Persian Cat Pregnant?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
If she's not pregnant yet, she will be, unless you take care of things ASAP. Neutering the male shouldn't be too expensive and it will help prevent urine marking issues in the future. Please don't delay and take care of the cats. 

ciawearshats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's been a while, so if she is she should definitely be showing some signs. The gestational period for a cat is only about 9 weeks. So if her nipples aren't super obvious and she hadn't grown a huge tummy (which, if that new pic is recent, she hasn't), then she probably isn't pregnant. She might just be growing up.

But yeah, keep them separated until you can get your boy fixed (it won't be cheap, but it'll be cheaper than Suri's surgery). Suri is definitely too young to be a mom. The cheapest I could get my male fixed was ninety us dollars and change, and until then I kept them separated (which was difficult in a studio apartment) and only let them visit when I could watch them and make sure he never climbed on her.

My boy cat was about that age when he (attempted to) impregnate my girl cat. Luckily she just had a false pregnancy and he's fixed now.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nyny

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for all the responses guys! About 2 weeks ago when I came home I found Suri with a HUGE hole on the side of her tummy.. We immediately took her to the vet. They said that she should be fine but they're going to keep her for 2 nights and then do a operation on that Friday to cut out all the dead tissue.. So we went to visit the next day. They had shaved off her hair where the whole was and it now looked like this: She was fine tho and the vet was happy.. The next day she had the operation... Everything went well and I was told we could go and fetch her at 15:30. When I got there she was still a bit sleepy and they told me they would call me if shes awake. So about an hour later we got a call.. They said she took a big nose dive and she was in critical condition. Her body stopped producing red blood cells and she would need blood transfusion ect. So we agreed and she got blood transfusions twice and they put her on a drip. The next day the vet told us she was still in critical condition and that it could go either way. I still had hope that she would make it through but unfortunately later that day she passed away... The bet said it was bad breeding. Her body never functioned like it should have and the smallest thing could've caused her death - even spaying her. She was almost 11 months old and she was only 2.4kg AND we still didnt have her papers from the breeder. This made me so angry. She couldn't even live a full 11 months because a "professional breeder" didn't know what she was doing. I am very sorry for not replying sooner but I burst into a puddle of tears just thinking of her.

natalie708

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm so very sorry for your loss. She was a beautiful cat and you gave her a loving home and a beautiful happy life.

natalie708

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
There may be an avenue where you live to report these breeders. Did you find them through friends, internet? Were they supposed to give you papers? Even the best bred cats can develop a congenital heart condition at a young age but its a common problem re breeding lines.

bigperm20

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So sorry to hear this. Unfortunately, there are many unscrupulous backyard breeders out there. The only way to really know if they are legit is by checking with their respective agency. If they have none, avoid them totally.

So sorry for your loss.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
@NyNy   I am very sad to read your news of Suri.   The whole experience must have been an emotional roller coaster and the past couple of weeks heart breaking.  I hope that your other cats are coping well and helping you through this period.  It is an awful thought that there was an issue with her health from birth and related to breeding practices.  She has won many admirers here on TCS and her character has shone through in your photographs of her.  Suri's life was too short but she has obviously been much loved and leaves many beautiful memories as well as a huge hole in your heart. 

Here on TCS we usually close a thread when something like this happens and those who have been following the thread have had an opportunity to share their condolences.  @NyNy  If you would like to share more thoughts of Suri's life, and feel it would be helpful for you, please feel free to start a new thread in our Crossing the Bridge forum.

RIP Suri, run free little princess.  

This thread is now closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.