Persisting ear problems?

Idk a good username

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a cat who has been having ear issues for a while now. I have taken her to the vet twice for it. The first time they said it was earmites and gave her some medicine for that (not sure what it was since I no longer have it), and the second time they gave her Animax ear ointment without really explaining much. Both medicines seemed to not do anything besides make her ears itch even more when I put it in.

I have tried Hartz earmite medicine, but it only seemed to make her scratch like the vets medicine did. There seems to be buildup and a small bluish colored cyst? None of the other cats are showing synptoms of earmites though, so I'm not sure if it could still be earmites. I am going to try to schedule a vet appointment monday with a diffrent vet, but I'm not sure if it will be like the last two trips and not really help. Has anyone else had this issue?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Idk a good username

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Idk a good username Idk a good username try (oridermyl). Works like a magic
Is this something I would have to get from the vet? The only place I see that you can order from is a site called Homelabvet, and I don't know how reliable their shipping would be since I have never ordered from there.

Would this medicine also help with buildup in the back of the ear/ear canal, or just the outer ear?

NabilBen

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It treats all ear problems. Here in Morocco we buy it from the vet or some reliable pet shop

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
If you are seeing a cyst in the ear, or even what you think might be one, schedule the appointment with the vet. You have been to the vet twice and tried an OTC preparation. You might see if another veterinary clinic could see you. I am not sure if changing vets might help, but often just seeing another vet at the same practice does not help as they come to the same conclusion as their counterpart.

Idk a good username

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It treats all ear problems. Here in Morocco we buy it from the vet or some reliable pet shop
If you are seeing a cyst in the ear, or even what you think might be one, schedule the appointment with the vet. You have been to the vet twice and tried an OTC preparation. You might see if another veterinary clinic could see you. I am not sure if changing vets might help, but often just seeing another vet at the same practice does not help as they come to the same conclusion as their counterpart.
I schedueled an appointment for tomorrow. I can post an update about whatever they tell me.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Please let us know. If the cyst ends up being nothing, or just something you thought you saw, so much the better to be safe.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ask the vet to culture the ear wax and/or do a deep clean of her ears under light sedation. (It's not pleasant.) You might find that she has a yeast infection in her ears. BNT ear ointment works great for that.

Idk a good username

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Please let us know. If the cyst ends up being nothing, or just something you thought you saw, so much the better to be safe.
Ask the vet to culture the ear wax and/or do a deep clean of her ears under light sedation. (It's not pleasant.) You might find that she has a yeast infection in her ears. BNT ear ointment works great for that.
She had a double infection (yeast and bacteria). I got Panalog Entederm to put in her ears twice a day for 2 weeks. Hopefully this finally clears it up
Thanks for the help everyone :)

Idk a good username

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh, and the vet thinks the cyst were also a reaction to the infection, sorry for not including that in the first reply

Idk a good username

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Her ears are already starting to look significantly better :) The ear that was not as bad is already pretty much completely cleared. The other still has a bit to go, but there is significant improvement.
Upon clearing some of the infection away though, I noticed a few more cyst, but I'm hoping they are still just a side effect of the infection. If they don't begin to clear soon or begin to get worse though, I will give the vet a call.