People & the Military

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

katz4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AnneRiceBowl

First, I would like to remind everyone about OPSEC. Some of you have given out a little TMI.
Hey Everyone - Sorry if anyone may of shared TMI, I didn't think anyone did. Just wanted to devote a thread to the military, didn't think it would hurt anything/anyone...
I thought this would be a good idea to start this thread but now i'm not so sure

What is Opsec? Website: http://www.sed.monmouth.army.mil/114/isac/opsec-2.htm

nimbus

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cousin, Kirk, who's in his mid twenties, was with the military police in Kosovo, Germany, and Iraq. He just recently came home.

-Kristen

annericebowl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Katz4Life

Hey Everyone - Sorry if anyone may of shared TMI, I didn't think anyone did. Just wanted to devote a thread to the military, didn't think it would hurt anything/anyone...
I thought this would be a good idea to start this thread but now i'm not so sure

What is Opsec? Website: http://www.sed.monmouth.army.mil/114/isac/opsec-2.htm
It's okay with the thread. Sometimes some of us need a little reminder of the saying, "Loose lips sink ships". It's okay to say, "My ______ is deployed." Just don't include dates or phrases like, "he left a week ago and will be back in 6 months" nor is it a good idea to use specific dates.

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Originally Posted by Katz4Life

Hello Everyone

Just was curious who else knows people that were in the military or still are in the military.
Can be anyone you know. Add anything you'd like to share...

My Husband was in the Marines for 8 years during the Desert Storm era.
He was an E-5/Sergeant when he got out. It was a great experience

He got stationed in Okinawa, Japan for a year & a half, he loved it there!

We have had the honor to meet with war veterans from several wars.
We have a veterans home here so we go volunteer to help out in anyway we can
So was mine--which unit was he with in the Marines? Perhaps they knew each other. (You can PM me, if you'd like this to be private.)

Hubby was in the first group to breach in the ground war in Desert Storm. Previously, he had served a few years in the Army.

My Dad was in the Army in WWII. His brother served in the Marines, then the Air Force, also in WWII.

My brother served in the Air Force in Vietnam.

We have records of many men in my (maiden name) family, who served back to the Rev War; many on BOTH sides in the Civil War.

As I like to say: Our servicemen and servicewomen sleep with a gun beside them, so we don't have to...

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Originally Posted by katl8e

My Pops spent 26 years in the Marines (WWII, Korea and Vietnam) and I am the widow of a disabled Army vet (Korea). Most of the men that I have either been married to or involved with have served at least SOME time in the service. I've married/dated Army, Navy, Air Force and Marine vets (can't seem to find any Coast Guardsmen in Arizona). I'm a one-woman USO!
Funny, I always seemed to attract Marines (and married one); and also Air Force pilots (ironic, since I'm TERRIFIED of flying!). Dated a few ex-Army gentlemen, too. Never dated anyone in the Coast Guard, nor the Navy, for some reason. I never set out to find them; I just seemed to attract them for some odd reason!

jenc511

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Haha..."one-woman USO" - sad to say, I also resemble that remark.

Without going into too much detail about my past relationships, here's the breakdown:

Both my parents are retired military.
Paternal grandparents (yes, both of them)
Maternal grandfather
Umm...(counting on fingers)...three uncles
One cousin + his wife (and countless cousins' spouses)
Ex-husband
Step-BIL
Dave (my boyfriend)
...the list goes on

Among my relatives, families without military members are the strange ones. We also tend to be career military. Doesn't make for a very close family, though. I know at one point, my family was in Okinawa, another family was in South Korea, several stateside, a retired uncle and his wife were contracting in Saudi Arabia, and my cousin was somewhere in Northern Africa.

Sad to say, but the closest things we have to family reunions are weddings and funerals.

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My paternal great great grandfather (I think it's just two greats...maybe it's one...I don't know!
) was a union soldier in the civil war.

My paternal grandfather fought in WWI, and tried to reinlist to fight in WWII, but they made him go home when they found out he had 11 children

My dad was career army (yep, army brat
). He was in Vietnam.

Many of my uncles spent time in the military.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Interesting thread! With the exception of my husband and three nephews, just about all male (and a few female) members of my family have served. My great-great-(great?) uncle was a Union surgeon in the Civil War, and is buried at Gettysburg. Two of my great-uncles served in WWI; Uncle Charlie was "shell-shocked" (PTSD), and spent the rest of his life in a VA hospital. Their younger brother served under General Patton during WWII, and their niece was an Army nurse who was among the first to pick up the pieces after the D-Day invasion.

My father and his next-youngest brother fought in Korea, while their younger brother fought in Vietnam and Desert Storm; all three were very proud to be Marines. Several male cousins served in Vietnam. My brother was in the Air Force.

Too many friends to count have been or are in the military, and many of them lost their lives. I worry constantly about a college friend's (Army) son, who spent last Christmas with us after being wounded in Afghanistan, where he's still serving.

tavia'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well my dad was in the Army for six years, my uncle on my mom's side was in Nam for three tours, my other uncle was in the army as well. My brother inlaw is still in the Army. About half of my friends are or have been Army. My friend's husband was Army. and I have a friend who was in the Navy and a girl I grew up with is in the Navy and my cousin was Navy. So yes I think me knowing a person in the military is an understatement.
And I have the upmost respect for military people and their families.

ali012281

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
DH is in the Army. We are currently living in South Korea... while I am very happy to have all this time with him we are both ready to go home.... somedays 2009 seems very far away!