Persistent wound on my cat's belly

Potris

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The 1 of my 2 cats living outside in the wild , has a wound on her belly (photo attached) , which insist more than 4 months , although treated with antibiotics for 15 days . It’s impossible to catch her , she is really wild . So there is no any possibility to go to a doctor . Today Jan 2/21 the wound continues to be like in the attached picture shot on Dec.2/20

][/url]

Last edited by a moderator:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It looks like a burst abscess and they take a LONG time to heal. If she has already been on antibiotics, that is good. There is really nothing the vet or you can do, especially this much later, so it will just be a long process. The wound itself looks clean, that is good, no signs of infection, so keep monitoring it and be prepared to give another round of antibiotics if it starts oozing white/green/yellow pus. It's not unusual for them to lose the hair around a wound like that, I think it was such a nasty wound it will take a LONG time to heal, 6 months to a year, especially for the hair to grow back. as long as she is eating, drinking, and not hiding, all is well. when you start to see the hair growing back that is the sign she is healing......

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Potris

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It looks like a burst abscess and they take a LONG time to heal. If she has already been on antibiotics, that is good. There is really nothing the vet or you can do, especially this much later, so it will just be a long process. The wound itself looks clean, that is good, no signs of infection, so keep monitoring it and be prepared to give another round of antibiotics if it starts oozing white/green/yellow pus. It's not unusual for them to lose the hair around a wound like that, I think it was such a nasty wound it will take a LONG time to heal, 6 months to a year, especially for the hair to grow back. as long as she is eating, drinking, and not hiding, all is well. when you start to see the hair growing back that is the sign she is healing......
Thank you , your advices are very helpful . I was ready to give her more antibiotics . Now I feel more safe to do it . By the way she is absolutely insane . A few years ago after she took birth of 3 babies , she abandoned them . I’m sure they were eaten by jackals , or badgers . After that had an genital removal . Every summer she disappears for 1-2 months and come back with several wounds (photos attached from August18') .We feed her and her mother , a little once a day . The mother is the most clever and sweet cat – by far - I’ve ever seen . I assume they hunt during the night to cover their needs .

Attachments

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't give her more antibiotics unless the wound looks infected. Or the best yet is to call your vet, send them that picture, and ask them what they recommend. Those other wounds appear to be from an animal attack, especially the tail one, she was running away. I'm glad she is spayed, maybe she will settle down eventually. Maybe you could try putting dry food out during the day to keep them closer to home, they wouldn't need to hunt for hunger, just for pleasure. It's not unusual for first-time moms to abandon their litters, they just don't know what is going on. some cats just don't have a maternal instinct. Or the kittens could have had a genetic problem, or a predator came around and scared her off.

Potris

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I wouldn't give her more antibiotics unless the wound looks infected. Or the best yet is to call your vet, send them that picture, and ask them what they recommend. Those other wounds appear to be from an animal attack, especially the tail one, she was running away. I'm glad she is spayed, maybe she will settle down eventually. Maybe you could try putting dry food out during the day to keep them closer to home, they wouldn't need to hunt for hunger, just for pleasure. It's not unusual for first-time moms to abandon their litters, they just don't know what is going on. some cats just don't have a maternal instinct. Or the kittens could have had a genetic problem, or a predator came around and scared her off.
For now , I assume no more antibiotics . Got the photos yday . OK ?
IMG_20210103_141321.jpg
IMG_20210103_141323.jpg

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The wound looks clean. That white area is slough, where tissue has died and is sloughing off. Granulation tissue is next and is red and bumpy, granular in appearance, and is trying to grow and cover the wound. It is the next step in healing. With a wound this size, it takes many months for it to completely heal. Since it is open, it will be susceptible to bacteria and infection so keep an eye out for it. If at all possible, if you can stroke her, you could dab on a little cat wound spray saturating a cloth, or a human antibiotic salve (with NO pain killers in it). If not, nature will have to take it's course. Maybe put some extra vitamins for cats on her food to speed up the healing process.

Potris

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The wound looks clean. That white area is slough, where tissue has died and is sloughing off. Granulation tissue is next and is red and bumpy, granular in appearance, and is trying to grow and cover the wound. It is the next step in healing. With a wound this size, it takes many months for it to completely heal. Since it is open, it will be susceptible to bacteria and infection so keep an eye out for it. If at all possible, if you can stroke her, you could dab on a little cat wound spray saturating a cloth, or a human antibiotic salve (with NO pain killers in it). If not, nature will have to take it's course. Maybe put some extra vitamins for cats on her food to speed up the healing process.
Thank you again . I'll send you a photo when healed .

Potris

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have no idea if you’ll see this note . I gave her another antibiotic , half a pill twice a day , for 10 days . The trade mark is Therios 75mg . You can see the today condition . The wound has decreased to around 30% , but still comes out liquid . How I may treat her , from now on ? Thank you .

Attachments

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Looks MUCH better, is healing. I would just maybe spray on or apply some wound spray with a rag. It takes a LONG time for wounds like this to heal. As long as there is ANY decrease in size it is healing. Looks great!