Perennial Bad Winter Kitty

catdandoo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi All,

We have a fixed long hair Persian/Himalayan (father) domestic short hair tabby cat (mother), the mixed daughter is a beautiful long haired torti (China) who is going on 14. We have two other fixed cats (related), one 18 year old male tabby and a 12 year old female Torti. Somehow along the line (maybe since 1st Winter (2005) we had her) China became a feral "wanna-be". She simply wants to be an outdoor cat. There is always a point especially in Cleveland Winters where it gets way too cold for her to stay out. When it got to 8 above a week ago she had to physically carry her inside from her metal cabinet outdoor abode.....I think all she got was some wind blocking from it. She won't use the nice cat igloo we have for her....might be too cold for that even. The problem is she will not use the litter boxes, we have two boxes, one on each floor and are very good at keeping them clean. She will not go on newspapers either. One night we covered the entire floor of the room with newspapers...well, she just pushes the papers out of the way. Her droppings are far too good for newspapers you know; she prefers Pergo. China is not a team player and has absolutely nothing to do with the other two GOOD cats...a real snot! This probably is not an uncommon problem but would like to hear about anyone's 2 cents or suggestions on cats who do not use the litter box.....we are starting to loose patience with this bad behavioral problem we have had with her for years . HELP!

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
Yikes, hard to change the opinion of a 14 year old cat. But I would start with a vet visit and a full senior blood work panel just to make sure she doesn’t have medical issues going on. Then, since she seems to like enclosed spaces, perhaps you can give her her own private indoor kennel with a litterbox of course as well as easily cleaned floors.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catdandoo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yikes, hard to change the opinion of a 14 year old cat. But I would start with a vet visit and a full senior blood work panel just to make sure she doesn’t have medical issues going on. Then, since she seems to like enclosed spaces, perhaps you can give her her own private indoor kennel with a litterbox of course as well as easily cleaned floors.
Thank you for the quick response, it has gotten to the point where we are ready to take her to the animal shelter, you may have hit on a workable idea. Dan

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catdandoo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
And try putting actual dirt (potting soil would work) in her litter box. Her feet know that feel.
Thank you for the quick response, "China" is really a purring machine sweetheart. Her bad litter box habits has been a huge problem all these years, in fact we were seriously considering relinquishing her to the APL. I never thought of using soil in her box, this is a wonderful idea, we are going to try it immediately! Dan

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They WILL kill her at the shelter. If the dirt doesn't work, it would be better to let her stay outside even if you think the weather is too cold. Provide her with an insulated sleeping area and she'll be fine. If she must be killed, do what's best for her and take her to the vet yourself instead of abandoning her to die alone and scared with strangers.

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with W Willowy . As a loving owner if you decide you cannot keep her, then it is far better for her life to end at your vet than to have her suffer through the terrifying experience of having her last days of life be in misery and fear at a shelter.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
This, too, as hard as it is to say it. Yes, take her yourself, so that she is with people she loves and trusts.

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There is a litter called "Cat Attract". Supposed to be used for cats with letterbox problems. I have no experience with it, but give it a try. I also think the soil in the litter box is worthy of a try. Go to a hardware store or gardening supply store and buy a couple bags of potting soil. Give it a try, please

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
OOOOHHHHHH! Didn't know about Touch of Outdoors! Will have to keep that in mind for future reference!

If you do try that one, let me know how it works!