Persistent watering eye? Should I worry?

jessicaj62

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
For the past 4 days now, my cat's eye has been watering pretty bad. It's just a clear liquid, with no swelling or redness. The thing is, he only has one eye (he had the other one removed due to a bad persistent cyst/infection about 4 years ago). Normally, I wouldn't worry, but because he only has one eye left I tend to keep a good watch on any changes with it. He has been sneezing a lot as well, so I was thinking it might just be an allergy thing. It doesn't seem to bother him, he just wipes it a few times when it gets too watery. Otherwise he's been acting normal, eating, playing, etc. I also haven't changed anything that would cause him to have an allergic reaction, and as far as I know he hasn't gotten into anything weird that he wasn't supposed to.

Any idea what could be going on? At what point should I take him to the vet? I might just be overreacting but again I just worry because he only has one eye! Would hate for something to happen to it because I waited too long. Any advice would be great.

mizzely

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Has he shown symptoms of allergies before? The only time I've personally seen watery eyes and sneezing was when a friend's cat had a upper respiratory infection and did need to go to the vet to clear it up.

I'd personally take him in. If the vet says its just allergies, you can likely get him some relief still.

livelovepurr

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Have you ever had a PCR test done on your cat?

Allergies are unlikely, since allergies generally manifest as skin issues in cats and dogs. He should go to the vet, but think about testing him for the herpes virus.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

jessicaj62

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Has he shown symptoms of allergies before? The only time I've personally seen watery eyes and sneezing was when a friend's cat had a upper respiratory infection and did need to go to the vet to clear it up.

I'd personally take him in. If the vet says its just allergies, you can likely get him some relief still.
The only time he gets sneezy/watery eyes is if I spray something around the house, he's usually sensitive to certain products, so I've learned what to avoid using around him. The thing is I didn't spray anything lately, so I'm not sure what's going on. I called my vet yesterday, and I was able to talk to the vet personally. She said to bring him in by the end of the week if he doesn't get better. So that's what I'll be doing. I trust my vet's advice because I've been going to her for years for both of my cats. He already seems like he's improving so I will continue to keep a good eye on him. But if it persists I will be taking him to get checked out! Thanks for your advice

jessicaj62

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Have you ever had a PCR test done on your cat?

Allergies are unlikely, since allergies generally manifest as skin issues in cats and dogs. He should go to the vet, but think about testing him for the herpes virus.
Thank you for your advice. I will be taking him in on Friday if the problem persists. And I haven't ever done a PCR test on him, but will request one if he continues have this issue by Friday, or any time in the future.

winksmom

Darling in his basket
Young Cat
Purraise
I think it would be a good idea to have a vet test your little friend for Feline Herpes. When you read about it online, don't get discouraged. Even if it is FHV, or feline rhinotracheitis (FVR) it is a manageable disease. 

jessicaj62

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think it would be a good idea to have a vet test your little friend for Feline Herpes. When you read about it online, don't get discouraged. Even if it is FHV, or feline rhinotracheitis (FVR) it is a manageable disease. 
Thank you for the response! As mentioned above I spoke with my vet, and will probably be taking him to see her Friday, although his symptoms are already clearing up. I will definitely ask about getting him, and my younger cat, tested in the very near future.

livelovepurr

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Truthfully, herpes is very common in cats. Sometimes it doesn't cause any problems, but other times it does cause flare ups. And since you said he has gotten like this before, it makes me suspicious that he is positive. If he's positive, your veterinarian can prescribe him lysine powder to sprinkle on his food everyday. It doesn't cure it (there is no cure), but it does help slow down replication of the virus and reduces flare ups.

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Truthfully, herpes is very common in cats. Sometimes it doesn't cause any problems, but other times it does cause flare ups. And since you said he has gotten like this before, it makes me suspicious that he is positive. If he's positive, your veterinarian can prescribe him lysine powder to sprinkle on his food everyday. It doesn't cure it (there is no cure), but it does help slow down replication of the virus and reduces flare ups.
@LiveLovePurr

Given that it can, in severe cases, result in corneal ulcerations, how do you feel about Guanosine-analogue antiviral medications such as Famciclovir in cats who test positive and exhibit recurring symptoms?  Secondarily, what's your view on olopatadine hydrochloride drops as a symptomatic treatment, given that it's been shown more effective by far than its prehistoric previous counterparts (e.g. levocabastine, et al) as a suppressant for ocular itching and venous hyperemia?

livelovepurr

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
1CatOverTheLine 1CatOverTheLine

Truthfully, I'm not experienced with ophthalmic treatments. I have no opinion on the drops. However, I hear that Famcyclovir has shown positive results in the last few years. The veterinarians at my clinic usually prescribe lysine powder, but it's generally used for cats with mild flare ups. We refer more difficult cases to a veterinary internist at one of the large referral clinics.

Last edited:

jessicaj62

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
As I'm reading some of what you both are saying, things are starting to click now, specifically about the corneal ulcerations in severe cases. I'm reviewing my cats paperwork from before I adopted him, and it says they concluded that the reason his one eye was removed was because of a corneal ulcer (adopted him after his eye removal). I will definitely be taking this paper work to my vet and asking her about testing for feline herpes. If there is a way I can prevent flare ups, if he has it, I will start with those options immediately. Couldn't bare to have my baby lose his only eye if it got to that point.