Persian Breeders INSIDE

fast persian

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey all I'm new to the cat world and I have a few questions for all you Persian breeders. First off, I've always been into breeding Rottweilers from young age with my parents when I lived at home. I've never really been interested in cats but that has all changed now.
My g/f has gotten me into wanting a cat now.
So I'm starting to research a little now before I buy us one. My questions are:

For dogs there is AKC as far as papers for them, what is there for cats and what is the diff ?

My g/f and I are wanting a solid black with orange eyes Persian, is this a common cat or is it very rare ?

What is a ball park figure for what a kitten like this will cost ?

Thanks for all the help!!

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Fast Persian

Hey all I'm new to the cat world and I have a few questions for all you Persian breeders...My g/f has gotten me into wanting a cat now. So I'm starting to research a little now before I buy us one.
Hi and welcome to the wonderful world of being owned by cats!

It is a good thing that you are doing your homework - breeders being the quirky bunch that we are *grin* you will find a lot of differences in not only the style/colors of cats being bred but also in the ethics of the individual breeders. Try to stick with someone who is nearby you if at all possible, check them out thoroughly - ask thousands of questions - if possible, try to talk to other people who have purchased a cat from them - ethical breeders with nothing to hide will be happy to give you references. Go to the cattery and see for yourself how the cats are kept, and I cannot stress this enough, make absolutely certain you get a clean health certificate or guarantee - Persians are prone to polycystic kidney disease and you will want to make absolutely certain that your cat is certified free from this problem.

There is an excellent web page with VERY detailed instructions on how to purchase a kitten located here: http://www.summerleasiamese.com/how_....htm#Questions

Check that out. While it deals primarily with Siamese, the information contained there can certainly be applied to any breed.

For dogs there is AKC as far as papers for them, what is there for cats and what is the diff ?
There are many registry organizations for pedigreed cats; CFA (Cat Fancy of America), TICA (The International Cat Association), ACA (American Cat Association) just to name a few. Very much like the AKA, each of these registry organizations keeps detailed records on pedigreed cats including breeder/owner information, breedings and litters, show titles etc. The only difference that I can think of at present is that the AKA is for canines and the orgs that I listed above are for felines. There may be other differences, but I have only had one cup of coffee this morning and am still a bit foggy around the edges. *grin*

My g/f and I are wanting a solid black with orange eyes Persian, is this a common cat or is it very rare ??
Since I am not a Persian breeder, I can't answer this question intelligently, but if you go to any one of the registry orgs websites there is normally a listing of breeders, listed either by breed/location there. You could certainly check out some of them to see what cats they may be breeding and have available. I will get those website addresses for you and post them later today - but for now, the CFA's web site is located at http://www.cfainc.org - try that first.

What is a ball park figure for what a kitten like this will cost ???
The link I provided above "How To Purchase A Kitten" contains some good reasons why pedigreed cats cost what they do - again, read through it. It is a VERY comprehensive report!!

I sincerely hopes this helps you in your quest to find the perfect kitten. Best of luck, and by all means, let us know how it goes.

Yours,

Gaye Flagg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fast persian

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the great info. you provided !! this helps ALOT

fast persian

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Naw I still don't know what a good breeder to get one from in Texas is. That and I need to know about how much a kitten like this would be. I'm going to get one for my g/f to make her happy so it's just a matter of time.

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Naw I still don't know what a good breeder to get one from in Texas is. That and I need to know about how much a kitten like this would be. I'm going to get one for my g/f to make her happy so it's just a matter of time.
Hi Again, Mike ... Here's a good reference for you with regard to Persian Breeders in Texas:

http://www.breedlist.com/breeders/per_rt.html#Texas

I do not know any of the breeders listed on the link above personally, so I cannot vouch for any of them, but it is a good starting point for you.

Now as for price, again, not being involved with Persians, I don't know exactly what individual breeders might charge, but you can probably count on spending somewhere between $300 - $600 for a kitten.

I wanted to address your VERY generous gift offering to your oh-but-so-lucky girlfriend - please do not take what I am getting ready to tell you as discouragement, OK?

That now being said, making a gift of a kitten is a REALLY bad idea. Your lady needs to be in on the decision-making process. Cats are funny little beasts and normally, the way it happens is that the kitten chooses you, not the other way around. This would be how is SHOULD work ...

You: Honey, I want to make you happy and I think having a sweet little black Persian with orange eyes would do the trick. How about we go looking around for one?

Her: *smooches on your precious little cheeks* Oh baby, that's a wonderful idea!!! I love it and I love YOU for thinking of it *more smooches to your cheeks* but I want an odd-eyed bi-color, can I have that instead???

You: But of course, my peach - anything for MY woman.

Her: *smooch smooch smooch*

You get the idea???

If there is anything else I can do to help you, just shout, I am usually around.

Best of luck and don't get chapped cheeks from all the smooching. LOL

~gf~

fast persian

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That's a good point, I never thought of it that way. I'll for sure let her pick the kitten now. Because your right, she might see another she likes better (or that likes her better). Great advice!! that's why I can here first.

passiquepersian

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello-

I am a Persian Breeder. There are many different registries for cats-the most common is CFA(Cat fancier's Association), ACFA and TICA. There are many more.

Black is fairly common although I mainly breed bi-colors. I do have a solid black neutered male and there were 2 black kittens in his litter of 4. I get a lot of black and white kittens.

well, the price range could be anywhere from $250 to $1500. It all depends on the type of kitten you want-Pet, Breeder or Show. I sell my pet kittens for $300 and Breeders for $600. $300 is pretty good for a pet kitten.

Here is a picture of some of the kitties we have.

Hope this helps!!!
Take Care-
Pat

fast persian

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So is it hard to find black persians with orange eyes ? also I would only want it as a pet. Thanks for the help PassiquePersian!!

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mike,

All Black Persians should have "Copper" (orange) coloured eyes - as that is what is in the standard.

Here is a picture of my Black Male Persian boy, isn't he a beauty?

Sam

dragonlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Any luck with your search? I have black kittens every year. They aren't hard to find. I should have a litter around Valentines day that may have a few blacks in it. Keep us posted about your search!