Persil needs Board magic NOW

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks. I have tied a muslin bandage right round her to prevent her licking it. It looks awful, but I am sure it is basically a surface thing.

katie=^..^=

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh Jenny --

I'm sure they'll be able to fix that little hole up with some antibiotics and a good cleaning out.

But in the meantime I'm sending my prayers and some California Good Vibrations. I'll also be on pins and needles til I read your thread after the doctor visit.

noni

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am, without doubt, sending my love and hugs from this side of the globe...Persil, let's get you all better, and on the other side of this stuff!

Jenny, you too. You are such a great Mom to have noticed that and called immediately. Good work.

Many hugs and lots of board magic for the both of you...and I'll say a prayer, too. And let us know, all right?

Best-
Michele

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Poor Persil! She has such bad luck. The vet thinks she has an allergic reaction to the subcutaneous antibiotic, that has caused a nasty abscess at the site of injection. He does not want to clean it out or trim it as he does not think she should have any more anaesthetic yet. So he has put a compress on, of iodine and saline, and a tube bandage, and I will redress it every day. She also has an E collar to wear. So she is miserable and the others think she looks and smells strange so are sniffing her. Ellie pulled the dressing off in ten minutes, so I will have to isolate her when I am not there. The vet thinks it will take around 10 days to clear up.

captiva

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh no! Poor baby! I'm glad you're home to watch over her now. She will feel better soon because she's a fighter!

charcoal

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Poor kitty has had it rough lately. I hope she doesn't keep getting hurt, sick or anything else anymore.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh Persil...we are all sending you healing vibes...you must get better...Spring is coming, with it's bevy of wonderful smells and butterflies that go by the window!

Hang in there Jenny, you two will get through this,

carolcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Poor baby, and poor you, I hope that this clears up without any more trouble and you can all get back to normal, best wishes and hugs.....

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am having great difficulty in keeping the ecollar and the dressing on her - she got both off this afternoon while I was out. Because the abscess is right in what in a human would be the armpit it is really hard to bandage it either to her leg or to her abdomen in a way that covers it and stops her licking. She took the entire tube bandage off as well. HAs anyone had any experience with warm versus cold compresses to draw an abscess in cats? I am wondering whether it would be good to hold her with a warm dressing on it for a while.

myrage

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
aaawww, seems she's a handful. Still sending heal quickly vibes to your handful, so that she can be back to being her normal self soon. She's so cute

noni

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think it would be good to hold her for a while, even just to reassure her that she's all right. Something about a Mama's arms that works wonders.

About the bandage...here in the states, we have wrap (gauze) which sticks to itself. I get it all the time when I've donated blood - I don't know what it's called. but it's like an Ace bandage, except it's sticky and will adhere to itself, leaving no ends to take off. If you can get your hands on some of that, it might help.

Also consider using an Ace bandage. Wrap it in a figure 8; around her leg, over her shoulder, around her leg, over her shoulder several times. Put the solution on under the actual bandage (or cotton square, whatever is appropriate), and wrap it that way. It will likely hinder her movement, and don't make it too tight, but it will be far more difficult to remove - either by herself or another cat.

Or...take an old sock - a long one of yours. Bandage the abcess, and then slide the sock on to her. Take 2 safety pins, and a peice of ribbon. Attach a pin to either side of the sock and pin the ribbon to the sock, leaving enough room for her to move. It will act like a sling, and since it's over her shoulder, it will again be harder to remove.

I think the trick will be somehow using her shoulder/back to keep the bandage on. It provides leverage that way, and is much more secure than just a bandage wrapped 'round her leg.

Hope one of these works - yes, I've used them all at one time or another on one cat or another...Depending upon the cat, it's had moderate success or great success. But always some success.

Hugs to you and wee Persil...and get well soon!

Best-
Michele

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Hubby (nurse) says warm compresses for abscesses. Jenny, this type of thing often occurs after surgery, and your being there wouldn't have prevented it. I'm still keeping my fingers crossed for Persil - I really think she's going to be okay, but will be experiencing some discomfort for a while. Is it possible to "layer" the tube bandage, i.e., put three or four on her, but not edge to edge, so that she has to strip them off one at a time? Our last cat had a broken tail, which was splinted (about four inches; the vets recommended splinting rather than amputation). He kept working at the splint, so I got very thin foam rubber sheets from a medical supplier (they're used under braces or with prostheses), and taped a few over the splint with tons of surgical tape. Straycat had to rip them off before he could work on the splint. He always managed to get the E-collar off, too. I got that tip from my sister, whose cat was in a cast (dislocated hip and broken leg) for quite a few weeks following a cat fight. It's not fool-proof, but slows them down.

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the tip about compresses. I have used surgical tape to stick the dressing on her under the tube bandage, then the bandage, then a ring of tape around her tummy on top of the bandage. She has not got that lot off yet, and it is preventing her either licking or scratching the abscess, though the poor thing is finding walking difficult with all the stuff on her. She is still eating well though, which is a good sign.

zanniesmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If you are any good a sewing, you could make a tube sock garment as Michelle suggested and set in a sleeve on that side so that she wouldn't have access to it and she would have a really hard time getting it off. Sort of one of Hobbes designs. The tape Michelle was referring to is called Coban in the people version and Vetwrap in the pet version. Becky

katie=^..^=

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, poor little Percil! I know she's getting the best possible care from you, Jenny and all of us here -- cat and human -- are sending purr prayers and good wishes to you and Pecil.