Persistent diarrhea even after antibiotics, help?

Chibiwings

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a cat [9 months] who just finished a week of Metronidazole on Monday, but she is still having "soft" poops. Before she was having very bad, smelly, bloody/jelly poops. We've been struggling with it since start of November. On metro they improved greatly, and by the 7th day it seemed like things were starting to become more firm. I know they helped in some way because she has returned to her normal crazy active self, but her poops seems to be going backwards instead of improving. She gets a daily treat of probiotic, and after doing some reading I have Nexabiotic Probiotics coming Sunday.

I've raised her indoors since she was roughly 2 weeks old, before that she lived in a boat off the ground away from anything so she's never been exposed to much. Both her sisters have perfectly normal bowel movements. [A side note that we lost their brother due to unknown kidney deformation at 4 months old, though the vet has little worry about it with the other 3] FiV/FelV tests negative.

Any kind of ideas or input would be greatly appreciated. I will get her in the vet next week if possible, but I am unemployed stay at home caretaker for my grandparents so my funds are not busting at the seems. Anything that you think may help I will listen!

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What are you feeding her? Have you had the PCR diarrhea panel and the GI panel done on her? That might tell you if there's an underlying infection and the GI panel will tell you if she's got pancreatitis or has a B-12 deficiency.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Chibiwings

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What are you feeding her? Have you had the PCR diarrhea panel and the GI panel done on her? That might tell you if there's an underlying infection and the GI panel will tell you if she's got pancreatitis or has a B-12 deficiency.
The vets first recommendation was the metronidazole for a week, a panel was done for parasites but that was it. She was on 50mg twice a day for the metro, for 7 days. From what I have read currently it seems like the 7 days may have been too short of a time :/
She is on purina gentle cat chow, which I know is far from a high quality food, but I have a lot of little kitty mouths to feed so we are just doing the best we can on that end.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There's been a lot of issues with various Purina products lately. If you can, try to switch her to a different single protein that's not chicken since many kitties are sensitive to it.

Chibiwings

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Looking through the foods I can afford and get, everything seems to have chicken by product meal as a second or third ingredient in it :mad: Cat food has been very hard to come by out here recently, I've actually been having to order what I do get online because the stores are just not stocked!

Chibiwings

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Could have a food sensitivity/allergy. My boy had diarrhea for over a month straight while we figured it out. It was horrible!
She was doing super well on the purina kitten food, it was when we started switching to adult foods that her tummy got so angry! Im hoping we can get this figured out soon

Chibiwings

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi Chibiwings Chibiwings !

OK, then..........go BACK to the KITTEN FOOD !

.........and, keep us updated. (pictures not refused here, btw! :lol:)
I could try it, but she has free reign of everything now so she can get into the cat feeders with the other foods. I may add wet food back into her diet instead? When they were younger they were on wet and dry kitten food, since they came to me so young. I wanted to give them as much nutrition as possible after bottle feeding

The snot in question, Horchata

Attachments

Chibiwings

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
OMG........I'm SMITTEN !
She gets lots of compliments at the vet! She is my lovely little baby and I adore her, I just want her tummy to finally be happy again!

Also just ordered some psyllium husk powder to try and help as much as I can.

Attachments

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, such beautiful colours !

On wet foods, yes, absolutely, all of them will do so much better with wet food.

I don't want to overwhelm you, so if and as you have time, here's a holistic FelineNutrition101: Feeding Your Cat: Know the Basics of Feline Nutrition

Meantime, back to the loose stool, I wonder if, after that antibiotic, S boulardii might help. Many folks here use it. Here's an article by a a very well-informed former TCS member about it and diarrhea: My Cat Has Diarrhea! What do I do? About halfway down there, you'll see: The Probiotic – S boulardii

Chibiwings

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh, such beautiful colours !

On wet foods, yes, absolutely, all of them will do so much better with wet food.

I don't want to overwhelm you, so if and as you have time, here's a holistic FelineNutrition101: Feeding Your Cat: Know the Basics of Feline Nutrition

Meantime, back to the loose stool, I wonder if, after that antibiotic, S boulardii might help. Many folks here use it. Here's an article by a a very well-informed former TCS member about it and diarrhea: My Cat Has Diarrhea! What do I do? About halfway down there, you'll see: The Probiotic – S boulardii
Thank you for the links I will read through the pet nutrition!
I have a multi probiotic coming tomorrow with s boulardii in it, it isn't the only one in there but reviews were very positive so I am hoping it will be enough?

I've been seeing more reports on pet foods causing bloody diarrhea, with a pretty big list of popular brands cat foods :mad: Making it even harder to consider what to switch to if I have to

Chibiwings

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
And we are back to the upset stomach again

I seem to see a pattern here, before I made this post Friday she stole a few temptation treats on Thursday night when I was giving them to the other cats. Her poops have been good since Monday as far as I am aware, then yesterday evening I gave very few out and today we are back to the bad poops.

I'm just tossing the whole bag and am going to keep an eye on her.

Chibiwings

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
And we are back to the upset stomach again

I seem to see a pattern here, before I made this post Friday she stole a few temptation treats on Thursday night when I was giving them to the other cats. Her poops have been good since Monday as far as I am aware, then yesterday evening I gave very few out and today we are back to the bad poops.

I'm just tossing the whole bag and am going to keep an eye on her.
Just to add she was NOT given any of the treats, but I believe a cat decided they did not want theirs and her little sneaky self stole them.