Perfume question

kookycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What perfume do you use and what is your all time favorite? I have a few, but my very favorite is one they don't make anymore. Blue Grass - by Elizabeth Arden. It's the first perfume I ever used, when I was 16 yrs. old (and I'm not revealing how long ago that was --- but it was a long time ago!). It's a very light, floral scent. I have occasionally found it when we go on a cruise -- bought it in St. Maarten, Caymen Islands. I usually have to go to all the perfume stores and once in a while find it. I'm halfway thru my last bottle and we're going on another cruise in Dec. If I can find this I'll buy as many as I can.

What do you use and what is your favorite? I also like Pleasures by Estee Lauder.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love fragrances. Flowery ones tend to give me a severe headache, so I tend to stick with more spicey undertones. I'm lucky that my body chemistry allows me to wear pretty much any fragrance.

Sexual Perfume for Women by Michel Germain
- I didn't like this one when I first smelled it. To be honest when I first smelled the fragrance card it smelled like gasoline! After about 40 minutes of sampling all kinds of fragrances on sample cards, and going back to smell each one periodically, I settled on one that I really really loved! Surprise! It was the one that initially smelled like gasoline! LOL Turns out that note in the fragrance vanishes very quickly and the perfume is one of my favourites.

Raffinee Perfume by Dana
- I've always loved this perfume. It's hard to find now so I have to buy it at specialty fragrance shops. But it's worth it! It has a nice spicey/cinnamon scent that is not over powering. And it's the one I most often wear and the one I always wear to work.

Poison Perfume by Christian Dior
- I love this perfume on me. However, I've smelled this fragrance on some women and it really smelled like gerbil shavings on them. That was my introduction to the perfume actually. I used to work in an office and the boss's daughter used to come in and help out occasionally. She always smelled like gerbil shavings. One day I asked her casually about the scent she was wearing in my attempt to get her to notice that she smells like her gerbils. Turns out that it was "Poison" perfume. It really stunk on her.

FEMINITE DU BOIS perfume by Shiseido
- Probably my favourite next to Raffinee. It has a nice spicey/cedar /orange blossom fragrance. It's hard to find and I have to buy it at specialty fragrance shops or have it ordered in special.

I also can't stand when someone puts so much on that you smell them before they even arrive and for hours after they have left. A fragrance is supposed to be subtle and not meant as an announcement. It's meant to be smelled within your "personal space" (less than 2 feet all the way around you), which means someone has to lean in a bit closer to you to smell it. Outside your personal space it shouldn't be noticeable at all.

Many don't know this, but the proper way to apply a fragrance is to spay it in the air and walk through it. That's all you need and all you should wear. Too much is over powering and down right nauseating to people in the area.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I find many perfumes very overpowering. I prefer a light floral scent.

Having said that, I only wear one perfume - Paloma Picasso (Picasso's daughter's perfume).

I do not wear perfume when I go to dinner as I find it detracts from the wonderful aromas of the food. I was having dinner with my 2 best friends one evening and a lady sat at the table beside us. Her perfume was so overpowering I actually started to feel sick and I'm someone who actually wears and likes perfume. I can't imagine what someone with an allergy would feel in that situation.

luvmyparker

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A friend came to visit from England and brought me over two perfumes. The first one being Paul Smith Eau De Parfum. I looooooove it. Second was CK IN2U. Its a bit strong but it smells awesome.

I am normally more of a vanilla body spray kinda gal but I love a good perfume for special occasions.

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most give me a migraine like Pleasures and CK ones.
Samples I have from Ulta that I like:
Salvatore Ferragamo Incanto Heaven Eau de Toilette
Salvatore Ferragamo Incanto Bliss Eau de Toilette - .05 oz
hmm not sure what the last sample was.

x2006nkg

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My favorite is Ralph by Ralph Lauren in the blue bottle. Although I can't wear it to work so I tend to forget to put it on during the weekends.

I usually don't like fragrance that is too rose smelling or over flowery. I was on a 6 hour flight from Europe back to Nova Scotia and the woman sitting behind me had one such strong perfume it was giving everyone a headache! It was not plesant

-_aj_-

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I wear a few different ones I can't wear it on my skin though I turn perfume quicker than you can say hi all smells like pepper

I wear ck In 2 u, Tommy girl, and little black dress from avon

aimerlee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm pretty sensitive to most perfumes, especially ones with floral scents. I'm not too bothered if other people wear it (unless they're wearing too much), but I can't wear a lot of kinds myself because my chest will get tight. I've found a lot of the fruity or sweet smelling ones are okay. I really love the new Juicy perfume, as well as Clinique Happy and anything vanilla scented! I have Burberry Brit which I love as well but I can only wear a little of it at a time.
Two perfumes I hate are the Victoria's Secret perfume and the stuff they spray around at Abercrombie and Fitch. I can't even walk near A&F because my throat will start close up - they spray way too much! Ugh.

sk_pacer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My faves are: Estee Lauder's Cinnabar, Calvin Klein's Obsession and Navy, which is drugstore cheap. The similarity is all three are listed as oriental based scents and, for me, they work.

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just love viva la juicy by juicy couture. It's a summery scent to me though..now that it's getting colder Im into spicier scents. Like, organza by givenchy or Burberry Brit...I don't really have an all time favorite, perfumes always smell nasty to me in the store, but when it sits on my skin for a few minutes it turns nice..so I really can't pick a scent before I wear it, thus I mostly don't bother trying or buying perfumes. The ones I do have have been given to me as gifts..

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sk_pacer

My faves are: Estee Lauder's Cinnabar, Calvin Klein's Obsession and Navy, which is drugstore cheap. The similarity is all three are listed as oriental based scents and, for me, they work.
You sound like me as they are in my list of favorites as well, especially Cinnabar.
My body chemistry turns most citrus or floral scents so I stick with spicy ones. The one except is Coty's Cherry Vanilla perfume that works the best for me (and the cheapest, so it's a win/win situation!). I love the smell of vanilla but every other perfume with it in it turns and smells like mustard for some reason. That one keeps the scent.

Truthfully, I only wear perfume if DH and I are going out for a special occasion. Working at a call center we aren't "supposed" to wear perfume since we're in such close quarters but people do. I just got out of the habit and I honestly don't know if my bottle is still any good any more.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I can't wear perfume around Pipsqueak, he freaks out
. Gets all fidgety and upset. I only spritz myself as I walk out the door. I like Linen by Estee Lauder, Happy by Clinique, and Baby Phat

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I only wear actual perfume for special occasions. Mostly I do body sprays.

My fav perfume is Lovely, by Sarah Jessica Parker. I like ones with a bit of a feminine-musky scent to it. Not sure how to best describe it.

My Gram's signature scent was always Shalimar. Whenever I go to visit her house (Gram is in a nursing home) I go in her bedroom and smell her perfume. It takes me back in time. I swear before I've walked down the short hall to the bedrooms and smelled it in the air still; and Gram has been in the home for several years! Someday I will buy a bottle just to have here at my own house to sniff!

sk_pacer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by calico2222

You sound like me as they are in my list of favorites as well, especially Cinnabar.
My body chemistry turns most citrus or floral scents so I stick with spicy ones. The one except is Coty's Cherry Vanilla perfume that works the best for me (and the cheapest, so it's a win/win situation!). I love the smell of vanilla but every other perfume with it in it turns and smells like mustard for some reason. That one keeps the scent.

Truthfully, I only wear perfume if DH and I are going out for a special occasion. Working at a call center we aren't "supposed" to wear perfume since we're in such close quarters but people do. I just got out of the habit and I honestly don't know if my bottle is still any good any more.
Anything but oriental/spicey perfumes/colognes turn on me too. It took a lot of experimentation to find a decent, but cheap scent that didn't turn since Cinnabar and Obsession are fair pricey. One day I tried a shot of Navy from a tester in a drugstore, and even a few hours later, it still smelled good, so went and plopped down the princely sum of 6.99 for a bottle of cologne. I use very little and mine may have gone bad too by now.

Strange as it sounds, another one I love on myself is Stetson, a men's cologne. Found myself stuck without anything to wear for scent and a friend tossed me his bottle of Stetson, said it was too girly; he was right but on me it worked nicely.

3catsn1dog

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lucky is my fav perfume but my everyday go to scent is BB&W Fressia. I stocked up last year when they had old scents out for the semi annual sale and got like 4 bottles of it and Im down to my last full bottle. Its soon time to stock up again especially since Im almost out of my country apple lotion...I have to hide it from DF cuz he steals it for his hands in the winter.

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've worn the same perfume/cologne for years---Sand & Sable. I wear it every day, spritz it on right after I comb my hair every morning. Three spritzes, no more, no less.

resqchick

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I wear Victoria's Secret, Love Rocks. I use the lotion, and the perfume.

I have Viva la Juicy, but now that I've fallen in love with Love Rocks, I leave it in the cabinet. I tend to obsess on one fragrance and wear it constantly until something better comes along.
I'm pretty loyal until I'm fickle.