People like this make me furious!

bettiecracka

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I knew someone a long time ago that had a reticulated python (about 11 feet long) that ate one of his kittens and that really upset me when I heard that. That's why when I get a snake, they are usually small and LOCKED up very securely so I won't have to have that problem of wondering where my cats are. I barely let them go on my balcony because they are becoming smart and like to jump on it and want to run off. No no kitties!

graykittenlove

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like a case of two irresponsible pet owners to me. I don't have a problem with cat owners allowing their pets outside as long as they have all the defenses that nature gave them. But to let a declawed pet outside and not watch it is just asking for something to happen.

As far as the snake goes, when one has a pet that is that large and eats live prey, then they need to go above and beyond what a normal pet owner does to ensure the safety of others. If it was big enough to eat a cat, well let's just say I'm glad no one left their infant outside.

ciera23

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Ilovecats

http://www.petfinder.com/messageboar...=56150&start=0

"My nieghbor has a huge boa that got loose last week and I haven't been able to find two of my kitties. Would a snake eat them? I mean, my yard is fenced and my cats are well trained not to leave. I am especially worried about one of them as she is declawed but really liked to sun herself on the porch and I never saw any harm in it. Can I sue them even if i don't know if the snake actually ate my cats? I paid $400 for one and the other was just a shelter cat. I was planning on showing Batung but now this happened! She was so cute! Any advice?????????????????"

My responce:
Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 9:03 pm
Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Is this a joke? Cats should not be outside, especially declawed ones. Even more especially hairless ones!

How could you be more upset about your $400 one, then your "shelter cat". Cats are cats no matter what they cost. You love them, you provide for them, not matter how expensive.

I'm not even going into details about the boa. Poor baby. Its parents like you who get them into things like this."

I don't even think what I said was close to harsh. That kind fo stuff makes my cringe in anger. I only hope its some kind of sick joke.
I don't mean to offend anyone on this board but this story really ticks me off. Yes I feel sorry for her not being able to find her kitties and worrying about the snake but..... I would not be worried about the money and believe me, I am broke!!! I am not saying that it isn't a concern but that would be furthest from my mind. I spent a lot of money on my jessie when she got sick and I do not regret one penny of it. I would have done whatever I had to do to take care of her just like people do with children. My cats are my children. So anyway, the money comment irritates me the most. I am with you on this one.....

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ilovecats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Traci, and Aimee, I totally agree with both of you.
Thanks for your comments.

cjandbilly

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by elizwithcat

Well, sorry, he can't get compensation for his loss. I don't think he can just accuse a neighbor of being at fault, he has no prove of it.
He didn't witness anything. He doesn't know what had actually happened to his cats.
I didn't mean to say that he deserved compensation for his loss. He was just searching for closure, in a sense. I think he is at fault just as much as the snake owner.

Originally Posted by GrayKittenLove

Sounds like a case of two irresponsible pet owners to me. I don't have a problem with cat owners allowing their pets outside as long as they have all the defenses that nature gave them. But to let a declawed pet outside and not watch it is just asking for something to happen.......
I completely aggree. However, I think that he/she has learned this lesson the very hard way. Maybe he/she was a first time pet owner, and didn't realize the severity of the consequences that may follow.

Originally Posted by GrayKittenLove

........As far as the snake goes, when one has a pet that is that large and eats live prey, then they need to go above and beyond what a normal pet owner does to ensure the safety of others. If it was big enough to eat a cat, well let's just say I'm glad no one left their infant outside.
I completely agree! That last statement is so true! Both the cat, and the snake owners are responsible, and neither can ask for compensation! I do, however, belive that the snake owner needs to make sure that such a dangerous animal is locked up. However, I believe it was completely stupid for the owner of the cats to let them out declawed. If they had their claws, that's a different story, but... they were declawed and defenseless.

I just don't think that the owner was meaning to state that he/she cared about the value of the "showcat" and not the cat itself. I think that he/she felt the snake owner was responsible, because he/she was wanting to put blame on someone other than himself, and that he hoped to get compensation. I think that was just his way of proving to himself that he wasn't at fault, even though he was. He missed his animal, and didn't want to feel guilty, even though he does need to learn his lesson, I think he could have used advice and condolences rather than harsh words.

This is not meaning to sound rude or upset anyone on TCS. I am just giving my honest opinion.