed elsewhere. Discipline is the key for this route.

I particularly liked the part of the insurance for the humans as well, i.e., if we had to board the cats due to family illness, cancel a trip due to kitty illness and also for major illnesses and accidents to our kitties, the unlimited amount payable.

I personally think it can be viewed similar to life insurance - some people believe in it, others don't. Same with mortgage insurance - some have it, some don't. My friend's husband died suddenly and they have an $800,000.00 home and she's very glad they had insurance because now the home is paid off and she doesn't have that financial burden of a high mortgage payment each month.

It is what it is - insurance - and insurance costs whether you ever need to use it or not.

I've been paying house insurance for over 30 years and have only had to make one small claim - would I drop my house insurance because of that? No way!

mrod1

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I aggree with you 100% Yosemite. I have also been shopping around for Kitty insurance. I do not have the discipline to keep putting money into an account, but I do pay my bills, and if I have an insurance bill to pay, I know it will be payed. I have yet to find the right type of insurance, but I will be getting it asap. Especially since Buddy is only 6 months old, and I have already had to make 2 trips to the vet. I think insurance is a must, unless you can afford an unexpected emergency, which most of us can't. Thanks for all your great advice it helped me too!!!

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I only have one of my cats insured, as she is the youngest (so cheaper to insure), and she has had that many vet trips, and that many tests to rule things out that I took it out in case the test results did show she had a medical issue. As it was, she is healthy, and so is my eldest. As I take on older cats, it is a lot harder to get insurance for them, there are only a few companies in the UK that will touch older cats. And none of the insurance companies I have looked at will cover dental work either, so I still had to pay for her dental. They don't cover vaccinations either, if I remember rightly.

madpiano

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
in the UK the pet insurances don't cover the vaccinations, flea treatments or worm treatments, but they are a lot cheaper. Some give discount if you can prove that you did the annual vaccinations. I am still debating it, as I am not too keen on the UK-Vaccination-plans (annaul for everything) and I will have to read over the small print again, to see, if I only do a US-plan, that I am still covered.

mugsy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
When I first adopted Little Pete and Shorty, I thought of getting pet insurance, but was a bit hesitant.. unfortunately, my being hesitant hit my wallet hard. After only a week of having him, Little Pete became very sick (ironically he became sick the day after a vet visit and a clean bill of health). We had to rush him to an animal hospital where he spent four nights and I spent $2,000. While his love to me is worth any amount of money, it would have been nice to have had the insurance!

hareting

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sammie5

My vet suggested the same thing. She doesn't recommend pet health insurance. The other side of the issue, for her, is that the insurance companies often get to dictate the treatments. So you don't get to choose what course of treatment you want if kitty is sick, you have to follow their plan, or they won't cover it. And they have limits to what they will pay for specific conditions. That may just be particular to Ontario, but she has not had good experiences with the health care plans.

She also said that she does recommend the insurance for dogs, as in her experience, dogs have a lot more, expensive, things go wrong. She figured that, over the life time of my cats, I will pay less in actual health care than the insurance premiums would cost.
which company do you use? i'm from ontario too and i'm considering buying insurance.

do you know if all the companies ditate the treatmetns too? or only 1 or 2 certain company does that?