Percy's Sternum sticks out?

bluerexbear

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
This is something i noticed when I got him as a little 8 week old kitten, but the vet said it would go away...it was just because he was so skinny. Well...he is 15 weeks old now and quite a healthy weight and it is still pretty prominent...especially when he lays certain ways or when I pick him up. It is down at the bottom of his ribcage right in the center on his belly side. It is definitely a bone. It just kind of turns OUT instead of in or just straight.

Anyone know anything about this? I am sure it is just a deformity, but I want to make sure it is nothing I need to worry about or have surgically corrected as he gets bigger. The vet still doesn't seem concerned and she didn't mention anything about it when he went to be neutered a few weeks ago (but I also forgot to mention it).

Anyone even know what I am talking about? LOL

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bluerexbear

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
bumping this for one more try...

cat person

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by BlueRexBear

This is something i noticed when I got him as a little 8 week old kitten, but the vet said it would go away...it was just because he was so skinny. Well...he is 15 weeks old now and quite a healthy weight and it is still pretty prominent...especially when he lays certain ways or when I pick him up. It is down at the bottom of his ribcage right in the center on his belly side. It is definitely a bone. It just kind of turns OUT instead of in or just straight.

Anyone know anything about this? I am sure it is just a deformity, but I want to make sure it is nothing I need to worry about or have surgically corrected as he gets bigger. The vet still doesn't seem concerned and she didn't mention anything about it when he went to be neutered a few weeks ago (but I also forgot to mention it).

Anyone even know what I am talking about? LOL

bumping this for one more try...
Hey now I saw it
, glad you bumped it

Anyway my old Momma cat has always had a very visible sternum. It has never caused her any problem in all the years I have owned her. Her daughter Shadow had a very visible one as a kitten. But by a year old it is hardly noticeable unless I touch her.

Loki the Savannah has a very noticeable one as a kitten. But does not now. It like disappeared. Panda my DLH has never had a noticeable one I am aware of

As always if your concerned see a licensed veterinarian you trust. Does it seem to bother your cat or just you
?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bluerexbear

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The vet saw him when he was a baby and said it would go away. Maybe I just haven't given it time to go away??? I don't know. It doesn't seem to bother him at all...just me. LOL

None of the cats I have ever owned have anything like that, so that is why I was curious.

cat person

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

The vet saw him when he was a baby and said it would go away. Maybe I just haven't given it time to go away??? I don't know. It doesn't seem to bother him at all...just me. LOL

None of the cats I have ever owned have anything like that, so that is why I was curious.
If you want to post a photo that might help me see what you are seeing. But if the veterinarian is not worried about the cat and the cat is acting normally, I would try to relax.

I would say that it took Shadow till at least eight months old to have a far less visible sternum bone. So you might not have given it enough time, IMO. Loki the Savannah had a very visible sternum bone until about six months old. At a year old he has a "normal" sternum bone.

Lastly if you are concerned please speak to a licensed veterinarian you trust.