People Who Do Not Own Cats

sofiecusion

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I too believe it depends on the person....my grandparents don't have any pets, and haven't since their kids were small. They don't because they are farmers, and are in Missouri from Feb - June and in WI June-Feb. They have 2 houses. They remember the cats (and 1 dog) having a hard time adjusting to each trip. After they passed on (around the time they no longer had children living at home) they decided not to put any other animal through it. They found a kitten a few years ago and gave it to my uncle, his wife, and girls when they had to go back to Missouri. They love pets and plan to get 1 cat and 1 dog when they retire and stay in one place. They are happy people.

I've known people who don't like cats aren't well-liked by humans because of their attitude in general. Pets sense this too. My parents german shepard is VERY good at detecting fear in people.

I've also known people who are very sad and feel like sthey can only relate to their animals.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wasted a lot of years of my life completely absorbed in my job -- I had no in-town friends, I did not date, and I was so exhausted from work that I didn't see nearly as much of my parents and brother as I would have liked to.

During that time, I often stared up at the light fixture above my bed and wondered Where is the purpose in my life?

After I was laid off from that 18-year job in the most brutal way, I started volunteering at the shelter, and within a couple of months, I'd fallen in love with little eight-week-old Clyde. And I have never once wondered about my "purpose" since. Not because I'm doing anything great with my life now -- but just because I have someone who accepts my love. That's all the purpose I need.

Not that I wouldn't welcome a fuller life -- I hope someday Mr. Right will come along for me, and I even hope he'll have some kids from a previous marriage, so I can kinda be a mom. But Clyde and Pearl have given me a chance to lavish love on them, and that has taught me how to sneak a little more love into all my other relationships, too.

So in my case, at least, having cats has drastically increased my happiness level! And yes, I think it has done the same for many other people I know, including my mom and dad.

The most unhappy person I know... she hates cats. She has a dog, but her relationship with the poor dog is all about discipline, training, control... not love.

She needs a cat!

kaylacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well I am not sure about this one. I think that having any pet makes a person happy and adds to the persons life. I don't think that it just has to be a cat. I love all animals and I know that I wouldn't be happy if I didn't have any pets in my life.

I don't understand why some people don't like cats. But I really don't understand how some people just don't like animals period. I think they are missing out on alot. I don't know what I would do without my babies.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ddcats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lionessrampant

Doesn't she have 2 fancy-pants cats (I think they're Himmies) and a fancy-pants dog (A maltese maybe?)??
I don't know, you know more than me, I don't keep up with Martha, she is out of my league.

If she does have fancy-pants pets, she must have a fancy-pant maid to clean the house!!!!!!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ddcats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Your stories are so touching, pets do bring fulfillment to life when everything else fails.

I personally DO NOT like people who DO NOT like pets.

God FIRST made the animals.

marishka

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't necessarily think it's a matter of people who have pets are happier. I have noticed that a lot of times when people have pets, they love them to pieces, so they talk about them, or mention them from time to time at work or whatever...so I guess it could seem that way. Personally I don't know what I would do with my pets, here and in the past...
My grandmother doesn't really like having pets, but I still love her, and she's happier than a lot of people I know with pets. But she will buy my cat presents when she's out shopping, or if she sees a sale on bird stuff (which seems to run pricy, compared to dog/cat stuff when you need it!) she'll pick stuff up. So whenever I send a thank you note, I include an up to date picture of said pet. She puts them up and says she loves them to pieces- while I still know that she just doesn't ever want to cuddle them when she's visiting. Anyway, God also made the people who don't like pets, lol, so if it's good enough for Him, who am I to argue?