Pet Insurance?

bastetservant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have found that how a procedure is "coded" for my own health insurance can mean a 10 times difference in cost, for the exact same thing. With high deductable insurance, I can end up paying 10 times as much out of pocket. So I've learned to pay attention to the coding.

I have Pets Best insurance. I haven't had to use it, though. It doesn't pay for dental, at all. But I've only had one cat need one dental in the last 20 years. I pay about $55 a month (automatic withdrawal from checking account) for my 5 cats. There is a choice of different plans, with different deductables and limits. I did research various companies before I chose this one,

Robin

just mike

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MissMyra

Hello all,
I used to tell everyone with a pet to get pet insurance because I had such a great experience with mine, VPI (Veterinary Pet Insurance). However, in the last couple of years, they have become much more restrictive and beaurocratic and EXPENSIVE. Especially for older cats; insurance is not going to save you if you get a bill for thousands of dollars. There are limitations, clauses, and addenda that they use to avoid paying. I guess it was good while it lasted but the heyday of great pet insurance may be over. Of course this is just one company, but I find that with insurance companies in general, they follow trends.
Also, be careful about CANCER - you may assume it's covered but they actually have a special RIDER you might buy to have it covered.
In summary: pet insurance used to be worth it, nowadays not so much.
--MissMyra
Obviously this site is fishing for email addresses but the 10 points it brings up before buying insurance are valid. I don't have pet health insurance. Everyone's situation is different and some may want to look into purchasing it.

http://www.petsbest.com/tenthingsyoushouldknow.aspx

aleicia

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
When we got our first cat, years ago, I opened an ING account, named it after her and set up an automatic payment for every two weeks. So every two weeks a specific amount of money would come out of our account, when we got paid, and I didn't even miss it. It adds up overtime with interest, I did the same thing when we got our second kitten, it's our own insurance. It has helped with vaccinations, annual visits and even emergency treatments. I am not anti pet insurance, I have a couple of friends who has pet insurance for their cats and dogs and I haven't heard too much complaining, except for about the wait time to get reimbursed, but I'm sure every company is different, you just have to find the right one. Here's an article on cat health insurance, the negatives and benefits.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by bastetservant

I have found that how a procedure is "coded" for my own health insurance can mean a 10 times difference in cost, for the exact same thing. With high deductable insurance, I can end up paying 10 times as much out of pocket. So I've learned to pay attention to the coding.

I have Pets Best insurance. I haven't had to use it, though. It doesn't pay for dental, at all. But I've only had one cat need one dental in the last 20 years. I pay about $55 a month (automatic withdrawal from checking account) for my 5 cats. There is a choice of different plans, with different deductables and limits. I did research various companies before I chose this one,

Robin
I have PetsBest too... they have been nothing but wonderful so far - in every aspect. I have used it a LOT, especially with Bugsy - never, EVER had a problem with them. Pay like clockwork, by direct deposit, so I don't even have to cash a check. They pay for everything - tests, consults, prescriptions, emergencies... Not dental. I have used for Lucky and Hope too. Their Customer Service is outstanding... I highly recommend them - without it I am sure I would be bankrupt with Bugsy's vet bills - It gives me huge peace of mind to know they will always be taken care of, and I will not be facing a position to have to euthanize one of them for lack of funds. I see plenty of that happening and I don't want ever to be in that situation.

Originally Posted by NutroMike

Obviously this site is fishing for email addresses but the 10 points it brings up before buying insurance are valid. I don't have pet health insurance. Everyone's situation is different and some may want to look into purchasing it.

http://www.petsbest.com/tenthingsyoushouldknow.aspx
Why do you say this site is obviously fishing for emails? I have Petsbest and the only emails I EVER receive from them is letting me know when they received my claims (which I submit online) and when the claims have been processed. I have never received a junk email from them - never - not a single one

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I do not have pet insurance but am seriously considering getting it. I did have it on my horse when I owned him because anytime a horse gets sick, it is nothing less than deep pocket costs. It is shocking how fast proper medical care costs can skyrocket when a pet is sick. My dog, Wilbur, in the last four years has had multiple health troubles and serious issues and this has cost me thousands. Now, I have a cat that seems to be going down that path of "ill" health issues. And the emergencies are just astronomical. I am going to look into Best Pet's insurance packages since a couple of you seem to recommend them.

bastetservant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The reports you give, Carolina, give me a lot of confidence in our pet insurance company, and peace of mind. I never had pet insurance before the last 1.5 years. With savings, and credit cards, I've always managed to give my cats all the healthcare they deserve. But with 5 cats for nearly a year now, and soon a 6th, I am more comfortable having the insurance. And I'm very glad to know that Best Pets has done so well by you and Bugsy, et. al. So thanks for sharing that information.

Saving on a regular basis in an interest bearing account is a good way to go as an alternative. However, I think at least $75 per cat (or dog) per month would need to be saved to be prepared for a serious illnesses. When you have multiple pets, that can add up to an awful lot each month.

Robin

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

The reports you give, Carolina, give me a lot of confidence in our per insurance company, and peace of mind. I never had pet insurance before the last 1.5 years. With savings, and credit cards, I've always managed to give my cats all the healthcare they deserve. But with 5 cats for nearly a year now, and soon a 6th, I am more comfortable having the insurance. And I'm very glad to know that Best Pets has done so well by you and Bugsy, et. al. So thanks for sharing that information.

Saving on a regular basis in an interest bearing account is a good way to go as an alternative. However, I think at least $75 per cat (or dog) per month would need to be saved to be prepared for a serious illnesses. When you have multiple pets, that can add up to an awful lot each month.

Robin
Robin, I can truly say, without them I don't know if I could kept Bugsy alive.... Because of them my baby is alive and well... and for that I will be forever grateful.

We have been through so, SO much since Bugsy arrived home... World-record diarrhea
, UTIs, URIs, emergency runs due to fevers of unknown causes.... more diarrheas that took him to the ER... Bugsy has had a number, many many issues. When I was unemployed this was one payment I paid religiously. And God did it save me!
A lot of people say bad things about insurance companies... I see more people who don't have pet insurance talking bad things about it actually...
I don't know about the other companies, I truly don't - but about PetsBest I do; not about from what I read, but from true, God honest experience.
I am glad you got them - you are on great hands.

bastetservant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It would be nice if I got the name of the company right, ONCE!!!

What you say about Bugsy gives me chills. Thank GOODNESS you had the insurance.

Robin

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

It would be nice if I got the name of the company right, ONCE!!!

What you say about Bugsy gives me chills. Thank GOODNESS you had the insurance.

Robin
You funny

Yep, for sure - got it as soon as I adopted each of them. Hard as it is with insurance, without it would just not happen...
But knock on wood - he is doing amazing now! Whew!!!!!
That was a long long stretch!