Pepe is new in and he's scared of us

smilax

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello everybody! I joined TCS when we first have Emilio at home. Now he's 3 yo and he's absolutely adorable- the best friend ever! Now we have Pepe new in, he's 5 months feral kitty and he's 2 weeks with us. He stayed the first week at a safe room, went to the vet and after de-parasite treatment, vaccines and health checks we make the acquaint of Emilio and Pepe. They have become pals! Which it's great. But suddenly Pepe is scared of us humans, my husband and I. He comes and goes around the house but if he ever cross paths with one of us he runs like hell out of the place and goes hiding among the chairs behind the table. Pepe does mixes with us but only if we don't cross sight and if there's some food in our hands. I have found that in his old safe room we can get closer, he relaxes and get at ease, and also I need there some foodies to gain his confidence, but there he relaxes a lot; but when we are around the house he avoids us it's only when he's hungry or when I use foodies and gifts he comes near me, and always keeping a great distance between us. It's only one week now and maybe I'm a little impatient but, any words of advice? Thank you! I am very fond to cats and I know they understand than I'm a cat-like person, I try to understand as much as I can, always try to think as a cat, to understand the sings of their bodies, act like a tender mother if needed, etc. but I wouldn't want that he is scared of us for the rest of his days. Emilio is soooo lovely and tender and a very good cat, that when I think that Pepe would never be as friendly as him I get sad... Thank you all!

Last edited:

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do the two cats get along? It sounds almost as though Emililo has claimed you and Pepe is scared to get close when he might see.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

smilax

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello, talkingpeanut :wavey:
Thanks for your interest in helping! Emilio and Pepe are more than friends. Emilio has been neutered and he's very easy-going and acts like he's like an old brother to Pepe. They play, share food... I saw yesterday that when I'm alone with Pepe in his old safe room he gets relaxed... Emilio shows ups and Pepe is at ease- also he. emilio leaves and Pepe stays calm and purrs, he purrs a-lot (Emilio can't purr). I guess maybe Pepe purrs both relaxed and frightened, I can't distinguish.

Maybe it's the whole big house, we use Feliway, full of sounds, noises, stuff, people moving towards him, and showing of around in surprise to him... But I'm worried if it's going to be like this forever?

Thank you for your time!

smilax

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This is Pepe when he arrived two weeks ago

And this is Pepe as how he is with me when he is relaxed, few days ago, that I managed to grab him and have him laid by my side. When he lost his fear he became this

Now he doesn't allow me to grab him at all, it's Ike I've done something that I can't recall that he has scared him and he frightens if I even try to reach him. It's like going backwards. He only gets closer to me in his old safe room, me sitting in the floor not moving at all and with food involved... :(

Last edited:

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds like all is well and he just needs time.  Let him come to you when he's ready, and spend time in his room with him.  He'll get there!

macha 143

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
They are both very good looking babies! If they are both getting along that's wonderful news, just give him sometime to adjust. It's going to be okay, when time is right for him, he will come to you and give you his affection. I understand how you're feeling, when Mia arrived here she's all after Macha too.Now she let me pet her, pick her up and sits in my lap all the time. It will come that day, don't rush for now and don't worry, it will be okay. :-)

smilax

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your words. It's been a nightmare today
He needed a vet check and the whole vet stuff has been a terrifying experience, both for me and for him. He caught me unorevented and I got bitten- well good bitten, rovers of blood came out from my finger! He is now away, and I understand him. But this won't ever stop, in a month he will be again teen to the vet to be neutered and microchipped. I feel I've lost the chance of getting at him. These weeks he has come closer and closer, but always keeping a safety distance from us. I'm not asking that he is as friendly as Emilio if he doesn't want to, but at least I would like to gain his confidence, instead I feel I'm losing him the more the gowns. Which comes to the second of my worries, the more grown up the gets the more strong his character is. :( instead it will be always like living with a feral cat at home ... So sad!

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He will become more comfortable with you as he gets older. It takes time, and patience. Continue to reward him with treats when he is friendly and calm, and continue to minimize stress on him whenever possible. It will get better!