Pet Insurance

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What are your thoughts in regard to Pet Insurance? If you would be kind enough to answer the survey below- it would be appreciated.

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have it- pet's best ...It's worth it for me as someone who doesn't work the entire year and doesn't have a consistant income.

capt_jordi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have started looking into it. Mostly because the past 2 times I have had to take them it has drained my bank account and it was for smaller stuff! So I am definitely looking into something! We had to take stray kitty into the emergency vet the other night (we ended up turning her over to them. long story) but the emergency fee alone was $160... Thats a pretty big hit to our budget...

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I, too, have been checking into it, but I just don't know. It always sounds good, but then I've heard stories where not much is actually covered. I'll be interested in what others have to say on this subject.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is missing one choice on the poll, for us who have it and think it is worth it. I have Pets Best, and it has been a life saver for me. I pay $44 for my three cats combined, and have used it WELL. All my kitties have used, and Bugsy has used it both for vets and ER.
They are excellent payers, customer service is awesome and I never had a problem with them. The last one to use was Hope with her IBD problem - it included many tests and two different vets; again, not a problem - the check was in my mailbox within a week.
I was unemployed for over a year, and if it was not for having insurance I would be lost... That is one payment I never skipped, and will never skip.

ruthyb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would love to have it but cannot afford it, if my cats need the vet though they go and no matter what we always find the money. x

northernglow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was considering getting one when I got my first cat, but instead decided to keep 'an emergency fund' where I put money if I happen to have some extra. The insurances rule out so much things that I thought it's more secure to just save the money and use when needed. Also with four cats, it would be very expensive (approx. $130 per cat/per year). My 'fund' did get a major cut last spring when Casper got sick, had an operation and was put to sleep, but it reminded me that it's very good to have somekind of plan in case of emergency so I didn't need to stress about not having the money to help him the best possible way.

snickerdoodle

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I looked into many when Boo was alive, and the cost was so outrageous and what was covered was ridiculous, it was so few things that the cost outweighed the benefits for me. If I could afford it I'd buy two or three different types to cover different things, but if I could afford that I probably wouldn't need insurance ...