Persistant earmites

mrsmeowgi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I used the Acarexx and I'm skeptical. It's a one treatment deal. If it doesn't work, I'm going to be pretty upset... it cost $40 to treat my cats this time. If it doesn't work, I'll end up spending that again.

I treated 2 days ago and they're both still showing signs of mites (the head shaking, scratching, etc.). I wonder how long the Acarexx stays active after the treatment?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

eckie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'll need to clean Rosie's ears, any advice on the best method? She now hates any approach to her ears and so this will be a great struggle

Cotton buds perhaps?

angels4mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Blake and Jasmine continue to have ear mites, but I just found a website containing some info. Before I paste the info here, let me inform you of what mistakes, and what things have worked in the past for me. Just to let you know before you spend your money on a vet visit and purchasing Acarexx, I did this, and it seemed to work, but after two months the little buggers were back. I have been using Qtips to clean the ear, but I found out that I am actually pushing the mites down further into the ear.

When Blake begins to scratch his ears, Sometimes they bleed. I get some hydrogen peroxide (the solution that you use to clean cuts with) and place some on a cotton ball. I gently apply it to the cuts, and allow the peroxide to bubble for a little bit, then I gently dry it. Then, I apply some anti-boitic ointment (Neosporin, or the generic which I prefer because they do the same thing), and then I have to hold him at least two minutes, to allow the ointment to be absorbed. Then, I pat dry the remaining ointment off because I found out that when he cleans himself, he will lick his paws, then his ear, and back again, and Neosporin is really not good for his tummy. Here is the info from that website I found. Good luck, and if you find out anything that works, please let me know at [email protected].

----The following information was taken from the following website: http://www.dr-dan.com/earmites.htm----------------

The Ear Mite's proper name is "Otodectes cyanotis" ( Latin for "Picker of the Ear" ). This name tells it all. Ear mites are extremely common. Greater than 50% of dogs, cats and fox are carriers of ear mites. Most infestations are subclinical and inapparent, but secondary bacterial and fungal infections can cause a nasty external ear canal infection and much irritation and discomfort for your pet.

One of the biggest causes of treatment failure is not removing the exudate BEFORE applying the medication. Every bit of the black, crusty exudate must be removed from the ear canal before any medication will work. This is best accomplished by gently flushing the ear canal using an ear bulb (available from drug stores). Mix up a solution of warm water and liquid dishwashing detergent (just enough detergent to slightly color the water) and fill the ear bulb. The tip of the bulb is held loosely in the ear and the water/soap solution is gently squeezed in allowing it to bubble out carrying the debris (Never block the free passage of the solution out of the ear or you could rupture the ear drum). This process is repeated three or four times until the ears are clean. The ears are then rinsed with warm, clear water and dried. Q-tips are not recommended because they carry the dirtiest contamination deeper into the canal making the infection worse. If you do not feel comfortable cleaning the ear, you should consult your veterinarian.

Ear mite medications commonly contain a pyrethrin insecticide and vehicle such as mineral oil. These medications can be purchased across-the-counter from many pet stores or veterinary hospitals.

Since ear mites are easily passed from one pet to another by close contact, ALL animals in the household must be treated at the same time to ensure success.

A second reason for treatment failure is not treating long enough. The treatment schedule that has worked for me over the years is as follows:

All ear exudate is cleaned from the ear canal.

Ear mite medication is instilled deeply into the ear canal and massaged thoroughly to disperse. As you massage, a "gooshy" sound should be heard as the medication is dispersed. The medication is applied once a day for three days in a row.

A week is allowed to pass without treatment.

The ears are cleaned again and the medication is applied once a day for three more days.

Another week is allowed to pass without treatment.

The ears are cleaned and the medication is applied once a day for a final three days.

The reason for this schedule is to interrupt the entire life-cycle. Each week more eggs will hatch and new mites will colonize the ear. By the end of the third week we have killed all stages of the ear mite life-cycle and we should see no more problems. Occasionally, if bacterial or fungal infections have caused damage to the ear canal, an antibiotic or antifungal cream or ointment may need to be used.

Can people get Ear Mites?

No, and thank God for that. Can you imagine trying to sleep with bugs crawling around inside your head? Just remember to clean the ears thoroughly BEFORE treatment and treat long enough and it should be easy to rid your pet of these common pests.

Holly and Mandie have mites. I use an ear dropper to put olive oil in their canals. I'm astounded at the amount of crud that surfaces and flies out. It must've been really piling up in there. I tried ear cleanser but it wasn't nearly as affective.

quiet

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Revolution. Treat all cats in the household. Don't put anything qtip or other into a cats ear. You can really damage them. They can also have a bad reaction to the substance put into the ear if it absorbs through the membrane. I have seen a cat actually go into CHF from an ear treatment. Really revolution works. Even without cleaning it works.