Persistent flu?

nightflower

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am new owner of a BSH kitten. I got him about 5 months ago.
Ever since I got him or not long after he has been sneezing and having runny nose.
It is quite bad to the point that he can't breathe properly. He tends to have his mouth
open.I have been to so many vets and I think he has received at least 3 types of antibiotic
but the problem is still there. When he is on flu medication, the problem goes away
for awhile but once stopped it will come back after a few days or a week the most.

A while ago he had a bit of a "slip" from running around playing with another cat.
So I took him to the vet and they did an xray. It wasn't a very serious problem but
the xray also shows that he has enlarged heart. I was wondering if anyone knows
or have had experience if the persistent flu is a symptoms of heart problem?
I am quite reluctant to take him to the vet for futher check up since he is a very
timid and easily scared. That one time that he did an xray he got so scared that
he hid and avoided me and everyone else in the house for a week plus. We are
also currently on lockdown where I am at right now and there is no vet with xray
service near where I am staying :(

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like your kitten suffers from a viral disease. The viral disease carries a bacterial secondary infection that is fought with the antibiotics, but the viral issue is still there and won't go away.
Even if your kitten is up-to-date with his vaccines, he could have caught the virus before the first vaccine. I'm afraid that it might even get a chronic condition, though he might feel better and better as he grows up.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Your kitten probably does have some sort of viral condition - and even those who have been vaccinated can still get it or as said above had it before they were vaccinated. You could call and ask the vet about treating the virus itself, perhaps with anti-viral medications/supplements and/or immune boosting supplements. I am no expert, but it sounds like FVR (feline herpes). The key is to keep after flare ups with antibiotics, and to find ways to reduce stress as that can help trigger a flare up. It might also be that he needs a longer course of antibiotics as well.

When there is congestion involved, running hot water in a bathroom to form steam and then sit with your cat for 5 minutes or so inside the bathroom with the door closed can help to clear his airways. And, any eye or nose discharge should be gently wiped away as needed.

I don't know about any correlation with a heart condition, but that is another question to pose to your vet. I personally think it is a separate issue, but that is coming from a layperson who has no veterinarian training. .

The good news is that if it is herpes, and he contracted it after being vaccinated, it generally makes flare ups less severe - and, there are tons of members on this site who have cats with this virus. Hopefully, some will come along soon and offer their recommendations for supplements/care.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

nightflower

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He was on flu medication until yesterday and today the sneezing and runny nose and snorting/breathing problem
has started again. I plan to take him to the nearest vet that I am able to go to. Googling on the internet leads to
the answer that FVR is not treatable or very difficult? I forgot to mention he also has been having ear problem.
His ear is always very dirty. Even if I clean today, tomorrow it will get dirty again. Which also makes me wonder if
it is some kind of ENT problem...

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Some cats are prone to accumulating ear wax and it can look dirty in terms of the color. It can also be related to an infection, or even ear mites - but the ear mites would typically cause itchiness and scratching. A vet can take a sample of the 'debris' in his ear to test it for infection if they think that might be what is causing it.

As far as FVR, it can be managed, it can't be cured. The biggest issue is with flare ups and making sure the flare ups are treated with antibiotics when needed, as well as anti-viral meds. A lot of people also give their cats immune boosting supplements to help reduce the chances of flare ups. Here is an article on FVR.
Herpesvirus Infection in Cats (Feline Viral Rhinotracheitis) | VCA Animal Hospital (vcahospitals.com)
I would discuss all of this with the vet, it may be that they feel your cat has something altogether different going on. But, you do need to push the issue, especially since he has had numerous rounds of antibiotics and that is clearly not the entire answer to helping out your little guy.