Pet Armor Plus

overwhelmed2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have been using Pet Armor on my cats and dogs for the last year. Before doing so I consulted a good friend of mine who is a vet specifically dealing with felines. She informed me that it was equally safe to use as other similar products and the active ingredients, as mentioned in threads before this, are the exact same ingredients as those found in Front Line. 

I was searching through this forum for other answers and stumbled upon this thread. I called my friend to ask about the above comments about adverse reactions thinking that possibly there was new information since she had initially told me it was safe. You should all know that she laughed when I questioned her about it. She stated, without any hesitation, that it is the ACTIVE ingredients that cause a reaction and not the inactive ones. Cats who respond poorly to this medication will indeed exhibit the same reaction from Front Line. She also suggested that, given the described symptoms, the issue more than likely had to deal with the amount of medication given and not the medication itself. She said this is the problem with all flea medications. Every time you put any product on a cats sensitive skin you run this risk.

I asked her if in her practice she recommended this product and she told me no. She told me that there is a significant mark up on products that the vet sell you like Front Line and that telling people they work the same takes money out of her clinic. 
Your vet friend is wrong. I have many years of experience in the pharmaceutical industry and either animal or human can equally have a reaction to an inactive ingredient as to a passive ingredient - just like some people can be allergic to something while others are not. Also, the inactive ingredient can affect how the active ingredient works - for example if you mix water with bleach you will get dilute bleach, but if you mix a little soap with bleach it will strengthen it's cleaning power. It is a HUGE myth that generics are equivalent to name brands as the exact formula is never the same it is just the active ingredient which is the same. The purpose of generics is for both generic companies to make money and for pharmacists/stores to earn greater margins on products sold. That's not to say that some generics are not perfectly safe and effective but they are not EXACTLY the same as the name brand and someone could easily react to a generic where they may not have reacted to the name brand.

overwhelmed2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sorry I wanted to edit my last post but didn't know how .... It should have read "can equally have a reaction to an inactive ingredient as to an active (not passive) ingredient". - sorry for the confusion but I'm sure you get what I mean.

zack n kelly

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I applied Petarmor Plus for cats from Walmart on both of my cats at the end of June. They did fine and managed not to lick the area. Well, my husband and I applied the last dose to our long haired cat two days ago about six weeks from last application and within seconds he took of running around the house like he was running from something and he had a wild look and acted confused. He was running into things and was having body spasms and was sped up. My husband googled about it and we rushed to wash it off him. After that he immediately calmed down and his heart rate went down too. Crazy! I almost killed our cat! He had done fine with the first dose from the same box a month earlier. We didn't half ass apply it either. We followed directions and made sure to apply to skin not fur and where they could not lick. There was no difference in this application and the first one, except our short hair cat didn't receive a dose this time. So I take offense to someone saying it must be applicator error. I will never use this stuff again.

mr buck

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
All I can say here is that Walmart gets most of their junk from China!  They poison our pets with their food and now with flea and tick medicine...  How long does it take for people to realize Walmart is the wrong place to shop. I personally don't put anything on Buck unless he is really bad then I go to the feed store for his meds.  Hope everyone's pets are ok.

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This is a quote from the Ask A Vet web site but from a long time ago. but it may still be relevant.

"One such product, PetArmor Plus has just been recalled.
The product packaging looks extremely similar to Frontline. And, the active ingredients are exactly the same.

Is PetAmor the same as Frontline?

Even though the active ingredients – fipronil and methoprine are the same, the inactive ingredients (which make up 90% of the product) are not.  The makers of PetArmor, Cipla, located in India, do not reveal what the inactive ingredients are.  Some vets feel that the inactive ingredients in frontline that help to spread the product over the skin of the animal work much better than the generic brands and leave less “grease” on the animal’s skin.

It's likely your cat is sensitive to the solution that contains the flea killing drugs and not the drugs themselves. 

Personally I prefer Advantage and Advantage II (not Advantage Multi for cats) and think it is far safer and does a better job and causes fewer sensitivities.  I have been using it for more than 12 years with zero bad reactions.

maggieov

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My sister tried this on her cats.  Four of them nearly died--near-fatal vomiting, diarrhea, dehydration, possible liver damage and one of them had skin problems so bad it bled.

NO CONTROLS OVER INGREDIENTS.

Don't risk your pets' lives!!!!!!!!!!!!!

darla hill

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have 4 foster kittens how much pet armor from splitting would they get appx. 7-8wks. old,

just a suggestion