Pet Insurance.. do you have?

bluerexbear

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have considered pet insurance many times, but I definitely see both sides of the coin.

First of all, my dh and I are very blessed financially and I give all glory to God for that. We agreed a long time ago that our animals will receive the best care we can provide regardless of cost. When his older dog had a blockage, our vet bills were up in the multiple thousands of dollars, but we didn't care. It didn't change our decision to treat him - even though he was 16 years old at the time.

That said, money is still not endless. I could deal with maybe two animals needing attention at one time. I can safely handle even a 10K vet bill over a course of treatment. However, I have 7 pets and 2 human children. If all 7 were to be hit with something at the same time... well... I have to think back to the situation with Bear - 3 cats, 2 parasites, 1K, and almost losing Blue. It was rough. Since then I have treated Rosco (dog - age 5 - chronic allergies) for Staph twice, purchased his allergy shots, allergy meds, and antibiotics monthly. Blue (14) has been diagnosed with skin cancer and had one removed, another biopsied, his teeth removed, and he is on monthly methimazole for his HT. This year alone, the animals have cost in excess of 5K.

That brings me to my issue with insurance, thought:

Blue has HT and a history of cancer. He is uninsurable and can only be offered "accidental" coverage through PetsBest. His liklihood of having an accident in the house at the age of 14 is pretty low. We don't frequently ride in the car, he never goes outside at all, and, well, he's pretty calm and laid back. Could it happen? Sure. Is it likely? No.

Rosco has allergies which is pre-existing and well documented. He has no other health issues. Unfortunately, with allergies as the underlying - they will not pay for treatment of staph, monthly meds, or allergy shots. Those are the ones hitting the hardest financially right now.

The other animals could be insured for less than 30 cents a day per cat. But, then again, I can afford up to a pretty high amount in the case of an emergency and they are young and healthy.

So...Blah!
The place where I could really use the help is not covered by insurance. It really would be just a "what if" gamble.
And the only time I would think I needed insurance for the younger 5 cats would be in a situation where they all got sick at once...but that wouldn't happen because 2 of them don't live with the other 4 in the house.