Persistent Sinus Issues with Cat - Strange Bump?

CapnJengo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, we have a cat named Stella who's a few years old. She was an adoption from a local shelter, and came from a family with a history of hoarding.
However, her sinus congestion has been getting worse over time despite treatment with anti-fungal, steroid and anti-biotic medication. The veterinarian continues to insist that what we're looking at is indeed a viral or fungal infection, but so far she hasn't responded to any treatments.

She most recently developed the bump as shown in the pictures below. The bump isn't hard or rigid, and does give with any force. Obviously we don't do this as we assume this causes her great discomfort. I wanted to reach out and ask if anyone had seen anything like this, and if so what it may be.

IMG_0203.jpg

IMG_0204.jpg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CapnJengo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I don't think sinus infections look like that. That looks like a growth of some kind. Has it been biopsied?
No, it hasn't been unfortunately. She has a fit-in vet appointment tomorrow but the vets seem content to continue to medicate it, despite having not responded to any prior treatment. Is that something we could request of them? Is it very invasive?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CapnJengo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey all, I wanted to write back and inform you of what we found out from todays visit. Stella has a fungal infection called Cryptococcosis, and the hump is a manifestation of that infection. She's going to have a nasal cavity irrigation done on Monday to try and flush it out and relieve any immediate issues, and was started on Ketoconazole.

Thanks for your answers and help, I'll keep you all posted as the procedures go

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I am sorry to read that you have been given that diagnosis. This can be a serious condition in cats.

Cryptococcosis?!
This thread has some pertinent information

I lost a cat to this several years ago. While I don't want to throw a bunch of articles at you, start to do some research about this immediately. Many consider Ketoconazole not the best medication for it and not the safest for cats.

Treating feline cryptococcosis (Proceedings)
Cryptococcosis

SafariDoc

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
[General Information - Not Medical Advice]

In case it is helpful, here is a case report about cryptococcosis and a cat in California.

This case report was published in the Journal of Feline Medicine and Surgery Open Reports (2022).

https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/full/10.1177/20551169221074624

1. Cat's Diagnosis and Treatment:
- The cat's nasal cryptococcosis was first diagnosed by a veterinarian in Southern California in the Summer of 2019.
- After initiating care and treatment, the veterinarian chose to consult with the UC Davis School of Veterinary Medicine about the cat.
- This case report was published about the cat's diagnosis, care, testing and treatment.

2. Medication.
- The cat was placed on daily Fluconazole medication.
- With a veterinary prescription, the cat's Fluconazole medication was purchased at a local (Costco) pharmacy to save costs.

3. Crypto Tests and Results:
- The cat's serum specimens were collected at a local veterinary hospital in Southern California.
- The cat's test results were mainly interpreted using the Latex-Cryptococcal Antigen Test (IMMY LCAT) test kit and/or the Cryptococcal Antigen Lateral Flow Assay (IMMY CrAg LFA).

4. How is the cat doing now?
- Three years later, the cat has been doing well!

Hope this information is useful to you.