Perplexed, Siamese kittens?

eave

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It takes a lot for me to end up confused regarding basic genetics but this case has got me wrinkling my brow...

A family in Aveiro Portugal found a very pregnant siamese looking cat giving birth in their wood shed, she had 4 babies on August 26th 2015 which they ended up taking care of (momma cat included) while registering for urgent Temporary shelter (which ended up being my apartment) as soon as the kittens and mother were of appropriate age.

Mother - Siamese looking cat

Father - Unknown

Kittens produced

1- Siamese male (all 4 paws and nose leather of solid chocolate hue, blue eyes and typical points seen on seal pointed apple head siamese cats)

2- Siamese female (All 4 paws and nose leather of a solid Dark brown hue, Blue eyes and typical points seen on seal pointed apple head siamese cats)

3- Black and white Male (as shown in the picture, blue eyes and what looks like long fur)

4- Black male (the runt of the litter, long black fur with the exception of the tail tip which is white, he may be small at 7 weeks but his eyes look about the same shade of blue as the other kittens...)

1 - Excuse the pose, He hasn't quite nailed waking up gracefully... yet...

Kitten 2 ( She's a girl, she knows she's a girl, she makes sure everyone and their shoes know she's a girl)

Kitten 3 ( )

Kitten 4 is under veterinary care and not with me atm (hence the lack of images). The best I can do is the following

Now the curios bit....

Both Kitten 1 and 2 *the siamese pointed kitties* have what looks like very faint shadow tabby stripes all over their body that only show up with flash or when they move under daylight...

??? How on earth are they color pointed and have shadow tabby markings??? What is kitten 1 going to turn into when he get's older???

Recent image of kitten 1!

evolily

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
OMG they're so CUTE!

They definitely aren't purebred, since you have two that aren't point. They do look like siamese mixes, though. Mom probably ran off with an alley cat, heh!

If you're trying to find homes, I'd definitely list them as siamese mixes.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Father was almost surely a  striped tabby, carrying black - prob the so called black tabby, ie the stripes being black.  He was not a point., BUT he was a carrier of the point gene.

The blue eyes of kittens nr 3+4 possibly still kitten blue, even if they usually beging to change at this age.   Otherrwise the dad carried blue eyes - not common, but surely may happen.

If mom apparently a family girl, she may even be a purebred (pics please!),   if she is friendly but apparently shy, she may even be a" field produced point", ie a semiferale domestic from random point carriers.

Quite a few semiferale moms, do seek human help when their time comes.  They know this is the best practical chance for their children, and thus, do copy with the situation as best as they can.  Even if they themselves are shy semiferales.

Re kitten nr 1 whom is yawning - yawning is often not just being sleepy, but its very often a greeting for friendly humans.    :)

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
continuing re the father. He is prob not a homozygote tabby, if he were, all the kittens would be tabbies - tabby is a dominant gene.  So he was a heterozygot re  tabby.

Its of ocurse fully possible there were two fathers, but its not necessary for our analysis, and multiple fathers arent  so common as many thinks seeing kittens with different looks.

The genetics of cats is so variable, its fully possible to get quite a bewildering combinations in the same litter with just two parents. One mom and one dad..

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

eave

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My baby dragon :) updated as of oct 20th 2015!

His eyes are getting brighter each day, they're extremely piercing and silverish blue in color (sometimes an almost white aquamarine). It''s hard as hell to photograph well because they show up with odd hues depending on the light, this is as close to what they look like during the day as I can get. I'm not sure the tipping of his fur will last or if it's vestigial from when his coat was shorter. He's exceptionally soft and silky feeling, his coat is not rough or wirery at all.

I wonder what his eyes will end up looking like?