Pesticides

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
What are you trying to get rid of?

Generally, no pesticide is safe for cats. There are the spot flea treatments but those are about it. Anything environmental could harm your cat (not to mention your family). There really aren't great studies out there on pesticides impact on our pets so it's generally better to avoid them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry, I should have been more clear. Not to use ON cats, but to get rid of an infestation, and applied by a professional. And more than likely not in the house, just the crawl space (my option). I don't even use the flea treatments on my cats. Nor do I clean my house with chemicals. But I have no other way to get rid of the infestation than an insecticide. One concern is having the bugs enter the house after the treatment and the cats getting after it. The inspector I talked to claimed it would not harm cats, but I am not a fan of anything chemical anywhere around my cats, and not sure I trust someone trying to sell me something.

The pesticide in question is Tandem and Niban.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Ahhhh.....

If the spray you are talking about is just going in the crawl space I would just make sure the cats don't have access to the crawl space. You could be extra cautious and board the cats for the day during application to make sure there aren't any fumes. But if I remember right, that treatment is a contact type that without direct contact it shouldn't cause issue.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I have a contract with Orkin and they use Permethrin outside. I never let them spray in the house no matter what and my cats have never been affected. When they come, I remove all feral cat water dishes and food if it is uneaten and replace a few hours after they leave. The ferals don't want to be around when someone is circling the perimeter of the house so don't return until it is dry. Even with those cats, I have never had a problem and it dries remarkably quickly.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I’d have to ask DH which one our company uses; but I discussed it with the pest control company to make sure its ok. They said its a common concern. What they use is safe once dry. Generally we do outside spray only but if something is being done in our crawl space I shut the heat and ac off for a bit. We also have bait stations that the pests are supposed to go towards instead of the house. Some pests you just have to go with the chemicals and not risk it!

minish

minish first..
Alpha Cat
Purraise
For roaches, we have the apartment sprayed with something that settles and for a year. if they pass, they die a day later. I don't know it's name but it's commonly used and the companies say it doesn't harm people or pets.
I don't take this for granted, I leave the house with minish for a few hours until the droplets dry out so we don't breathe it. I don't let floors and other places where minish walks, sits, lies or reaches for toys. That leaves the walls a little above the ground, behind cupboards, the fridge, under the bed, much of the bathroom and some crannies, since these are roach hangouts, it works. If minish's toys end up in there, I throw them out. I keep watch for roach bodies so they don't end up in her mouth or paws. So far (6 years) no problems occurred.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the replies everyone. I know all of the companies say their products are safe around pets, but I don't completely trust someone is who trying to sell me something. This company seems awfully eager for me to sign an annual contract, he has sent me numerous emails already. The chemicals would not be on any surface where the cats walk because I choose not to have it sprayed in the house. It would be in the crawl space, around the house, and possibly in the garage. My concern is if the treated roaches make it inside the house and the cats get to it. If they get the chemical on their fur or in their mouth, or heaven forbit eat it, will it harm them. It's like nobody seems to have a definitive answer, just the exterminator companies and chemical manufacturers. I've seen that with other things - oh this is safe! Then when you dig deeper, no it's not. I appreciate hearing other people's experiences.
would help to know what type of insects you wanna kill dawn dish soap mixed with water in a sprayer will kill most insects
Roaches.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a contract with Orkin and they use Permethrin outside. I never let them spray in the house no matter what and my cats have never been affected. When they come, I remove all feral cat water dishes and food if it is uneaten and replace a few hours after they leave. The ferals don't want to be around when someone is circling the perimeter of the house so don't return until it is dry. Even with those cats, I have never had a problem and it dries remarkably quickly.
Just researched Permethrin and found this:

How does permethrin work?
Permethrin can affect insects if they eat it or touch it. Permethrin affects the nervous system in insects, causing muscle spasms, paralysis and death. Permethrin is more toxic to insects than it is to people and dogs. This is because insects can't break it down as quickly as people and dogs. Cats are more sensitive to permethrin than dogs or people because it takes their bodies a long time to break it down.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just researched Permethrin and found this:

How does permethrin work?
Permethrin can affect insects if they eat it or touch it. Permethrin affects the nervous system in insects, causing muscle spasms, paralysis and death. Permethrin is more toxic to insects than it is to people and dogs. This is because insects can't break it down as quickly as people and dogs. Cats are more sensitive to permethrin than dogs or people because it takes their bodies a long time to break it down.
Also this:
https://www.petcarerx.com/article/how-to-avoid-insecticide-poisoning-in-dogs-and-cats/1652
Dangerous Ingredients in Insecticides
Several ingredients can cause severe reactions and even long-term cognitive issues. When you are buying insecticides, look at the label and avoid buying the most dangerous ingredients listed below:

• Amitraz
  • Acephate
  • Carbofuran
  • Chlorpyrifos
  • Diazinon
  • Disulfoton
  • Fenoxycarb
  • Fonofos
  • Malathion
  • Methomyl
  • Parathion
  • Permethrin (don’t use around cats)
  • Propozur
  • Terbufos
  • Tetrachlorvinphos (TCVP)

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the replies everyone. I know all of the companies say their products are safe around pets, but I don't completely trust someone is who trying to sell me something. This company seems awfully eager for me to sign an annual contract, he has sent me numerous emails already. The chemicals would not be on any surface where the cats walk because I choose not to have it sprayed in the house. It would be in the crawl space, around the house, and possibly in the garage. My concern is if the treated roaches make it inside the house and the cats get to it. If they get the chemical on their fur or in their mouth, or heaven forbit eat it, will it harm them. It's like nobody seems to have a definitive answer, just the exterminator companies and chemical manufacturers. I've seen that with other things - oh this is safe! Then when you dig deeper, no it's not. I appreciate hearing other people's experiences.

Roaches.
:bawling2:i am dealing with sewer roaches that crawl out of the bathroom drains every summer i have been using peppermint oil and vinegar to dump into the drains its working to keep em out but not sure it would be good using that in your crawl space might cause them to invade your house in mass amounts then trying to escape.sorry not much help

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:bawling2:i am dealing with sewer roaches that crawl out of the bathroom drains every summer i have been using peppermint oil and vinegar to dump into the drains its working to keep em out but not sure it would be good using that in your crawl space might cause them to invade your house in mass amounts then trying to escape.sorry not much help
Oh yeah, I wouldn't want massive amounts of them in the house for sure! Plus I don't really want to go in the crawl space to spray them with it :cringe:
I don't like to kill things. I wish I could find a piep piper of roaches that would lead them way off into the woods somewhere....

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Orkin pesticide solutions contain about 1% of the chemical. They also use imidacloprid and I remember that the technician explained to me that the amount he was spraying around my house amounted to about one tube worth. It is always good to be cautious though. If the cat got a roach that had been in contact with whatever pesticide is used, I bet that the amount on that specific roach would be so infinitesimal that it would never hurt the cat. It is one of those things which "could" happen but which is almost statistically impossible.