Persistant Abscess?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by zanniesmom

The reason cats get abcesses so easily is that their skin heals so fast, while infection is still present underneath. Did they do a culture with the tests when they sent the specimen? I wouldn't be surprised if the persistent infection was because until the surgery they hadn't been able to clean out that pocket.
For the diarrhea you could try acidophilus from the health food store for him and put him on a hairball or weight reduction food. These foods are both high in fiber and can really help diarrhea. You can even get r/d from your vet to try, that is what my vet put Elfie on and it cleared up her diarrhea while still on the antibiotics. Becky
They didn't do a culture this time (the last one didn't show anything and cost $80!), but there weren't any foreign objects or parasites. I've been keeping the incisions open and nothing but clear fluid has come out, so I think that maybe it'll be okay this time (please let it be okay!).

I gave him a little bit of yogurt. With the last bout of diarrhea, nothing seemed to clear it up (we tried yogurt, BeneBac, high-fiber food), but eventually it went away on it's own. It may be gone now, actually. One of the cats vomited last night, but I think that it may have been Willow and not Spot. It was a hairball situation, and Spot still has the e-collar on, so I can't imagine him licking enough hair to form a hairball.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Spot's doing great! I just wanted to let everyone know. His head has healed (still mostly bald, but the hair will grow back eventuall) and no new lumps have formed. The diarrhea even went away last weekend, and he's finishing up on his current antibiotic (meaning we found one that doesn't upset his tummy). Good news all around. Willow goes in tomorrow for a recheck on her bladder infection, but she seems to be doing fine as well.

ktlynn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good news about Spot!!!

I have a feral cat who seems prone to developing abscesses too, so I've been learning about this through your thread. I thought my little guy was the only one with this problem - no one I know had ever experienced this before.

I hope Spot will continue to do well, and this will be the end of it. Thanks for letting us know!
PS - good luck with Willow, too