Persuading cats to go outside

derekthecat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Does anyone have any advice on getting cats to be outdoor cats?

My kittens (brother and sister) will be 1 year old next week. They don't really like to go outside, and are still using the litter tray.

There are a lot of other big scary cats in our neighbourhood and mine are very small so they are afraid to go out.They're full of energy and love to play but won't go further than the back step. They come racing back in if they see another cat!

I would prefer to have outdoor cats because I think it's good for them to get exercise in the garden, chasing the wildlife and playing together. Also, I'd like them to stop using the litter tray!

I would be grateful if anyone can give me any pointers- 

Many thanks.

losna

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
They are adorable. 

Is there any reason to force them out? I think it is safer for cats to be indoor cats, and not go outside.

sunoersea

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The outdoors can pose many dangers to cats from predators to infections. Also, those large scary cats in the neighborhood could be carrying diseases. In my opinion, the outside carries too much risk for cats to go unsupervised. A catio is an excellent compromise if you feel that they must go out. This will keep them safe from predators (coyotes, raccoons, ect.) and limit the chance of infection from cat fights and unfamiliar cat contact, which can spread illness or disease; this alternative also prevents them from getting lost, hit by cars, stolen ("adopted"), and (if either isn't spayed or neutered, which I assume they are since they're of age) eliminates the chance of unwanted pregnancies for your girl or any other Queen in the neighborhood. 

I am unsure of why you would want them to stop using the litter tray. Using the litter box is great behavior for the cats. It most certainly should not be prevented. Cleaning, unfortunately, is part of the bargain. We cat lovers get a great companion and they get a clean toilet each day. Can't fault them for wanting that! Plus, cat scat can be very detrimental to soil and carry health risks, such as roundworm which is transferable to humans. So if you have a vegetable garden, it can be problematic. From childhood experience, it does not do the flowers any justice either! 

If you don't mind my asking, why would you prefer them outside? The catio really is an excellent method to have the cats engage with the outdoors, experience fresh air, and be safe whilst doing so!

Best,

Beth

lovefive

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am always pleased to see members on here that prefer to keep their cat (s) indoors. I have no choice with Martha because I live in a top floor flat with No outdoor access. I always felt cruel at leaving her indoors but I know deep down she is safer in than out. She has plenty of toys and 3 big windows to look out of plus company and playtime with me. There are lots of dangers for Martha outside, ok im in the Uk so we dont have any wild animals well not four legged ones anyway [emoji]128514[/emoji] but she could get lost or stolen even though shes been chipped, she get attacked by another animal or a human or she may get run down. You can actually drive away in the uk if you hit a cat you don't have to stop like you do with a dog which is unfair. So anyway as I said I always feel assured knowing that a lot of folk keep their moggies indoors too.

Last edited:

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think if your cats are scared you should listen to them. They feel safe with you and in their home, which is a great thing.

Last edited:

haleyds

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have had outdoors cats all throughout growing up because it was something my parents thought was right, and it never ended well. I don't think we ever had any of those cats over three years because they either died from predators, other cats, or illness because they would get sick and go off where we couldn't find them. These were fully vetted cats too, but in the outdoors it is inevitable that they will get sick or injured. I know some people on here successfully have outdoor cats, but even then they live in areas without many other cats, and they usually have them outside purely because they can't get them adjusted to indoors living.

Now that I have my own cat she is absolutely not allowed outside, she is perfectly happy indoors and her litterbox is nothing more than a 2 minute daily duty. If these cats had been raised feral then it might be a different story, but a domestic cat has no place in the outdoors without supervision