Personality change - aggression

doraaq

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all,

I took in a very sweet pregnant kitten from the street earlier this year. She had kittens in April and in June I had her spayed. In the last month or so she has become extremely aggressive, unfriendly and mental - a total contrast to when I found her. She used to be the sweetest of all my cats, just wanted to sleep on my lap all the time. Now she hisses/swats/growls/chases any cat that comes near her, including her kittens (she doesn't actually hurt them) and she runs away from me, only occasionally lets me stroke her and often scratches me. The other strange thing is that she was a long haired kitten and now she has short hair! I've never seen a change like this in a cat. As far as I know, the only traumatic things that have happened to her are the spaying (she hated the vet and was very angry at being locked in after) and also she got a neck abscess, probably from a bite, which was treated and healed well. If she didn't have such unique markings I'd think she was a different cat. She doesn't seem sick and eats well. She used to stay indoors all the time but now she won't come inside, even to sleep. Has anybody else come across this?

Thanks for reading. 

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Her instincts might be telling her it's time for her kittens to become independent. Are they still trying to nurse? Does she have places (like a high cat tree) she can retreat to when their roughhousing gets to be too much for her?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

doraaq

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Her instincts might be telling her it's time for her kittens to become independent. Are they still trying to nurse? Does she have places (like a high cat tree) she can retreat to when their roughhousing gets to be too much for her?
Hi jcat - thanks for your reply. She has lots of places to retreat to - but the kittens are fairly independent now and don't harass her or try to nurse. She's aggressive with all my other cats too, which is new, and with the neighbourhood cats as well, and also me! 

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Hi jcat - thanks for your reply. She has lots of places to retreat to - but the kittens are fairly independent now and don't harass her or try to nurse. She's aggressive with all my other cats too, which is new, and with the neighbourhood cats as well, and also me! 
Are the kittens spayed and neutered?